The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

12 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Would say cometely unlikely to all of them.

Probably, aye. Add Jackie McNamara as another that I’d both happily see appointed and who’d also likely be out of our reach.

Funnily enough, in the past I’ve actively disliked all of those I’ve suggested, but I think we need someone like that.

Final point from me is that, despite being awful this season, we’re not cut adrift and actually have the luxury of a bit of time - I think we should take it and invite applications so we cast the net wide.

8 minutes ago, Morton Supporter said:

Probably, aye. Add Jackie McNamara as another that I’d both happily see appointed and who’d also likely be out of our reach.

It's not about out of reach with the suggestions.

We won't be paying compensation for a manager with a club, so Murray and Hartley are out.

Archibald won't be leaving his horrible little 'family club' and McCann has a job away from being a manager now so isn't in the market (or would likely have a gig elsewhere already).

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

It's not about out of reach with the suggestions.

We won't be paying compensation for a manager with a club, so Murray and Hartley are out.

Archibald won't be leaving his horrible little 'family club' and McCann has a job away from being a manager now so isn't in the market (or would likely have a gig elsewhere already).

Archie wouldn't piss on you if you were in fire.

McCall might do something to your shoes however...

I wasn't there on Saturday but as I understand it there were multiple witnesses to the racism and it was fans standing around the culprits who informed the stewards to remove them, so it shouldn't be difficult for the club to get the evidence and take action. Absolutely vile behaviour and glad to hear that many people challenged it. Hopefully Ugwu was at least spared having to hear it directly.

On the manager front, the Tele is reporting that both Rice and Dougie Imrie are interested.

Imrie is an interesting suggestion, provided it’s not as an underling to Brian Rice.

Obviously none of us can assess how he’d likely fare as a manager, but it’s tempting to look at his playing career and the application he demonstrated and be tempted to want that sort of attitude in the guy leading us.

My impression of him is that he’d be someone unwilling to accept the excuses and poor standards that have abound the club for the past few seasons - not to say any manager will necessarily avoid relegation this year (or, if we are, that they should be fully judged on that).

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Wouldn't be against Imrie with Rice as an assistant mind you. Just not the other way round

Brilliant stuff. Forget all this proven track record of success bollocks and let’s go for guys who were involved with failed teams.

Presumably in your world a ban for breaching SFA rules on gambling is a big tick on the old CV.

2 hours ago, Morton Supporter said:

Imrie is an interesting suggestion, provided it’s not as an underling to Brian Rice.

Obviously none of us can assess how he’d likely fare as a manager, but it’s tempting to look at his playing career and the application he demonstrated and be tempted to want that sort of attitude in the guy leading us.

My impression of him is that he’d be someone unwilling to accept the excuses and poor standards that have abound the club for the past few seasons - not to say any manager will necessarily avoid relegation this year (or, if we are, that they should be fully judged on that).

No way bin this guy.

In our last relegation his attitude and self importance greatly disturbed team spirit ending in 11 individuals and no teamwork.

Was glad to see the back of him.

43 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

Presumably in your world a ban for breaching SFA rules on gambling is a big tick on the old CV.

Depends if his coupon came up or not.

If it did it shows a fine, detailed knowledge of football which could help us out both tactically and financially.

Good result last night! Knocking the league leaders out of the Cup's got to be a good result in anyone's book. Hopefully you'll beat Motherwell and we'll get drawn together at Cappielow. 

I was a bit surprised when I heard that Gus had been sacked, as a draw up at ICT and a point against Ayr weren't the worst of results, but the table doesn't lie. 

41 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

I was a bit surprised when I heard that Gus had been sacked, as a draw up at ICT and a point against Ayr weren't the worst of results, but the table doesn't lie. 

Neither do his stats -

Played 24 Won 3(three).

On 07/12/2021 at 16:22, Morton Supporter said:

My impression of him is that he’d be someone unwilling to accept the excuses and poor standards that have abound the club for the past few seasons

This would be in the same way that perhaps Alex Rae wouldn't accept excuses and poor standards.

Imries a rocket, give him the job, and you'll have a rocket in charge. It'll be fun (for us), but probably won't get you anywhere but relegated

On 07/12/2021 at 18:38, Paisley Ton said:

No way bin this guy.

In our last relegation his attitude and self importance greatly disturbed team spirit ending in 11 individuals and no teamwork.

Was glad to see the back of him.

With all the issues we had in 13/14, picking out Dougie Imrie as the problem is a wild take. He was the best player in a squad full of shite and one of the very few individuals whose attitude wasn't a problem. The idea there was some great team spirit disrupted by him being selfish or something has no relation to anything that happened on the pitch: if we'd had a few more players with his ability and attitude we might have had a shot at staying up rather than being a sub-30 point embarrassment.

None of this says anything about how he'd be as manager of course, and I don't tend to think sitting in a relegation battle with a flawed squad and only two wins all season is the best time to gamble on a first time manager. However, if it was to be a straight choice between a gamble on Imrie or a merry go round name like Rice, McCann or Canning, I'd rather take the risk than go with a proven failure.

Obviously that doesn't have to be a straight choice and we could possibly get a more interesting name than either option.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

With all the issues we had in 13/14, picking out Dougie Imrie as the problem is a wild take. He was the best player in a squad full of shite and one of the very few individuals whose attitude wasn't a problem. The idea there was some great team spirit disrupted by him being selfish or something has no relation to anything that happened on the pitch: if we'd had a few more players with his ability and attitude we might have had a shot at staying up rather than being a sub-30 point embarrassment.

None of this says anything about how he'd be as manager of course, and I don't tend to think sitting in a relegation battle with a flawed squad and only two wins all season is the best time to gamble on a first time manager. However, if it was to be a straight choice between a gamble on Imrie or a merry go round name like Rice, McCann or Canning, I'd rather take the risk than go with a proven failure.

Obviously that doesn't have to be a straight choice and we could possibly get a more interesting name than either option.

While you post a lot of decent comments I don't agree on this point.

My vivid experience of the player and body language was deeply negative.

Yes other contributed but Imrie is not a fit.