The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

6 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7788669.stm

Young daft laddy thought it was OK to sexually harass women in public in front of their own children. An absolute model Pro in his time at Livi and he'll be a fantastic signing for Morton

FTFY

18 minutes ago, #Gary said:

How do you want me to describe it?  A positive reaction? 

I didn't say it was the wrong reaction, I'm just saying that's the only reason we didn't sign him back then, as he was pretty good on the park during his trial and would have been signed had it not been for the feedback from the fans.

He's a cracking signing in that he's a very good central defender. Pretty hard to disagree with that, but I'm sure you'll try.

Not really your description of the reaction of the fans to his trial period 11 years ago that I’ve got an issue with, champ.

More describing his conviction and placement on the Sex Offenders’ Register as “his previous in his personal life”, but I dare say you knew that anyway.

11 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Young daft laddy thought he was untouchable. An absolute model Pro in his time at Livi and he'll be a fantastic signing for Morton

Nothing "model" has every come from Livingston. Apart from the 60's blueprint of the town. 

Edited by latapythelegend

29 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Young daft laddy thought he was untouchable. An absolute model Pro in his time at Livi and he'll be a fantastic signing for Morton

I can back this up as well, was a really quiet guy it seemed too. 11 years is a long time for someone's cards to stay marked so hopefully he actually gets a chance to settle at Morton.

The only thing that I find weird is MacPhersons' comments about Lithgow: "He has competed in the Premiership for the last few seasons with Livingston"

He hasn't :D He's been injured for almost 2 years. He managed to play our first season back up alongside Gallagher and Halkett but beyond that I think he must've made less than 20 appearances.

20/21 - 2 appearances
19/20 - 12 appearances

18/19 - 
 30 appearances (probably the height of his career, although now 4 seasons ago)

Edited by ATLIS

Guest Peter LaFleur
1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Young daft laddie?! 😄 I can excuse this line being used for a fight in a nightclub or the like but to be stone cold sober driving about flashing random women isn't an act of a "young daft laddie" for me. 

16 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Young daft laddie?! 😄 I can excuse this line being used for a fight in a nightclub or the like but to be stone cold sober driving about flashing random women isn't an act of a "young daft laddie" for me. 

Aye, 11 years ago with zero repeat offences. He's obviously grown up, he's a dad now as well.

Surely after 11 years, and no continued pattern of this behaviour you can admit it's an isolated incident without detracting from the fact that it was a horrific thing to do. 

Guest Peter LaFleur
1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

Aye, 11 years ago with zero repeat offences. He's obviously grown up, he's a dad now as well.

Surely after 11 years, and no continued pattern of this behaviour you can admit it's an isolated incident without detracting from the fact that it was a horrific thing to do. 

I wasn’t disputing he hadn’t changed his ways and is reformed. Merely pointing out you can’t pass off an incident like that as being a young daft laddie. 

Young lads eh? What they like?

1 minute ago, Peter LaFleur said:

I wasn’t disputing he hadn’t changed his ways and is reformed. Merely pointing out you can’t pass off an incident like that as being a young daft laddie. 

Young lads eh? What they like?

To be fair, aye. It's the same 'boys will be boys' excuse that's shot out with to pass something off as okay

2 hours ago, virginton said:

How much money have you paid out on your ludicrous bets so far? 'Losing money on a football forum because of your pea-brained arguments were demolished' is a pretty strong candidate for a bad year champ. 

Desperate stuff.

If that’s a genuine question, ask it on the politics thread...

(No arguments were demolished, btw. I made a bet (time-limited), I lost, I paid up.)

What that’s got to do with football in general or Craig McGuffie in particular is beyond me.

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Desperate stuff.

If that’s a genuine question, ask it on the politics thread...

(No arguments were demolished, btw. I made a bet (time-limited), I lost, I paid up.)

What that’s got to do with football in general or Craig McGuffie in particular is beyond me.

How much money did you lose as the result of failed predictions on a football forum?

Be extremely specific. 

4 hours ago, virginton said:

How much money did you lose as the result of failed predictions on a football forum?

Be extremely specific. 

Politics thread for this pish.

Back on topic: how many times have you been talking out of your arse this season?

How many times have you subsequently admitted you were wrong?

Take your time... and be very specific (or I will).

I hadn’t realised how bad the Lithgow thing was...

The criminal justice system makes no sense at all if its main purpose isn’t rehabilitation, but that isn’t enough here, because:

a. we’re dealing with sexual offences of a fairly serious nature;

b. professional football is a public/customer-facing business;

c. Morton are on the point of being supporter-owned.

Looks like a bad, bad error of judgement, I’m afraid.

15 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I hadn’t realised how bad the Lithgow thing was...

The criminal justice system makes no sense at all if its main purpose isn’t rehabilitation, but that isn’t enough here, because:

a. we’re dealing with sexual offences of a fairly serious nature;

b. professional football is a public/customer-facing business;

c. Morton are on the point of being supporter-owned.

Looks like a bad, bad error of judgement, I’m afraid.

The criminal justice system makes no sense if it’s main purpose isn’t rehabilitation, and yet that doesn’t apply to someone who committed an offence over a decade ago and has not reoffended? 

Bit of a contradiction. Lithgow is literally an example of rehabilitation working.  What is the alternative...

I personally think its quality business we've made with Lithgow.

His past is his past. He's obviously made a questionable decision in getting his cock out unsolicited but also in 11 years there has been no repeat offences. Which as a fan of the team he now is employed by is good enough for me. Plenty of footballers have escaped rape accusations and still managed to play at a professional level. If he fired a header home moving us into the SPL I don't think there'd be many complaints then.

5 hours ago, Tri-TON said:

I personally think its quality business we've made with Lithgow.

Is it tho? A guy who's spent the majority kf his career in the seaside leagues, spent the best part of two years injured and his only good seasons were as part of a three man defence with two far better defenders than himself who could help cover whatever weaknesses he had. 

He's better than McGinty and Fjortoft but there's thousands of central defenders in the world who can say that but can also say they've never repeatedly flashed their dick at women pushing prams.

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

7 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Going by his interview posted on the Morton forum he hasn't shown any remorse, he's the real victim and everyone should get over it.

Going by the response I got from the SLO the club couldn't give a f**k

Yeah, going by that interview there's an obvious lack of remorse or attempt to even understand the harm he did, never mind taking responsibility for it. It's not even a failed attempt at an apology rather than a f**k off, I'm actually the victim here, get over it. That's the issue.

Rehabilitation is a thing and you can argue the time that's passed, not reoffending and process of the justice system being followed means he is rehabilitated, but his attitude makes it difficult for that argument to stick.

That said, a statement on this shouldn't be going through the SLO. It should be coming straight from the club officially with the sanction of the board directly rather than someone in a volunteer role who's supposed to be at an arms length from the club to an extent. With that in mind I'm fine with the SLO's responses basically being nothing more than a holding statement that he's passing on people's concerns.