The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

I was impressed by Imrie in an interview I saw recently. I get the impression that we've picked a guy with the right attitude. He seems like the type who deserves a shot at a job like this - and it's a helluva job he's got on his hands. 

Happy with that. Always a risk with a first time manager but not necessarily a bigger risk that choosing from the sea of mediocre managers at this level 

His attitude should be exactly what we require about the place. 

Tough task ahead but a wee bit more optimistic now than it could have been.

13 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Just the latest clown who will be added into that circus.

There has to one who can climb the ladder...

This could be the one..

or maybe not,

he gets his chance now, would be future jobber or otherwise...

certainly has a low bar to start from....

11 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:

There has to one who can climb the ladder...

This could be the one..

or maybe not,

he gets his chance now, would be future jobber or otherwise...

certainly has a low bar to start from....

Just out of curiosity I thought I'd see which managers have started their careers outside the top flight and went on to win national trophies in the last decade: Danny Lennon, Derek McInnes, John Hughes and Jim McIntyre are the only four. Until this season, at least, when Dougie Imrie marks the centenary of our last Scottish Cup triumph by masterminding another famous 1-0 win in the final. 

4 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

😁

Thank you both for your valued input, which has been safely consigned to the round file where it belongs.

Moving on..............

I wasn’t actually calling Imrie a clown as I quite like him I was just referring to another person joining the merry-go-round or circus as the previous guy mentioned.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Just out of curiosity I thought I'd see which managers have started their careers outside the top flight and went on to win national trophies in the last decade: Danny Lennon, Derek McInnes, John Hughes and Jim McIntyre are the only four. Until this season, at least, when Dougie Imrie marks the centenary of our last Scottish Cup triumph by masterminding another famous 1-0 win in the final. 

My thoughts are that someone at some point , hopefully now Imrie can make that step up..

I'll take survival this year..

There's an awfy high failure rate..

It has to be better than Guffball

I wanted to see what he'd do as Accies manager. He seemed to be quite switched on tactically (played in pretty much every position) and did extremely well with a talented group of youngsters, loads of whom are now first-team players.

The one thing I was concerned with was how spiky a character he is but Morton fans seem to be happy with that. He's either gonna be a tough authority figure or fall out with everyone.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I wanted to see what he'd do as Accies manager. He seemed to be quite switched on tactically (played in pretty much every position) and did extremely well with a talented group of youngsters, loads of whom are now first-team players.

The one thing I was concerned with was how spiky a character he is but Morton fans seem to be happy with that. He's either gonna be a tough authority figure or fall out with everyone.

Fair comment.

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

That is what some players need their arses kicked and the duds hopefully kicked out in January.

All for this... and fully expect that it'll be weeks not months before we know if it's going to work. Either he gets a response out of the players immediately and shuffles the squad in January... or he doesn't, in which case this will be some first job for him.

Sunday's game just got even bigger...

29 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

All for this... and fully expect that it'll be weeks not months before we know if it's going to work. Either he gets a response out of the players immediately and shuffles the squad in January... or he doesn't, in which case this will be some first job for him.

If I were a new manager I'd much rather face the task of a total rebuild in a lower tier rather than circling the drain yet again at this level.  That was a distinct advantage that Duffy had taking over in 2014, while his acolytes were busy whinging about us not keeping a solid squad of, err, Jamie McCormack and David Robertson on board for him to work with. 

Imrie has got relatively little to lose by taking over at this point in the campaign. The disconnect between the first team will not be fully removed though until the bad stench in the backroom staff as well as multiple players are emptied though. Today's other news makes me pessimistic about Imrie getting the chance to do all of that next month, but he can still hopefully make a start. 

Edited by vikingTON

Well not my pick. 

No record in management, worked bring boys on, yes had attitude but not a team player.

On the positive, and by God we need it, didn't  fancy the list of failures that generally circulate the broken wagon.

Hope he doesn't take advice from the supporters this and other forums and brings his own skills to the job.

Sure Muirhead should be shown the door, attitude has been shite and to impose your command you need a sacrifice, but let's see what impact he has getting others to convert their potential into points.

This is a big job for him, let's not kid ourselves, getting to 7th in May would be real achievement.

The future is bright let's hope its blue and white.

Edited by Paisley Ton
Improvement

7 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

Well not my pick. 

No record in management, worked bring boys on, yes had attitude but not a team player.

On the positive, and by God we need it, didn't  fancy the list of failures that generally circulate the broken wagon.

Hope he doesn't take advice from the supporters this and other forums and brings his own skills to the job.

Sure Muirhead should be shown the door, attitude has been shite and to impose your command you need a sacrifice, but let's see what impact he has getting others to convert their potential into points.

This is a big job for him, let's not kid ourselves, getting to 7th in May would be real achievement.

The future is bright let's hope its blue and white.

The guy that won the League & Scottish Cup last season with St Johnstone had “no record in management” 

4 hours ago, virginton said:

If I were a new manager I'd much rather face the task of a total rebuild in a lower tier rather than circling the drain yet again at this level.  That was a distinct advantage that Duffy had taking over in 2014, while his acolytes were busy whinging about us not keeping a solid squad of, err, Jamie McCormack and David Robertson on board for him to work with. 

Imrie has got relatively little to lose by taking over at this point in the campaign. The disconnect between the first team will not be fully removed though until the bad stench in the backroom staff as well as multiple players are emptied though. Today's other news makes me pessimistic about Imrie getting the chance to do all of that next month, but he can still hopefully make a start. 

From his first interview, tho, that’s clearly not what he’s thinking.

If we’d appointed him in the summer after going down, I’d take your point; but we’ve appointed him now and he’ll inevitably be judged on whether he can keep us up (that’s not to say he wouldn’t get a crack at taking us back up btw).

I hope he starts gutting the place in January, keeps us up, and finishes the job in the summer.