The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

I'm really hoping they've just worded this strangely and it doesn't mean everyone else is being offered a deal; Butler being among the other out of contract players gives me hope that's the case. We surely aren't offering contracts to all of McAdams, Butler, Ledger, Blues, Millar, McGuffie, Colville, Oliver, Orsi and Muirhead.

As shite as he is, worst case would be going a whole season scoring about 4 goals and then trying to re-sign the attacking players from that squad - McGuffie, Muirhead, Oliver, Orsi and Muirhead.

And that's before we even think about Cameron fucking Blues.

2 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

It's an initial squad update. That doesn't mean the rest are going to be offered contracts. 

Then what are they "in discussions" about?

If we don't want them then surely there's no discussion to be had.

Just now, #Gary said:

Then what are they "in discussions" about?

If we don't want them then surely there's no discussion to be had.

Maybe it's just a case of informing them individually?  Colville for instance doesn't want to sign and wants to return to England. His name hasn't been mentioned

2 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

Is organ grinding your latest “thing” ?

😂😂😂 Nah, he's been hammering away at it since his kidult years. Must be like a pencil lead now, only shorter. 

Anybody expecting a ‘total clearout’ just isn’t dealing in reality.

Fully expect McAdams, Ledger, Oliver, and McGuffie to be offered deals.

Will be alarmed if he goes any further than that, but will now not be too surprised if Muirhead is still with us next year, too (unless we get lucky and, like McGinty, he gets a better offer elsewhere).

Blues and Orsi would turn alarm into full-on four-minute warning stuff...

The last time we had a striker score at least 15 league goals at this level was Lilley 25 years ago. Depressing and badly needs to change however I can't see us attracting someone capable of that unless we get very lucky with a young loan player or someone plucked from obscurity.

Peaso and Denny came close with 14 right enough.

16 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Anybody expecting a ‘total clearout’ just isn’t dealing in reality.

Fully expect McAdams, Ledger, Oliver, and McGuffie to be offered deals.

Will be alarmed if he goes any further than that, but will now not be too surprised if Muirhead is still with us next year, too 

I wouldn't be too despondent if that plus those already signed were the basis of the squad and his incoming signings were even just a little better than what we saw this season. That, with a bit more tactical nous, SHOULD be good enough for, say, sixth place next term and give us something to build on towards the top four the following season. 

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

I think McAdams, Ledger, McLean, Strapp and Jacobs are all solid, steady performers we could build from, although I think only the last 3 of them are signed  up. I’m also happy Reece Lyon is signed up but I hope he can channel his aggression into his football rather than winding up referees. I’d also love to see Stephen McGinn back. I’m not sure about the rest, although Gary Oliver performs better in a front two or three, certainly not up on his own. Apart from that I’d be happy with replacements.

I can't see McGinn getting a Premiership gig so might not to drop to Championship or go elsewhere. 

I wasn't that impressed initially but that could be down to lack of game time as he did look much better towards the end. McGinn, Jacobs and Lyon would be a decent middle 3.

Really hope this is the year Lyon cements his place in the team. Been a bit stop start the last few seasons. I'm sure if he gets a good pre season, he could really kick on and show us the player we all know he can be.

I don't think there's much real reason to be apprehensive about what's to come re the existing squad (at least, I hope not). 

It's only 12 days since our season came to an end. Plenty of the players will be on holiday at the moment. MacPherson & Millen will know who they want to keep and who they'll be releasing, but they obviously won't make that public knowledge until they've spoken to the players. 

McGinn would be a good addition if the rumours are true, but I wonder if he'll get a better offer elsewhere....... 

McGinn would be an immense signing for us, but I don’t think we’ll get him.

Him, Jacobs, and a Reece Lyon who’s fully fit and getting a run of games, would, as madton says, be a great core for a 4-3-3.

As long as McPherson draws the line at Blues and Orsi and the majority of new signings are coming in as starters, rather than ‘squad options’, we’ll be better than we were this season.

Gus didn’t give any real specifics away in yesterday’s interview, although he did say they want to change things and go with a tight squad. He also said there will be a lot of players coming and going over the next weeks and months. Noticeably though he didn’t mention going for quality over quantity, just wanting players who’ll do their best for Morton and themselves. Gerry seemed a bit pre-programmed when he said “I don’t want to get forensic but what are your plans. This meant Gerry couldn’t ask about certain players etc. And Gus was given a comfortable time, although he looked a wee bit edgy.

2 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Gus didn’t give any real specifics away in yesterday’s interview, although he did say they want to change things and go with a tight squad. He also said there will be a lot of players coming and going over the next weeks and months. Noticeably though he didn’t mention going for quality over quantity, just wanting players who’ll do their best for Morton and themselves. Gerry seemed a bit pre-programmed when he said “I don’t want to get forensic but what are your plans. This meant Gerry couldn’t ask about certain players etc. And Gus was given a comfortable time, although he looked a wee bit edgy.

It was basically a pointless interview  

5 minutes of pish.

Millar, Orsi and McGuffie join the released list:

https://www.gmfc.net/player-update-2/

Happy enough with this. It's a shame Millar didn't get a real send off but having made five appearances all season there's no way we could justify keeping him. He's said he wants to keep playing but can't see a full-time club picking him up.

There's a player in McGuffie and it wouldn't be a surprise to see another Championship club take a shot on him, but despite some spectacular goals I don't think he's done enough to justify a new contract. He's been a passenger too often.

Orsi just isn't anywhere close to being good enough for this level.

Chris Millar, Kalvin Orsi and Craig McGuffie all confirmed to be leaving.

Don't disagree with the decision but sad to see Millar's time at the club come to an end. He still wants to play though, so maybe a coaching role was never in the question. A positive influence with the club at heart, who didn't walk out mid season like a certain other (the more I think about that, the more it annoys me).

Good luck to him.

McGuffie scored some nice goals off the bench but overall contribution was severely lacking most of the time.

Nothing to say about Orsi. Brechin are in the lowland league now, they might take him back.

Edited by #Gary

Millar can still coach here (if that's the plan) while playing elsewhere. He wont get another full time club unless Hopkin signs him for our B team.

I don't think Orsi is as bad as some paint him but no loss. McGuffie I quite liked and sad to see go. Yeah there were games he drifted out but he often looked like the only player who could make something happen.