The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

9 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Would be very surprised if Darren Young is not on the radar

Anyone as long it isn't part of the usual dossers who roundabout the Scottish management scene.

we all know who they are..

A big test ahead for those new in charge..

just none of this ' steady hands, bring stability to the club, keep us up etc etc' pish

15 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Pl: 23 W: 3 D 11 L: 9 GF: 19 GA: 28 Pts: 20

Not double checked the figures but he leaves with a record below 1 win in 7 and less than a point per game and less than a goal a game.

You're missing the 3-2 defeat v Queen of the South again.

A league record of P24 W3 D11 L10 F21 A31, giving him PPG of 0.83: the worst record of any Morton manager in the last 20 years, with only Allan Evans worse than him in the last 36. An unmitigated disaster who has literally been worse than Kenny Shiels.

Honestly thought he'd be a decent appointment that was destined to fail due to his St Mirren links and his overwhelming tendency to play the most negative of football.

Turns out he was just utter shite. 

I don’t think Young would be a necessarily bad appointment. He led us to our highest finish in L1 in a very long time and had us playing some good football. This season was a disaster though and he probably should have left in the summer when his stock was high as the squad had reached the end of its cycle and a big overhaul was needed. We signed some absolute jobbers in the summer, by the sounds of things because the board didn’t want to spend some money to revamp the squad so it’s probably tarnished his reputation a little.

There's no realistic option that will please everyone I dont think.  Of course McInnes coming in and doing a turn until the end of the season would be the dream scenario but I can't see him risking it.

Of the out of work options, McCann or Kettlewell would be ok, both did good jobs in this league recently. Kettlewell would take it I think, not sure McCann would.

Then I'm struggling. 

Keith Lasley maybe. Worked as a coach/Assistant for a few years and might want to become his own man. Lives local too.  

Like the idea of thinking outside the box and bringing someone a bit different in but we did that with JJ and it never worked at all.

No to Rice, Caldwell, Grant etc.

Fully expect Sutton to get the gig seeing as we are probably skint after paying off Gus and Andy. Don't think he is the answer at all.

Worry i have is the squad depth and lack of options available to actually have an impact. We have a decent enough spine but lack quality in the wide areas so big job for whoever comes in and I'm not sure he will have funds available to add his own players in Jan.

With a game tomorrow, could do with an update today on the short term plan.

He was bagged so quickly after the game I doubt there could have been much discussion over who takes over when the decision was made. Ye think they've bagged him and then left without organising someone to take training today?

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

18 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

He was bagged so quickly after the game I doubt there could have been much discussion over who takes over when the decision was made. Ye think they've bagged him and then left without organising someone to take training today?

That sounds like a very Morton thing to do tbf

1 hour ago, madton said:

There's no realistic option that will please everyone I dont think.  Of course McInnes coming in and doing a turn until the end of the season would be the dream scenario but I can't see him risking it.

Of the out of work options, McCann or Kettlewell would be ok, both did good jobs in this league recently. Kettlewell would take it I think, not sure McCann would.

Then I'm struggling. 

Keith Lasley maybe. Worked as a coach/Assistant for a few years and might want to become his own man. Lives local too.  

Like the idea of thinking outside the box and bringing someone a bit different in but we did that with JJ and it never worked at all.

No to Rice, Caldwell, Grant etc.

Fully expect Sutton to get the gig seeing as we are probably skint after paying off Gus and Andy. Don't think he is the answer at all.

Worry i have is the squad depth and lack of options available to actually have an impact. We have a decent enough spine but lack quality in the wide areas so big job for whoever comes in and I'm not sure he will have funds available to add his own players in Jan.

With a game tomorrow, could do with an update today on the short term plan.

Would be pretty happy with Kettleworth or McCann, someone in that kinda bracket! I liked the JJ move and I think most people did, just didn't work out but I would like to see us give that a go again rather than your Brian Rice type gaffers! 

42 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

Would be pretty happy with Kettleworth or McCann, someone in that kinda bracket! I liked the JJ move and I think most people did, just didn't work out but I would like to see us give that a go again rather than your Brian Rice type gaffers! 

What makes Kettlewell any different to Rice? Their manager CVs as practically identical in terms of experience and 'achievements'. 

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

What makes Kettlewell any different to Rice? Their manager CVs as practically identical in terms of experience and 'achievements'. 

In terms of experience and achievements, true, not much to shout about, Rice on paper probably would be the better shout by a baw hair, just how I feel, I'd personally prefer a younger manager in Kettleworth. I'm just going by what names have been mentioned, I have no doubts it'll be Sutton.

22 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

In terms of experience and achievements, true, not much to shout about, Rice on paper probably would be the better shout by a baw hair, just how I feel, I'd personally prefer a younger manager in Kettleworth. I'm just going by what names have been mentioned, I have no doubts it'll be Sutton.

Gonna stop calling him Kettleworth?

Kettlewell.

I suspect that the performance against QotS on Wednesday, as well as the time for the board to speak on the journey home, played as much in McPherson’s sacking as events on Saturday.

But clearly the right decision and one I never had faith the board would make due to the costs.

Looking ahead, we badly need someone to inject a bit of confidence into this club, on and off the park, based on previous success (as a manager or player).  A strong personality who can give the whole place a shake, someone not afraid to piss people off after nearly five seasons of circling the drain.

And someone who can both give us a shot of staying up this season with our dross team, but who would also be capable of bringing together a reinvigorated squad for a tilt at promotion from League 1 next year.

All nebulous things, granted, so I’m thinking (in order of preference):

Paul Hartley

Neil McCann

Alan Archibald

Ian Murray

I’m not sure how likely any of those are, but please avoid Brian Rice and the usual suspects - with many people already disillusioned with MCT (some rightly, some wrongly IMO) the board need to recognise that this appointment could be a turning point for the club not only on the park.