The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Blues has not been fine. He's been rank rotten. He's just been a slight level above the rank rotten he's been since we signed him and people's non-existent expectations of him have led them to believe his poor displays are acceptable because they're comparing them to his previous pathetic displays. 

Oksanen coming in must surely consign Blues to the bench: if we play two in centre-mid, it’ll be Jacobs and Oksanen; if we play three, Lyon has to be the third man, regardless of recent form.

We saw the other week that a middle two of Jacobs and Lyon doesn’t work, because Lyon isn’t suited to sitting in and filling spaces, therefore leaving Jacobs exposed. But he’s clearly our best option to complete a three-man central midfield.

Blues and McGrattan on the bench, as I think was the plan from the outset.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Who's plan? Because there hasn't been any sign of a plan for over a year that involves Lyon in, Blues out?

Pretty sure MacPherson was always going to sign another centre-mid… and that he re-signed Blues as relatively cheap cover, but then had no real choice but to play him (and deeper) in the early games.

Up to Lyon, of course, to make the position his own if we play three centre-mids. He won’t get a look in if we only play two.

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Pretty sure MacPherson was always going to sign another centre-mid… and that he re-signed Blues as relatively cheap cover, but then had no real choice but to play him (and deeper) in the early games.

Which is what we want to think, but the reality is he has picked Blues since arriving, bigged him up in interviews and spoke out against the criticism of him.

Blues hasn't been our worst player. He's been better than Lyon that's for sure. 

I think Blues gets too much criticism that's not really deserved. He deserved it for his performance at Partick but he wasn't alone in deserving criticism.

I thought he had a great game against Hamilton and played a cracking ball to Gozie for the goal.

Jacobs hasn't really been playing well either. So bad infact I thought he was playing with an injury.

We've got bodies in now and have options. I'm sure the midfield will change a few times over the season anyway  

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

Which is what we want to think, but the reality is he has picked Blues since arriving, bigged him up in interviews and spoke out against the criticism of him.

It remains to be seen how much game time Blues will get after this week's signings, but re the last part of your comment - what would you expect a manager to do in public - a) slag the player off the way he's usually been eviscerated on here, or  b) give him some encouragement while he's been intending to play the guy? Straightforward stuff, I'd have thought.....  

3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

All good management… apart from the picking him bit (although, as I’ve said, I can see why he’s done it in certain circumstances).

We’ll see what happens now that MacPherson has options… but I’ll be gutted if we go with three in the middle… and that three is Jacobs, Oksanen, and Blues. Too often it’s been like playing with 10 men when Blues is given the more ‘creative’, forward-running role of the three; whatever he is, he just isn’t good enough for that.

The problem until this week is that there has been almost zero competition for places; now the likes of Blues and Muirhead (and everybody else) are going to have to make a positive contribution when they’re on the pitch or there’s somebody else who’ll come in and keep them out.

Let’s face it, Muirhead has been much worse than Blues and must now be a cert for the bench… as, I think (and hope), is Blues. Can’t really see a formation where he’s an obvious first pick.

9 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

On Blues. He took a lot of stick last season and deservedly so. This season I'd say he's been fine and merited his place in the team. It'll be interesting to see if he ups his game given there's more competition with the signings brought in. 

8 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Blues has not been fine. He's been rank rotten. He's just been a slight level above the rank rotten he's been since we signed him and people's non-existent expectations of him have led them to believe his poor displays are acceptable because they're comparing them to his previous pathetic displays. 

Quick question for you guys; was it Blues who decided to duck when defending the post at one of Partick's goals?

I unfortunately haven’t witnessed the great performances from Lyon that others have alluded to. I have seen short glimpses of strong, driving play but only in fleeting moments, not sustained enough to effect the match. From what I can make out Blues is not as talented as Lyon, but seems to do what the Manager asks of him and is maybe more consistent and holds his position. I did think Lyon fitted in better in a three though, alongside Jacobs and McGinn, so perhaps there’s hope for him with the reinforcements brought in.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

All good management… apart from the picking him bit (although, as I’ve said, I can see why he’s done it in certain circumstances).

We’ll see what happens now that MacPherson has options… but I’ll be gutted if we go with three in the middle… and that three is Jacobs, Oksanen, and Blues. Too often it’s been like playing with 10 men when Blues is given the more ‘creative’, forward-running role of the three; whatever he is, he just isn’t good enough for that.

The problem until this week is that there has been almost zero competition for places; now the likes of Blues and Muirhead (and everybody else) are going to have to make a positive contribution when they’re on the pitch or there’s somebody else who’ll come in and keep them out.

Let’s face it, Muirhead has been much worse than Blues and must now be a cert for the bench… as, I think (and hope), is Blues. Can’t really see a formation where he’s an obvious first pick.

I thought you said you were giving the Blues Stuff a rest. Is B A R P an acronym for Bloody Awful Repetitive Pish?

1 hour ago, Branch Ton said:

I thought you said you were giving the Blues Stuff a rest. Is B A R P an acronym for Bloody Awful Repetitive Pish?

Answered a question posted by another Morton supporter on the, eh, Morton thread… if you’ve got a problem with that, I’d suggest you’re in the wrong place…

12 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

On 29/08/2021 at 15:15, Branch Ton said:

We will do nothing until we punt the shonky accountant and his sustainability spreadsheets 

• 2 weeks later...

League games under McPherson:

Pl: 14 W: 2 D 5 L: 7 GF: 10 GA: 18 Pts: 11

Can we bin him now? Hopkin at Ayr levels of failure. 

Oh, wait, nah, despite only managing one win last season under him it was decided to hand him a two year deal. Fucking master stroke from MCT

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

If MCT doesn't bin him then they'll be getting punted soon enough as well. We cannot afford to let fan ownership go down the tubes for the sake of the egos of directors who can't face cutting their losses..

Next week has shame game potential all over it. 

Aye, whatever anyone’s view of MacPherson, defeat at Ayr - or anything less than 2 points from Ayr and Arbroath - and he officially enters the crisis zone…

Big questions around what the club can realistically do in that eventuality… and even bigger questions around who would actually make the tough decisions.

Just pump Ayr.