The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

22 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

.. even a couple of the Arbroath lads have come on and agreed that infighting is more or less the norm, especially when a team is struggling. 

That seems to be the problem, we have been struggling since Pie and Bovril started.

Only the old supporters were around when we last had good times but sadly there was no social  media platforms in existence to test your theory.

10 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

I was always reluctant when folk spoke about fan ownership at Ayr because I know how quickly some of the fans abandon ship when we're shite 

Be interesting to see how this goes at Morton, in many ways a similar sized club and a similar sized town to Ayr. Might make more fans willing to invest. 

The point of fan investment is to secure the club's assets going forward. It should be a fan-owned but not necessarily a fan-run club: if there are competent management figures who can be brought in to do a good job of running the club side of the partnership, they should do that just as they should have done (but didn't) under the Raes.

The fan investment so far has staved off a probable administration event and taken the club's key assets out of private hands. Going forward, fan investment is needed to update the club's infrastructure to generate more revenue on matchday and during the rest of each fortnight as well. It should not be used to just plug a hole in a first team budget for utter jobbers like Muirhead and MCT have at least publicly stated their commitment to a break-even budget within three years. It's the only way forward, so long as the club is growing on the commercial side as well. 

Edited by vikingTON

Strong agree.

I've always been of the view that the ideal model for us would be a 50-50 between a supporters' organisation and an individual with some moderate scope to invest. That can only realistically happen, though, if the supporters' organisation first takes control of the club and its assets (done), stablises (let's see), and is then in a position to explore the right kind of investment (probably a long way down the road).

It would be unlikely to happen the other way around, i.e. a sole owner bringing in a supporters' organisation as a partner: if things are going well, the sole owner has no incentive to bring in the supporters; if things are going badly, the preferred option would be to get rid altogether (see Rae, Crawford).

MCT had to happen at some point, is the best option at this current moment... and keeps options for future development open.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/09/2021 at 16:55, AsimButtHitsASix said:

League games under McPherson:

Pl: 14 W: 2 D 5 L: 7 GF: 10 GA: 18 Pts: 11

Can we bin him now? Hopkin at Ayr levels of failure. 

Oh, wait, nah, despite only managing one win last season under him it was decided to hand him a two year deal. Fucking master stroke from MCT

Pl: 17 W: 2 D 7 L: 8 GF: 12 GA: 22 Pts: 13

As it stands with 10 minutes left.

This kinda form over a season sees us end up on 26 points: the same figure we ended on in the horrific 13/14 season.

Even that is better than the 24 points we are on track to pick up going by this season's record.

Absolute fucking master stroke to offer a manager who only managed one win last season a two year contract.

I'm away to the Falkirk thread to cheer myself up

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Pl: 17 W: 2 D 7 L: 8 GF: 12 GA: 22 Pts: 13

As it stands with 10 minutes left.

This kinda form over a season sees us end up on 26 points: the same figure we ended on in the horrific 13/14 season.

Even that is better than the 24 points we are on track to pick up going by this season's record.

Absolute fucking master stroke to offer a manager who only managed one win last season a two year contract.

I'm away to the Falkirk thread to cheer myself up

Over the same period, our record is P17 W4 D2 L11. 
So, we’re one point better off.

Unless Dunfermline appoint Johannson or reappoint John Potter, they're no use to us. Arguably their floundering makes our situation worse by giving gormless Gus and his mates in the boardroom an argument that is not actually valid. 24 points averaged over a season after one quarter is abysmal. 

Ayr and Hamilton have already played their 'sack haddy manager' card this season. We need to do likewise and get the replacement right. Even a moderately competent, short-term hire will get more out of the current squad than this clueless gimp though: a fitness coach already did more last season to keep us in the league.

NB: The lawyers and accountants currently making up the GMFC board need to step away from football decision-making as soon as possible. This two year deal farce is the first and only strike that we can afford under the new ownership model. They need to cut their losses and then work immediately towards creating a new structure that keeps bean-counting blazers far away from footballing decisions. If they do not, then this fan ownership scheme will end in tears very soon indeed.

Edited by vikingTON

8 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

MacPherson well and truly ‘in the zone’… and not in a good way.

A loss at Palmerston might be enough to force the BoD’s hand, but anything less than 4 points from the next 3 games and they’ll have no choice.

f**k knows what happens next…

Do you think you've got a squad that someone will look at and go 'I can get something from this'?

If not, then you'll just get one of the regular jobbers taking a short-term wage.

I don't know if your short-term finances could afford that?

2 hours ago, baba douche said:

Do you think you've got a squad that someone will look at and go 'I can get something from this'?

If not, then you'll just get one of the regular jobbers taking a short-term wage.

I don't know if your short-term finances could afford that?

The squad should be good enough to finish 7th or 8th, although it’s pretty limited in terms of how to set up (no width).

If it comes to it, paying MacPherson off would almost certainly mean no additional playing budget… but persisting with him if he can’t get a tune out of players he himself signed as we limp to relegation will threaten the supporter-contribution model.

I laughed when John Hughes got the Ross County job (after his truly hilarious spell at Raith), but he proved he’s got something and I think most Morton supporters would take it (you can just turn the sound down when he’s being interviewed…).

But maybe even the likes of Hughes is beyond our reach now.

We’re just waiting for something to happen, with very little confidence that it will.

Three games to save your job, Gus… go on, surprise us.

Why should McPherson be given the next three games? His performance has been useless from start to finish and there is no sign of an upward trajectory; if the team continues on the same level of performance between now and the end of this month, then it will be a steep uphill task for any replacement to get the squad out of trouble.

The correct time to act is now, so that either a replacement or even a caretaker can put in place fresh ideas for those games. 

Edited by vikingTON

First quarter has been poor results wise. I don't think we're playing badly, but we have a team lacking in goals and now gifting goals at the other end. They now seem lacking in confidence.

Gus was late in making signings and gambled on the loanees from England, two of the four only getting pass marks so far.

Another loanee, Reilly can score goals in this division, but he's still lacking match fitness and hasn't hit the net so far.

We are toothless up front and leaking goals. This is Gus's team and our position in the league sits with him.

How long do you give him? Another quarter? Two or three games?    He needs wins badly if he's to hold on to his job. Fans getting impatient and when you lose the support it's hard to stay in the job.  

17 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why should McPherson be given the next three games? His performance has been useless from start to finish and there is no sign of an upward trajectory; if the team continues on the same level of performance between now and the end of this month, then it will be a steep uphill task for any replacement to get the squad out of trouble.

The correct time to act is now, so that either a replacement or even a caretaker can put in place fresh ideas for those games. 

Should have said ‘three games max’… although I made it very clear he might only get the one.

And it’s not so much a question of what he should get (on which people will have different views), but what he realistically will get.

There comes a point where everybody agrees it’s unsustainable. Yesterday doesn’t bring that any closer; defeat at Palmerston does.

Other big questions, as already discussed: who is actually making the decision? And what are the realistic (and affordable) options for a replacement?

If you told me Hughes would be in the dugout for the Thistle game, I’d take it; but if we’re going sub-Duffy (which is more likely), I’d be inclined to see if the players can (or want to) respond to keep him in a job.

But, to repeat, if he can’t pull 4 points from the next 3 games, there’s no conceivable case for continuing.

34 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

How long do you give him? Another quarter?

As above: absolutely not… and nowhere near it.

Players get a sense of when a manager is in trouble; if they don’t respond, it’s confirmation it won’t be fixed without a change.

No win on the board by the end of the month and he should and will be away; even a BoD who desperately want it to work - they backed him - can’t let it go beyond that.

If there's no win on board by the end of the month then you're as well putting 'can win promotion from the seaside leagues' on the call for applications. 

McPherson has done nothing to deserve being entrusted with those three matches. He should be emptied now before the damage is too great to be overcome by a replacement. 

I don't even care which of the jobbers on the merry-go-round we end up with. Folk decried Duffy when we got him and he has a steady hand for us and, now, Ayr. McPherson has managed less points than a fitness coach. We could grab some personal trainer from the Waterfront Leisure Centre and they'd do a better job than McPherson. 

If he wasn't bagged two weeks ago a win on pens v Montrose and an expected loss to Caley Thistle ain't gonna shift him tho'. He'll get the game v QotS at least.

I have always felt supporter's reactions and comments should be ignored by any competent professional team.

Well it seems I have been too generous.

This must be McPherson's last game in charge. If infact he is given until then. As pointed out this total is relegation Express form.

Dunfermline will come good with or without Grant and we will flounder unless a new manager is found.

Sadly MCT board does seem to be  influenced by bean counters and lacking in football people.

We must win this game and the following home game if this season is to be saved.

8 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

I have always felt supporter's reactions and comments should be ignored by any competent professional team.

Well it seems I have been too generous.

This must be McPherson's last game in charge. If infact he is given until then. As pointed out this total is relegation Express form.

Dunfermline will come good with or without Grant and we will flounder unless a new manager is found.

Sadly MCT board does seem to be  influenced by bean counters and lacking in football people.

We must win this game and the following home game if this season is to be saved.

It was always likely that a fan ownership model would attract a bunch of wannabee "fannies". However to retain the old regimes' shonky accountant,  who plays football vicariously through his spreadsheets, is simply a backward step as is appointing a dinosaur like McPherson.  Its a win business but the Board should also  be setting the  expected playing style. If we go down we might not be too far away from being controlled by third party lenders who will be a lot more ruthless than old  Dougie.

Its also unacceptable to have numpties and abusive trolls like data breaching Bishop Len in any communication role. The fact that he is in one simply underlines the new regimes lack of judgement.