The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Why is there uproar on twitter about the Alba party hiring out a room at Cappielow? 

There's been SNP boards up pitch side for years and no one has complained or threatened to pull their financial support from the club...

Well done lads for voting against VAR. It's fucking astonishing that your club are the only one that seems to value "fan experience" as massively important. Cheers for trying.

Edited by velo army

9 hours ago, #Gary said:

All we are doing is charging them to use a room...

Would we also say "we're only charging them to use a room" if it was the Tories, or UKIP or Britain First? I'm kinda on the fence about it to be honest but there'd need to be a line drawn somewhere about who can and can't use Cappielow.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Would we also say "we're only charging them to use a room" if it was the Tories, or UKIP or Britain First? I'm kinda on the fence about it to be honest but there'd need to be a line drawn somewhere about who can and can't use Cappielow.

Whilst we have SNP boards around the pitch then yes I'd have the same opinion if it was the Tories as much as I don't like them personally. 

If we have SNP plastered around the stadium and refuse to let other political parties even hire a space, then that's the club being political.

We either let them all advertise/rent space if they want it, or none at all.

I would personally rather it was none at all, but I'm not going to stop my MCT contributions over it. If the club itself were to start associating with and favouring any one particular party, that is when I would have an issue with it.

49 minutes ago, #Gary said:

Whilst we have SNP boards around the pitch then yes I'd have the same opinion if it was the Tories as much as I don't like them personally. 

If we have SNP plastered around the stadium and refuse to let other political parties even hire a space, then that's the club being political.

We either let them all advertise/rent space if they want it, or none at all.

I would personally rather it was none at all, but I'm not going to stop my MCT contributions over it. If the club itself were to start associating with and favouring any one particular party, that is when I would have an issue with it.

Almost every football team in Scotland has an SNP advertising board. None of them are hosting party conferences. If we allowed SNP advertising boards then we, in theory, should allow Alba advertising boards. They're not quite the same thing. We've had images of Alba candidates using Cappielow as a backdrop for their campaigns online already. That instantly creates a link between the club and Alba to a lot of people whether it's there or not. 

I'm being a bit of a Devil's Advocate here because I don't think it's a huge issue. Alba are a complete irrelevance who will be lucky to get a handful of councillors across the country and be a pub quiz question by the next election but they're doing more than just hiring an advertising board. They're hiring the ground itself and then using the ground and club to gain support. 

And, not to open up another can of worms, but we'd be outraged if a party that explicitly called for rights of black people, jews, homosexuals or catholics to be curtailed at using Cappielow for a wee get together. Why isn't there the same outrage about a party that's going out of its way to position itself as a transphobic alternative?

On 22/04/2022 at 11:06, AsimButtHitsASix said:

And, not to open up another can of worms, but we'd be outraged if a party that explicitly called for rights of black people, jews, homosexuals or catholics to be curtailed at using Cappielow for a wee get together. Why isn't there the same outrage about a party that's going out of its way to position itself as a transphobic alternative?

The accusation of transphobia against anyone who has concerns about the GRA is a lazy & inaccurate smear. Quite why Nicola Sturgeon and her pals have bought into the scientifically illiterate Stonewall assertion “transwomen are women” is probably best debated elsewhere, but I think you’ll find that taking that to it’s logical conclusion would affect adversely most women’s football teams in due course. Many women are extremely concerned about the attack on their rights that this proposal involves.

I have no connection with Alba btw. Currently not a member of any political party.

Edited by Alibi

IMG-20220509-WA0017.thumb.jpg.ebc64d69bb273e51e3c94272b627a374.jpg

I'd have kept Russell and Ledger - competent defensive cover isn't easy to find - but I'm not surprised to see either go and can see the logic in either choice.

What I'm not seeing the logic in is not releasing anyone else. We only scored 7 goals in our last 11 games; how are we supposed to upgrade the squad if we retain every single attacking player? Now in the weird position of hoping some players knock us back for better offers, because we've got no room to improve if we still have the likes of Gary Oliver taking a wage.

Some of those being offered new deals are underwhelming I guess but in the "Championship But Only Since Imrie Took Over" league table they did get us easily into the play offs. We'd do well to get three players in of the quality of the loanees heading out tho

Looks like Imrie has went with a bit of continuity rather than wholesale change. 

He's kept a nucleus of the squad thinking  a few additions could get us to the promotion playoff's. 

His next signings and loans need to be a bit of quality if we realistically want to make the playoff's or it could be a season of make sure we stay in the division.

21 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

IMG-20220509-WA0017.thumb.jpg.ebc64d69bb273e51e3c94272b627a374.jpg

I'd have kept Russell and Ledger - competent defensive cover isn't easy to find - but I'm not surprised to see either go and can see the logic in either choice.

What I'm not seeing the logic in is not releasing anyone else. We only scored 7 goals in our last 11 games; how are we supposed to upgrade the squad if we retain every single attacking player? Now in the weird position of hoping some players knock us back for better offers, because we've got no room to improve if we still have the likes of Gary Oliver taking a wage.

That looks a bit worrying on the face of it... but I have a feeling the squad we end up with will look very different, due to a combination of: one or two of the signed players moving on; one or two of those offered contracts taking a better offer elsewhere; some (or most) of the young team going out on loan; Imrie then moving to his own targets, to sign or loan.

Apart from the defensive replacements, we definitely need: another option in centre-mid; at least one out and out wide player; a more prolific finisher. If he can get that and secure the signatures of Hamilton and Strapp, we'll be good.

So players definitely here there'd be a starting XI like...

GK ?
Hynes
Lithgow
DC ?
LB ?
Jacobs
Lyon
King
McGarrity
McGregor
Easdale

If everyone who's been offered accepts...

Hamilton
Hynes
Strapp
Lithgow
DC ?
Wilson
Lyon
Blues
Oliver
King
Muirhead

If ye include Ugwu and MacLean...

Hamilton
Hynes
Strapp
Lithgow
McLean
Wilson
Lyon
Blues
Oliver
Muirhead
Ugwu

I don't mind the final XI tbh. If the second half of the season is indicative of the performances we can expect under Imrie next season the play offs aren't beyond us with a few signings. Bit of a drop from Brandon to Hynes, no pace at centre back and would miss Reilly but it's a decent base to build from.