The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

44 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Fair enough, but Taylor won’t go for nothing and Imrie is under contract.

It’s rare for clubs at this level to take managers currently in jobs, for very good reasons.

When was the last time a. it happened; b. it went well?

Jobby.

The issue with this rumour is that if Imrie wants to walk away from Morton due to the state of his budget, then is he actually going to be in a much better position at Hamilton when the rumours around Taylor leaving are also centred on a fallout over the state of the budget?

That obviously doesn't preclude Hamilton still having a less terrible budget than Morton if we've just made the smallest budget in the division even smaller, but if they've also got to pay compensation to Morton to get Imrie and Colin McGowan is still floating around like the grim reaper, it seems a bit frying pan into the fire to leave Morton because he's unhappy with things off the park when Hamilton have a genuine existential threat like McGowan hanging over them.

I’ve seen people floating the “connection to the club” line too, which is undoubtedly true, but he isn’t exactly without a connection to Morton supporters. If he has assesed things and concluded Hamilton are a safer option financially (with everything Dunning’s pointed out above) then we’re in more trouble than I even imagined. 

Still all rumour and a lot of dot joining at this stage though. 

I'm not sure Taylor's departure is budget-related. It might be, I dunno, but it'll be like Rice that folk will choose to believe he's left because of whatever they want the reason to be.

Fwiw, the person who first broke the story (a month or so ago now) said it's because Taylor made enemies with the wrong people.

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

but if they've also got to pay compensation to Morton to get Imrie and Colin McGowan is still floating around like the grim reaper, it seems a bit frying pan into the fire to leave Morton because he's unhappy with things off the park when Hamilton have a genuine existential threat like McGowan hanging over them.

Not that I think it makes any difference but Imrie is v v friendly with McGowan despite the fact McGowan is an arsehole. So I doubt he sees too many negatives about working with/for him,