The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

9 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Any rumours on where Hamilton would be off to?  By all accounts he had a good year with you guys, but that's his first in many, can't see him getting a team in the top league.

Perth diddy men.

20 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Any rumours on where Hamilton would be off to?  By all accounts he had a good year with you guys, but that's his first in many, can't see him getting a team in the top league.

Dunfermline with McPake maybe?

The fact that all of Imrie's signings since January have either played well or look pretty decent options on paper, makes me wonder why we handed out so many contracts in the first place to the fucking jobbers he inherited. 

Loyalty I think may be a minor chink in Sir Douglas' armour at this stage in his managerial career. 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

The fact that all of Imrie's signings since January have either played well or look pretty decent options on paper, makes me wonder why we handed out so many contracts in the first place to the fucking jobbers he inherited. 

Loyalty I think may be a minor chink in Sir Douglas' armour at this stage in his managerial career. 

The "league table since Dougie arrived" had us comfortably in the play-offs. I'm still skeptical of a few players he's signed up who've been here for years and done nothing until his arrival. From his point of view they done the job asked so it's at least got a bit of logic behind it unlike Hopkin/Gus offering contract extensions out to players who had completely under achieved under their management. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Don’t think loyalty’s got anything to do with it. He clearly has a realistic understanding of what he can get for his budget.

Big test will be what he can get in up front with whatever money he still has in the bank: another defender, another midfielder, and four forward players still required.

3 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The "league table since Dougie arrived" had us comfortably in the play-offs. I'm still skeptical of a few players he's signed up who've been here for years and done nothing until his arrival. From his point of view they done the job asked so it's at least got a bit of logic behind it unlike Hopkin/Gus offering contract extensions out to players who had completely under achieved under their management. 

The logical move is to weigh up their overall contributions, the available options, and then give them a polite handshake and show them the door. Which is what should have been done to Oliver about 0.5 seconds after the last game of the season. That's a contract offered out of loyalty rather than any serious measurement of his 'contribution' either before or after Imrie took charge. 

If we had shifted more players whose peak career level might be 'finishing 4th' then we'd be in a much better position to actually go on and do that. 

41 minutes ago, virginton said:

The logical move is to weigh up their overall contributions, the available options, and then give them a polite handshake and show them the door. Which is what should have been done to Oliver about 0.5 seconds after the last game of the season.

Possibly. Of all the players offered contracts Oliver seemed the strangest one to me. On the other hand the fact he was dithering on it before it got withdrawn makes me think it mighta been on low/lower terms and Imrie probably had one eye on only having Muirhead signed up as a forward. Even if Oliver had signed I think we'd be looking at bringing in at least two more.  

4 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Apparently we're keen on replacing Zander Clark with him...

2 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Jesus christ, that would be some downgrade.

We replaced Ali McCann with Cammy MacPherson last Summer so it's sort of just what we do now.

58 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We replaced Ali McCann with Cammy MacPherson last Summer so it's sort of just what we do now.

Do you think Ali Crawford will be involved with you next season? I know some Saints fans don't rate him.

Dougie has said on podcasts that he is his best pal in football so always wondered if he would try and bring him in on a deal or loan.

2 hours ago, madton said:

Do you think Ali Crawford will be involved with you next season? 

I hope not but he's under contract so probably.

You've done good business getting Schwake on loan 

He's probably the main reason the Franchise Formerly Known as City are a League 1 club and weren't scrapping it out with Cowden and Albion Rovers to avoid the drop 

As I don't agree with the name change, f*ck it, I may have to nip over to Cappielow some time to cheer on the sexy Yank b*****d