The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

On 13/02/2022 at 01:35, virginton said:

Sir Douglas is certainly getting a lot out of a limited team, but it's not just some Mr. Motivator trick. He's (mostly) winning the tactical battle, which makes up for the weaknesses in a squad that still isn't outstanding. 

He demonstrated his tactical know how at halftime against us at RP. First half I was thinking this is by far the worst team in the league, but the changes he made totally turned the game and our interim manager hadn’t a clue how to counteract them. In honesty, I’m amazed at the progress made as I had never had him down as anything other than a wee Ned. Good luck to him.

6 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

He demonstrated his tactical know how at halftime against us at RP. First half I was thinking this is by far the worst team in the league, but the changes he made totally turned the game and our interim manager hadn’t a clue how to counteract them. In honesty, I’m amazed at the progress made as I had never had him down as anything other than a wee Ned. Good luck to him.

Del won't be able to handle him either.

30 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Six match ban for Imrie with another four suspended. That's about what I was expecting really, hopefully it doesn't knock our momentum too much.

Do think it should he will set them up during the week and the players know what is expected. If he is not allowed to attend games Millen is experienced enough to know what the manager wants if he has to change anything.

Edited by gmfc

40 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Six match ban for Imrie with another four suspended. That's about what I was expecting really, hopefully it doesn't knock our momentum too much.

Think it’s absolute bollocks for the authorities to throw the book at players/coaches for gambling but then happily take money from betting companies.

Think it’s absolute bollocks for the authorities to throw the book at players/coaches for gambling but then happily take money from betting companies.

Can understand why betting on Scottish football isn’t allowed, but it seems ludicrous that a lower league player isn’t allowed to bet on foreign football.

2 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Can understand why betting on Scottish football isn’t allowed, but it seems ludicrous that a lower league player isn’t allowed to bet on foreign football.

Absolutely shite as long as it doesn't involve a game they are involved in who cares I wonder if those rules apply to Rugby matches and Rugby players do it.

1 hour ago, gmfc said:

Do think it should he will set them up during the week and the players know what is expected. If he is not allowed to attend games Millen is experienced enough to know what the manager wants if he has to change anything.

I don't think it bans him from being at the game, just from the dug-out  and dressing room. I might be wrong of course.

I believe touchline bans extend to changing rooms now.  Can’t remember when it was changed.   Dressing room ban probably the bigger issue for managers over not being in the dugout. 

Stadium bans are very rare and I don’t even think Adam’s picked one up during his spell of getting an ever increasing touchline ban.  Maybe not even one given up here,  some definitely have been handed out down south tho.

Not allowed direct contact with players, staff or referees for 75 minutes before kick off until after the game.

Mark McGhee was talking about it yesterday. He was saying that he'll just mic up.

Tbh I don’t get why managers sit in the dugout during matches anyway. You get a far better view of the game and what’s happening from the stand. Dick Campbell is the obvious one that always does it but McCall started doing it for us latterly.

The club have said they've asked for an explanation in writing from the SFA and might appeal the length of the ban.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the rules, the severity does seem a bit inconsistent. If you compare to Gavin Swankie, he had charges under the same rule relating to nine seasons up to and including the current season, whereas Imrie had the same charges related to six seasons, the most recent being 19/20.

Obviously we don't know the frequency of those breaches and maybe that's the issue if Imrie was placing bets every week while Swankie did it occasionally, but you'd have thought having fewer charges and the breaches having stopped two years ago would have led to a more lenient punishment. Instead he's been given a harsher punishment for historic behaviour than someone who was still betting this season.

Very early days but I hope we have Dougie Imrie tied into a decent term contract. If things go on anything like they are doing at the moment other clubs will be taking notice and just like with a player that we want to keep, we also need to ensure that if/when he goes we get an appropriate recompense.