The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Players coming from English youth systems might have a risk of turning out like Ruben Sammut, but while caveats apply the squad is a lot less terrifying than it was 48 hours ago. If you were asking me to pick my strongest XI before these signings I couldn't have because of how weak we were in midfield; hopefully Oksanen and Allan resolve that.

Think we could still have done with another creative central option, but we've got some more credible looking line ups now, with a few different systems possible if the new signings are good enough to hold down a starting place. Just having enough depth that we're not depending on 16 & 17 year olds to feature regularly is a relief, for the benefit of those players as well as the team as a whole.

Edited by Dunning1874

We actually have options now - jeez not said that for a while!

Time to get up to the attic and dust down the Viking helmet  with the horns and blonde pig tails! 

Every team should have a Finn in it. 

We now have a very decent forward line and hopefully players who can now supply them. 

Not forgetting our talented youngsters we now have a good squad of players at our disposal.

Lets see how good they are now.... 

Edited by Colkitto

First time on forever that I can remember us actually making deadline signings too. Bit more depth to the squad now. Be interesting to see how these new boys fit in.

Hamilton

Rb-Ledger/ Hynes.  

Cb-Lithgow/ McLean/ mcentee 

Lb- Strapp/ Russell.

Cm- Lyon/ Jacobs/ oksanen/ blues/ king/ mcgarrity

wingers- Allan, Russell, McGregor 

Strikers/forwards- Oliver, Ugwu, Reilly, muirhead.

Probably forgotten a few but that's some decent options.

23 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

First time on forever that I can remember us actually making deadline signings too. Bit more depth to the squad now. Be interesting to see how these new boys fit in.

Hamilton

Rb-Ledger/ Hynes.  

Cb-Lithgow/ McLean/ mcentee 

Lb- Strapp/ Russell.

Cm- Lyon/ Jacobs/ oksanen/ blues/ king/ mcgarrity

wingers- Allan, Russell, McGregor 

Strikers/forwards- Oliver, Ugwu, Reilly, muirhead.

Probably forgotten a few but that's some decent options.

Knowles 

Oksanen looks like a cracking signing. Brentford's scouting system is top tier and he's also had a season in the English League One under his belt already so isn't as untried as the others and has the bonus of being Finnish. Signing youngsters from down south is usually a gamble so the other two lads from Newcastle might be nowhere near ready for first team football but they're still an improvement on Blues and Muirhead assuming they both have two legs. A bit of a worry we've ended the transfer window with no creative midfielders and our only options on the wing are untried youngsters or players we've tried there before with no success (Russell, Oliver and Muirhead). I think we'll just be shelling it long to Ugwu all season. 

Which is still an improvement from Hopkin's tactic of shelling it into the corners and hoping opposition defenders fall over.

Oksanen and Allan are the ones I’m most hopeful for, particularly the former: almost a full season in English L1 (and a dozen Finnish U21 caps) is far from the ‘untried boy’ category. Could be a real game-changer for us.

Allan has less first-team experience, but you have to think there’s ability there.

We’ll probably know after a couple of games if McEntee is ready, but Newcastle gave him a new contract at the start of the summer and he’s broken into the ROI U21s.

Pleasing all round.

Now that we actually have a squad, it’s pretty difficult to predict how we’ll line up… which is, for once, a good thing.

My best bet would be a flexible 4-4-2 as follows:

———————Hamilton———————

Ledger—Lithgow—McEntee*—Strapp

Allan—-Lyon—-Jacobs—-Oksanen

————-Ugwu————Reilly————-

Looks a wee bit lop-sided as a starting shape, but it allows Allan to get forward on the right (compensating for that not being Ledger’s game) and Strapp to get forward on the left, with the other three in midfield shuffling across. Becomes a 3-4-3 when we’re in possession, essentially, allowing Oksanen to play more centrally with Strapp outside him.

Duffy fiddled around with this when we were at our best under him (I’ll make no comparison with how various French national teams have played over the years…).

Alternative would be a more straightforward 4-3-3, with Reilly coming in off the left-hand side to link up with Ugwu.

(*Every possibility McLean gets the nod here, at least at first.)

Leaves Hynes, McLean, Russell as cover at the back; McGregor, Blues, McGrattan, Russell across the middle; Oliver, Knowles and Bonnie Prince Robbie* up front.

Spoiler

* Note for the chief execs of Ayr, Falkirk, or Kelly Hearts: the window for domestic loans remains open until the end of September.

On 29/08/2021 at 10:11, Colkitto said:

We have a decent core of players. If we sign a minimum of 4 players we will have a very good season.

On 29/08/2021 at 14:09, virginton said:

Did someone invent a time machine and whisk us all back to the middle of June? Because that's the only point in a season where the above statement makes sense for a professional football club.

We are not signing a minimum of four players because the manager has already squandered resources on proven dung like Muirhead and Blues.

On 31/08/2021 at 23:08, Jamie_M said:

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future......."

🤣😂🤣😂

Oksanen is wearing the prototype top (chevrons on the sleeves) while Allan has been given a match shirt.

Why would they put the prototype on him at all never mind when photographed beside another player with a match shirt on?

Not to say that if they had both been given match shirt, they wouldn't have different looking shirts as Allan has one of the ones with the dodgy badge placement cutting across 2 hoops.

On Blues. He took a lot of stick last season and deservedly so. This season I'd say he's been fine and merited his place in the team. It'll be interesting to see if he ups his game given there's more competition with the signings brought in.