The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

🙄  Ok, phonefart ain’t allowing me to edit the post above [now deleted], so let’s start again…….

On 19/10/2021 at 09:30, Branch Ton said:

It was always likely that a fans’ football forum would attract a bunch of wannabee "fannies"

6 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Fixed that for you. 👍

However to retain the old regimes' shonky accountant,  who plays football vicariously through his spreadsheets, is simply a backward step 

Its also unacceptable to have numpties and abusive trolls like data breaching Bishop Len in any communication role. The fact that he is in one simply underlines the new regimes lack of judgement.

Genuine question: what do you know, or think you know, about Nick Robinson that leads you to refer to him, once again, as a “shonky accountant” ?  And what makes you think he has any influence on the football side of things? That’s not what he’s there for. Seems to me this is purely a personal dislike for the guy from you and you have absolutely no idea of how good, bad or indifferent his contribution to the club is, was or will be.  He’s been voted onto the board by the new regime, who have been working with him for months, so presumably he’s been doing something right.

Equally, I don’t know and can’t be arsed looking into who “Bishop Len” is, or what he's allegedly done, but I wonder why he’s another target of your bile. If there’s anything he’s done in the past that reflected badly on him or an employer then I’m willing to accept that as long as he can do a worthwhile job for Morton, much as I am with Allan Lithgow.  

Looks to me like in both cases this is just personal hatred from you, which you do have previous for. If not, let us have chapter and verse on your legitimate reasons for not wanting them at the club.

Its a win business but the Board should also  be setting the  expected playing style.

😳    err, WHIT??  First you’re complaining that one director is “playing football vicariously”, now you’re looking for the rest of the board to pitch in too. Selecting a football team by committee was universally given up as a failed concept many years ago. And, when the time comes to appointa new manager, none worth his salt would accept any interference in team matters.  If you’re going to continually snipe at the club, the board and individuals then how about you come up with some legitimate and specific reasons instead of the unsubstantiated and scattergun crap in that post? Or, better still shut up and give us peace?

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

13 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

🙄  Ok, phonefart ain’t allowing me to edit the post above at the mo, so let’s start again…….

Genuine question: what do you know about Stuart Duncan that leads you to refer to him, once again, as a “shonky accountant” ?  And what makes you think he has any influence on the football side of things? That’s not what he’s there for. Seems to me this is purely a personal dislike for the guy from you and you have absolutely no idea of how good, bad or indifferent his contribution to the club is, was or will be.  He’s been voted onto the board by the new regime, who have been working with him for months, so presumably he’s been doing something right.

Equally, I don’t know and can’t be arsed looking into who “Bishop Len” is, but I wonder why he’s another target of your bile. If there’s anything he’s done in the past that reflected badly on him or an employer then I’m willing to accept that as long as he can do a worthwhile job for Morton, much as I am with Allan Lithgow.  

Looks to me like in both cases this is just personal hatred from you, which you do have previous for. If not, let us have chapter and verse on your legitimate reasons for not wanting them at the club.

😳    err, WHIT??  First you’re complaining that Stuart Duncan is “playing football vicariously”, now you’re looking for the rest of the board to pitch in too. Selecting a football team by committee was universally given up as a failed concept many years ago.  If you’re going to continually snipe at the club, the board and individuals then how about you come up with some legitimate and specific reasons instead of the unsubstantiated and scattergun crap in that post? Or, better still shut up and give us peace?

Not sure why you chose to name Stuart Duncan but to be clear he was not who I had in mind.

5 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

Not sure why you chose to name Stuart Duncan but to be clear he was not who I had in mind.

Ok then, I’ve amended my post - my apologies to Stuart Duncan.  The question still remains though - what are your reasons for your comment? I think it’s simply a personal dislike, but if I’m wrong and you feel you have valid reasons then share them. Feel free to pm me if you're worried about libellous comments.......

PS - "Because I just don't LIKE him, right?"  is not a valid answer.

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

On 17/10/2021 at 13:59, virginton said:

If there's no win on board by the end of the month then you're as well putting 'can win promotion from the seaside leagues' on the call for applications. 

McPherson has done nothing to deserve being entrusted with those three matches. He should be emptied now before the damage is too great to be overcome by a replacement. 

91C55367-B04A-47E6-A285-BB21AA26D36B.jpeg.64e5e21444ef1225c88a451d14d05363.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

What are the arrangements for away fans at Cappielow at the moment? Can they get in PATG, or do we have to buy tickets online?

It's usually a queue for your ticket then queue again to get in sort of thing. 

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

https://www.gmfc.net/board-programme-piece-partick-thistle/

That suggests to me he isn't going anywhere soon, even if we do lose the next two. You wonder just how disastrous results will have to be before they finally act.

Not so sure, I read it as a statement of fact - we’ve got two home games coming up which is an opportunity to move up the table, if we do well in them.

Saying that, I don’t believe for a moment that losing these two matches (even heavily) will see McPherson gone, owing to having to pay him off.

10 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Pl: 19 W: 2 D 9 L: 8 GF: 13 GA: 23 Pts: 15

That's us back to the worst PPG of any Morton manager in 35 years. Well done Gus.

It's now played 20, won 2, drawn 10, so 0.8 PPG which means he remains only the worst in the last 20 years. Just the 14 previous managers better than him.

Although, while records do get a bit unreliable the further back you go, I'm 99% sure he has the worst league win ratio of any manager in the club's history. I haven't figured out who was managing us in 1901/02 & 02/03 as they might be worse if they weren't in charge for years before as well, but we definitely haven't had a single manager as incapable of winning league games as Gus MacPherson in 119 years.

7 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Although, while records do get a bit unreliable the further back you go, I'm 99% sure he has the worst league win ratio of any manager in the club's history. I haven't figured out who was managing us in 1901/02 & 02/03 as they might be worse if they weren't in charge for years before as well, but we definitely haven't had a single manager as incapable of winning league games as Gus MacPherson in 119 years.

Ah yeah. I forgot about the Partick game.

So the worst league manager since the team was chosen by committee. And that was in the years after Victoria's death in the middle of the Boxer rebellion so probably had other concerns...

That bright idea of 'giving Gus three games to turn it around' has worked out as well as could be predicted, with the team continuing to lurch from one tombola lineup to another and circle the drain at the bottom of the table. Three games for a new manager to get back into the pack have been pointlessly squandered on a proven dud. After Dunfermline on Saturday, our remaining second quarter fixtures get much tougher. 

We've just missed the exit point to bin McPherson and give his successor a good chance of success in this league campaign. We should be sounding out someone who can oversee a complete rebuild, regardless of which league that is carried out in. 

Edited by vikingTON