The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

I recently had Declan Mcmanus on my podcast if anyone fancies giving it a listen. Spoke about his time on loan at Morton and winning the league that season. Hope everyone enjoys and good luck for the season 👍🏻⚽

YouTube: 

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/6V19ANvyblNBI5llJdd9l3?si=F26xSgSTSwGY6bZWojvJHA&dl_branch=1

Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/a-chat-with-declan-mcmanus/id1570371231?i=1000532968031

Picked up both kits and pretty pleased with them despite having concerns before after seeing the inconsistencies in the players strips.

If I'm nit picking, the manufacturer should've removed the excess material making the badge look like a big square box but I've just cut it a bit myself to remove the square shape.

Edited by #Gary

5 hours ago, #Gary said:

Picked up both kits and pretty pleased with them despite having concerns before after seeing the inconsistencies in the players strips.

If I'm nit picking, the manufacturer should've removed the excess material making the badge look like a big square box but I've just cut it a bit myself to remove the square shape.

That's getting the fans involved

We have a decent core of players. If we sign a minimum of 4 players we will have a very good season.

Reilly is a good start and hopefully he will give us a threat up front.

Midfield looks really light, and Jacobs must surely be playing with an injury with his performance yesterday. Seen him holding his hamstring just before he was subbed.

We also need more width in the team and an extra defender. Not having these players in right now has already cost us two games.

11 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

We have a decent core of players. If we sign a minimum of 4 players we will have a very good season.

Reilly is a good start and hopefully he will give us a threat up front.

Midfield looks really light, and Jacobs must surely be playing with an injury with his performance yesterday. Seen him holding his hamstring just before he was subbed.

We also need more width in the team and an extra defender. Not having these players in right now has already cost us two games.

I’d like to see us get back to 4-3-3, with Oliver dropping deep between Ugwu and (hopefully) Reilly.

But for that to work, he has to get the midfield sorted. We’re much better with three in the middle - and it suits the individuals better, especially Lyon - but at the moment we’re nowhere near equipped to do that.

He tried to sign McGinn, he tried to sign Virtanen, so the idea we’re not looking in that area is a nonsense. If we don’t add a player of quality in there, we’ll go down. MacPherson must know this, because it was the first thing he did when he took over. Nothing’s changed.

RB/CB and another goalie (lolz) also required.

By the time we go to Killie, we’d ideally look something like:

Hamilton
New/Ledger
Ledger/McLean/New
Lithgow
Strapp
Jacobs
New
Lyon
Oliver
Ugwu
Reilly

———-

New
Ledger/McLean
Blues
McGrattan
MacGregor
Knowles
Muirhead

That team would have every chance of finishing 6th or 7th; what we currently have will take us down.

Lewis Strapp any good? I know we were interested in the last January window and with rumours that Hibs are sniffing about Jordan Marshall, we could potentially be on the look out for a new LB again.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I’d like to see us get back to 4-3-3, with Oliver dropping deep between Ugwu and (hopefully) Reilly.

But for that to work, he has to get the midfield sorted. We’re much better with three in the middle - and it suits the individuals better, especially Lyon - but at the moment we’re nowhere near equipped to do that.

He tried to sign McGinn, he tried to sign Virtanen, so the idea we’re not looking in that area is a nonsense. If we don’t add a player of quality in there, we’ll go down. MacPherson must know this, because it was the first thing he did when he took over. Nothing’s changed.

RB/CB and another goalie (lolz) also required.

By the time we go to Killie, we’d ideally look something like:

Hamilton
New/Ledger
Ledger/McLean/New
Lithgow
Strapp
Jacobs
New
Lyon
Oliver
Ugwu
Reilly

———-

New
Ledger/McLean
Blues
McGrattan
MacGregor
Knowles
Muirhead

That team would have every chance of finishing 6th or 7th; what we currently have will take us down.

Probably a good team and would win but I think the referee might ask you to play with 11 players 🤪

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Lewis Strapp any good? I know we were interested in the last January window and with rumours that Hibs are sniffing about Jordan Marshall, we could potentially be on the look out for a new LB again.

He is, but I’d expect him to go to a big club like St Johnstone…

1 minute ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

He is, but I’d expect him to go to a big club like St Johnstone…

Morton fans considering St Johnstone as a big club says a lot about where you're at these days.

I feel for you.

1 minute ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Hope you’re recovering ok from the operation to have your sense of humour removed…

Pish patter will always be pish patter. I should know, I'm excellent at it.

3 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Did someone invent a time machine and whisk us all back to the middle of June? Because that's the only point in a season where the above statement makes sense for a professional football club.

We are not signing a minimum of four players because the manager has already squandered resources on proven dung like Muirhead and Blues. We therefore have neither quality nor quantity to choose from. 

We are also clearly not being coached effectively given the absolute fucking nick of our set-piece work in both boxes, which will leave us twenty goals a season down regardless of any other factor. 

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

We therefore have neither quality nor quantity to choose from. 

I wanted to be the first one to say that, but I was waiting, perhaps foolishly, for the window to close.

The only thing that gives me any hope is that MacPherson must know that two-year contract is only a bit of paper unless he gets his finger out before Wednesday.

4 hours ago, Colkitto said:

We have a decent core of players. 

[citation needed]

Hamilton has looked fine for us so far but history says otherwise. We have three centre backs but have to play one at right back. Of these three two are past 30 with a history of injuries and have managed to concede six goals in two games. Mostly from set pieces. Ledger is a solid right back but offers nothing going forward. A bit of an issue when we play without any right wingers. Jacobs is a decent midfielder with nothing alongside him. Lyon has done nothing in 18 months and Blues has done nothing ever. Mark Russell left five years ago when it became clear he was a decent left back who was useless in midfield. Ugwu and Oliver split opinion but they both have abilities that could be used in a competent set up but, even in that set up, they ain't goalscorers. Muirhead is atrocious. 

Decent Championship players in this squad? Not many and the ones we do have do not have the quality to drag up the mixture of dross and work experience weans we've filled the rest of the squad with.