The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

10 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

From his first interview, tho, that’s clearly not what he’s thinking.

If we’d appointed him in the summer after going down, I’d take your point; but we’ve appointed him now and he’ll inevitably be judged on whether he can keep us up (that’s not to say he wouldn’t get a crack at taking us back up btw).

I hope he starts gutting the place in January, keeps us up, and finishes the job in the summer.

He's not going to state in his first interview 'this team is a binfire and we're going to relegate it and start again'. What a manager says in public and what he thinks are two very different things. 

He will be partly judged on performances and results this season but Imrie has a reserve of goodwill to get through that regardless and empty all the duds. 

20 minutes ago, virginton said:

He's not going to state in his first interview 'this team is a binfire and we're going to relegate it and start again'. What a manager says in public and what he thinks are two very different things. 

He will be partly judged on performances and results this season but Imrie has a reserve of goodwill to get through that regardless and empty all the duds. 

I wonder which of these two scenarios he’d prefer:

’You’ll get a new-manager bounce, bring in a couple of your own players in January, and pull clear of relegation trouble’.

Or:

’You’ll be bogged down all season in a relegation struggle and eventually go down’.

He may very well survive the latter, but it’s not what he - or any serious manager - would choose.

While you can read too much into interviews, that's really encouraging and he's saying all the right things. He's talking up the potential of the club both in the short and long term rather than indulging in 'plucky little Morton' stuff, and talking about the minimum standards he expects. While a manager talking about desire, commitment and getting fans onside can sometimes come over a bit John Hughes, in the context of what's going on with this squad that's exactly what we need to hear from the manager.

It'll all be irrelevant if things don't change on the park, but it sounds like he's determined to bring a real professionalism to the club off the park.

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

While you can read too much into interviews, that's really encouraging and he's saying all the right things. He's talking up the potential of the club both in the short and long term rather than indulging in 'plucky little Morton' stuff, and talking about the minimum standards he expects. While a manager talking about desire, commitment and getting fans onside can sometimes come over a bit John Hughes, in the context of what's going on with this squad that's exactly what we need to hear from the manager.

It'll all be irrelevant if things don't change on the park, but it sounds like he's determined to bring a real professionalism to the club off the park.

Words are cheap. A headless chicken giving 110% is still a headless chicken. We need to play smarter and cut out errors. That requires improved technique and better concentration. Those not up for that need to be binned.

Tbh I would need some time to have confidence in someone who thinks a body covered in ink blobs is a positive attribute.

Just reading some really quite bizarre tweets from the MCT account about merch. Someone has asked where they can buy the hat that Imrie is wearing at training, MCT don't know where it's come from, you can't buy it, and they will have a look at the merchandise if it's been brought up enough in the fan surveys...

The constant references to "the club" are fucking infuriating as well. Regardless of the ins and outs and technicalities, you ARE the club.

I lose more faith by the day in this project.

6 hours ago, #Gary said:

Just reading some really quite bizarre tweets from the MCT account about merch. Someone has asked where they can buy the hat that Imrie is wearing at training, MCT don't know where it's come from, you can't buy it, and they will have a look at the merchandise if it's been brought up enough in the fan surveys...

The constant references to "the club" are fucking infuriating as well. Regardless of the ins and outs and technicalities, you ARE the club.

I lose more faith by the day in this project.

I widnae mind it if whoever is running the socials for MCT was clear on the distinction. Like "this is just for MCT stuff. It's entirely separate from the club." Y'know just for questions about membership and the like. But I don't see them tweeting out stuff like "oh this isnae the club" when folk are congratulating them on hiring Imrie or any positive messages. 

Everything posted under the MCT account is directly related to MCT but they retweet a lot by the club so the confusion is understandable. 

5 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I widnae mind it if whoever is running the socials for MCT was clear on the distinction. Like "this is just for MCT stuff. It's entirely separate from the club." Y'know just for questions about membership and the like. But I don't see them tweeting out stuff like "oh this isnae the club" when folk are congratulating them on hiring Imrie or any positive messages. 

Everything posted under the MCT account is directly related to MCT but they retweet a lot by the club so the confusion is understandable. 

Aye, they reply to loads of stuff as if they are the club but then when there's scrutiny they quickly deflect back to 'we're not thr club'.

What exactly IS the role of MCT now...?

44 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Aye, they reply to loads of stuff as if they are the club but then when there's scrutiny they quickly deflect back to 'we're not thr club'.

What exactly IS the role of MCT now...?

To provide a veneer of 'community ownership' to outsiders/grant providers, while a wee committee of lawyers and accountants get a blazer and bragging rights at their golf club/lodge. 

Again it's just talk and will mean nothing if it doesn't have any impact on performances and results, but a further Tele interview with Imrie today has the following comment:

"Draws are of no use to us at this point of the season, we need to be getting ourselves consecutive three points as quickly as possible and propelling ourselves as far up the table as we can."

I've little doubt that will be read as a blatantly obvious statement by fans of every other club, but after years of having absolutely tragic losers in charge it's such a refreshing attitude to hear. We're just a few weeks on from Gus MacPherson talking up how well we were doing due to only having lost one in six when we were ten games without a win, to go from that to a manager saying draws aren't good enough is an encouraging mentality shift that's a further sign the plucky little Morton outlook is being launched into the sun.

Aw come on, we will get nowhere by simply stating the blindingly obvious and mouthing platitudes. You would hope that our renowned rigorous CV and competence based assessment interview panel didn't fall for that tosh again. As if Gus didn't know draws were no good, though I'll concede he was overly concerned at not losing 3 points to our relegation rivals. Until such time as the tattooed man explains how we will win games, with this and then his own new squad, and then goes on to demonstrate this by achievement I'll reserve judgement. 

2 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

Aw come on, we will get nowhere by simply stating the blindingly obvious and mouthing platitudes.

Until such time as the tattooed man explains how we will win games, with this and then his own new squad, and then goes on to demonstrate this by achievement I'll reserve judgement. 

Re that first paragraph - that's exactly what was happening under Gus, except that the platitudes were all along the lines of "we're doing ok" instead of "we must do better".  I really don't see why you have a problem with Imrie upping the ante and I hope he's being even more forthright with the playing staff.

And re the second para - a month ago the writing was on the wall. I'd much rather it was on Imrie's arms.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

As I've said in both posts I've made about Imrie's interviews, it's irrelevant if it doesn't translate into results. Feel free to carry on telling us why he can't be trusted to achieve that because he has tattoos, though.

I love the idea of this guy turning his nose up at Jorge Sampaoli or something on the basis he has sleeve tattoos.

26 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I love the idea of this guy turning his nose up at Jorge Sampaoli or something on the basis he has sleeve tattoos.

Hard to believe, ain't it? Guy really ought to try organising his prejudices into some semblance of importance, but there you go.......

30 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I love Branch Ton's moral compass.

Things that are not OK:
Serving food
Eccies
Tattoos

Things that are fine:
Flashing women

Women can flash at me as often as they like dopehead.  For “serving food”  substitute “ sanctimonious weak mouthed hypocritical numpties”.

Interviewer: Do tell me candidate how you would motivate an underachieving forward who has spent most of his career bumming around  in poor quality teams and who seems to be  more concerned about his sleeve tattoo than becoming a better player. “

Candidate: Shout at him and tell him to give 110%

AssimButt: Give him a few eccies.

Mmm