The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Quitongo back at Cappielow. Probably played his best football of his career at Morton. Off the field he can be a bit of a throbber and has been prone to injuries, so a bit of a gamble

He does give us better attacking options than say Oliver so in that respect our attack line has improved.

“A bit of a throbber” is one way of putting it. 

Just don’t get it at all. Physical striker which Imrie’s obviously after, but there’s enough evidence to show he just is not up to it at this level. 

Hopefully a masterstroke and we’re left eating our words, but not pleased. 

Not thrilled by that signing, but a few points to consider:

1) With his career having died on its arse, it's reasonable to think that Quitongo's wage demands could be considerably lower than an 'established full-time 'forward'' like Oliver.

2) I'd rather have Quitongo as an impact sub to chuck on from the bench than Oliver or (Wake help us) Easdale. 

3) Any Morton fan who supported giving Blues a new deal has no right to complain about the quality of the rest of the squad.

TL;Dr - If it is a case of being able to add Quitongo and have some budget left over to help add a forward of genuine quality (for this level) then it would be a shrewd move. But there's a large amount of uncertainty within that argument. 

I would imagine Dougie would be looking to utilise him wide in a front 3. Not what any of us were expecting but need to trust Dougie and hopefully it pays off. A fit, on fire Quitongo is more than capable of being a threat at this level but I have my doubts over his fitness.

Least we are a step closer to having a starting 11 for Falkirk on the 9th of July.

Schwake.

Pignatiello O'Connor Baird Strapp.

Blues Jacobs Lyon.

Quitongo Muirhead Garrity.

Bench-King, Hynes, McGratton, Easdale, McGregor.

I'd like to think we will have 2/3 better options signed before then.

Edited by madton

2 hours ago, madton said:

A fit, on fire Quitongo is more than capable of being a threat at this level but I have my doubts over his fitness.

More change of Quitongo ending up literally on fire during a game than there is of him being fit and playing well for any significant length of time.

A pretty underwhelming couple of signings to say the least. If we’re signing any midfielders they need to be creative and IIRC, Gillespie isn’t the answer. 
Jai, we all knew his potential. But a mix of it going to his head, poor advice and horrendous injuries really stalled his career and it has gone backwards ever since leaving us. I’d guess that leaves us with room for 4 more signings, which really do need to be quality additions to the side. 

4 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Very surprised gillepsie managed to remain in full time football, he looked absolutely done at the upper half of league 1 level until he got his season ending injury. He’s generally a very tidy player in possession but he’s not creative and isn’t quick at all which may get found out massively in the championship. 

Plus it’s not been talked about anywhere near enough about his wig

Interesting recruitment from Morton here 😬 Can’t say I would be inspired by these signings 

1 minute ago, qpfc said:

Very surprised gillepsie managed to remain in full time football, he looked absolutely done at the upper half of league 1 level until he got his season ending injury. He’s generally a very tidy player in possession but he’s not creative and isn’t quick at all which may get found out massively in the championship. 

Plus it’s not been talked about anywhere near enough about his wig

Interesting recruitment from Morton here 😬 Can’t say I would be inspired by these signings 

I think you're being kind, I just about had a heart attack every time he went near the ball, he was an expert at giving it away to the other team in dangerous positions. Amazed he's been given another crack at this level, even if he is mates with Imrie.

Gillespie was miles off it a couple of seasons ago with us christ.  Quitongo at least has previous decent form with Morton.  GG looks like a signing of someone who Imrie knows, is available and not a big dent in the wage bill.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Surely not a wig. It’s a smashing Barnet it must be said. Never really rated him at the old soccer though

Absolutely adamant it’s a wig. Was completely bald one week and the following Saturday, had a full head of hair. Funnily, he became absolutely garbage at football after that