The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

3 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Millar can still coach here (if that's the plan) while playing elsewhere. He wont get another full time club unless Hopkin signs him for our B team.

I don't think Orsi is as bad as some paint him but no loss. McGuffie I quite liked and sad to see go. Yeah there were games he drifted out but he often looked like the only player who could make something happen.

B Team !! You are going be so disappointed when even your B team takes 12 points off you next season 

1 minute ago, Finlay21 said:

B Team !! You are going be so disappointed when even your B team takes 12 points off you next season 

Not as disappointed as you will be when you watch Salkeld try and control a simple pass and ending up with a booking every week

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

Decisions still to be made on McAdams, Ledger, Colville, Blues, Oliver and Muirhead, but I'm encouraged by the extent of the turnover we're having so far. If the likes of Orsi, McGinty and Salkeld had new contracts I'd have been writing us off as definite bottom two material already.

It's a massive rebuild needed, but I'm encouraged that we've at least got the potential to build something that isn't shite by avoiding saddling ourselves with so much of the guff of this year.

Millar moves on with our best wishes. He's been a good servant to the club and he had great affection for Morton too. 

McGuffie was borderline for me. Perhaps just didn't do enough in the end up on a regular basis. With him and Nesbitt away that's two wide attacking players gone.

Orsi was never Championship level in a million years. Put himself about in games but didn't do what we needed him to do and that was score goals. That miss against Alloa was unforgivable.

2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Hopefully the next update has Blues, Muirhead and Oliver away but think that might be wishful.

Hopkin probably has to confer with Duffy first to make sure they're both on the same page about Ayr's next superstar trio swoop.

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Hopkin probably has to confer with Duffy first to make sure they're both on the same page about Ayr's next superstar trio swoop.

Kalvin Orsi and Rabin Omar should be easy to add now. Hoppy ball and Duffy ball 😀

The players leaving so far seem to back up the plan to have a smaller squad. Anyone staying or joining will need to be reliable and consistent as they’ll be in or around the first eleven every week. E.g., McGuffie promises to deliver but we can’t really afford to keep players who show only flashes of ability if they’re taking up one of a few shirts.

11 minutes ago, Trump said:

Rumours that McGuffie is Falkirk bound (along with Nesbitt). Thoughts on the former?

Anonymous for the most part but prone to the odd worldie.

A drop down to a perennial seaside dweller like Falkirk might help him step it up.

4 hours ago, toms said:

Kalvin Orsi and Rabin Omar should be easy to add now. Hoppy ball and Duffy ball 😀

I’m losing track of who we still have in the squad. As far as I can recall it’s something like:

Signed:

McLean, Strapp, Jacobs, Lyon

Unsigned:

McAdam, Ledger, Colville, Oliver, Muirhead, Blues, Omar

Development Squad:

Easdale, Hynes

3 hours ago, Trump said:

Rumours that McGuffie is Falkirk bound (along with Nesbitt). Thoughts on the former?

Every chance he’ll murder League One... other posters are right to say he doesn’t deliver often enough, but there’s real ability there.

Montrose and Airdrie were doubling - sometimes trebling - up on him in the play-offs, which is an indication of how much their managers rated him.

McGuffie left, Nesbitt right, with a credible central striker, would be very easy on the eye in that league.

8 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Every chance he’ll murder League One... other posters are right to say he doesn’t deliver often enough, but there’s real ability there.

Montrose and Airdrie were doubling - sometimes trebling - up on him in the play-offs, which is an indication of how much their managers rated him.

McGuffie played nine minutes against Airdrie once the tie was already 4-0 on aggregate, so we can safely write off this fantasist account. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

McGuffie played nine minutes against Airdrie once the tie was already 4-0 on aggregate, so we can safely write off this fantasist account. 

I realise you're only looking to score points/start an argument/be a smartarse here, but much more relevant is that McGuffie played the full match at Montrose and half an hour against them at Cappielow, scoring a worldie right at the death. 

That'll be a swing and a miss, then, champ. 😁

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

I notice someone asked the SLO on Twitter about Anton, and what his position is given that the club never mentioned him leaving.

The club simply told the SLO that they did not wish to comment.

Bizarre.

14 minutes ago, #Gary said:

I notice someone asked the SLO on Twitter about Anton, and what his position is given that the club never mentioned him leaving.

The club simply told the SLO that they did not wish to comment.

Bizarre.

Not that bizarre that they don't want to talk if there's a messy employment/contract situation going on.

7 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't end up joining the Ayrshire Brain Trust with Hopkin, Duffy and Timmins

It was surprising he didn't leave when the other 2 did. Maybe he didn't want to walk away from a paid contract and a payoff wasn't agreed/forthcoming.

It was surprising he didn't leave when relieved of the Manager's job. Maybe he didn't want to walk away from a paid contract and a payoff wasn't agreed/forthcoming.

It's surprising he is still here. Maybe he doesn't want to walk away from a paid contract and a payoff hasn't been agreed/forthcoming.