The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Happy enough with McLean signing on again. If we are to be looking at quality over quantity (the anti-Hopkin approach) then I'd imagine ye'd be looking at a tight first XI with youngsters getting their chance off the bench and covering injuries and suspensions. A coupla older heads around will be good for that and, of all the youngsters we tried to loan out last year, I don't recall many centre halves amongst them. Having at least one centre back on the books already will hopefully help us avoid the shitshow Hopkin had us starting the season with the last couple of seasons.

Having McLean start means holding a deeper line, which I'm not a fan o, but if he's there as cover or for specific games over the season where it fits the tactics we could do worse. He had a good season compared to most of our squad.

Aye can't say I noticed his form tailing off, was pretty consistent throughout the season. Happy for him to stick around  as a number 2/3 centre back.

Only concern is he is quite slow so need someone with a bit of pace beside him. Feel we sit too deep at times to accommodate that.

Salkeld and McGinty away, McLean and Jacobs staying is a pretty decent start. McAdams and Ledger next please.

3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Apologies troops. We’re signing so many players from your lot that i just assumed we’d morphed into Morton. 

You can become our B team, with Falkirk being the Cs and Dumbarton/wherever McKinnon slithers to as the D outfit. 

Yesh McLean was fine for most of the season, but I'm thinking about examples like Montrose's second in the first leg where Webster roasted him, and Alloa's goal at Cappielow where Cameron got yards away from him at a set piece. I can't help wondering if these were just slip ups and he'll continue to be the average but dependable centre back he was most of the season, or if that's age catching up with him and he's going to go back to the level he was at in 19/20 or worse.

While I wouldn't have kept him myself, it's hardly setting alarm bells ringing the way McGinty hanging around would have. We at least know that McLean can be competent enough.

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

Fortunately for us , Hopkin has completed his signings from there , 

Ramsbottom incoming. Hopkin likes to fish in the same pond, a bit like Rat McKinnon and look what’s happened to his teams.

Not surprised at McLean (although very surprised, still, at how much better he’s been this season).

Again, I have mixed feelings about it, because, while he showed at times he’s got more class than any of the other centre-backs, he is slow and understandably looks vulnerable when people run at him.

And I don’t think he’s been signed as a ‘squad option’; coming immediately after Jacobs, looks like a statement of what the experienced core will be. Expect him to play if he stays fit.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Happy enough with McLean signing on again. If we are to be looking at quality over quantity (the anti-Hopkin approach) then I'd imagine ye'd be looking at a tight first XI with youngsters getting their chance off the bench and covering injuries and suspensions. A coupla older heads around will be good for that and, of all the youngsters we tried to loan out last year, I don't recall many centre halves amongst them. Having at least one centre back on the books already will hopefully help us avoid the shitshow Hopkin had us starting the season with the last couple of seasons.

Having McLean start means holding a deeper line, which I'm not a fan o, but if he's there as cover or for specific games over the season where it fits the tactics we could do worse. He had a good season compared to most of our squad.

I think you’ve nailed it there! You’ve obviously read MCT’s Business Plan which was voted in by 561 votes to 1. Would the one (VT?) like to explain why

For gods sake Morton the season is over get over Hopkin and move on, you survived and have a good  experienced management team in place. Try and post comments without a mention of Hopkin he’s not your problem anymore getting really tiresome now.

22 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

For gods sake Morton the season is over get over Hopkin and move on, you survived and have a good  experienced management team in place. Try and post comments without a mention of Hopkin he’s not your problem anymore getting really tiresome now.

You've just mentioned Hopkin as many times as Morton fans in the last 2 pages. Bore off.

3 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I think you’ve nailed it there! You’ve obviously read MCT’s Business Plan which was voted in by 561 votes to 1. Would the one (VT?) like to explain why

I voted for the deal but suspect that the dissenting vote wanted to tell the Rae family to shove their 'we get the car park though' condition up their arses. A sentiment that I sympathise with entirely. 

The Raes produced about 17 different plans for the club: most of which were unmitigated disasters. The new regime gets goodwill but not a free pass because they've got a plan.

Edited by vikingTON

3 hours ago, virginton said:

I voted for the deal but suspect that the dissenting vote wanted to tell the Rae family to shove their 'we get the car park though' condition up their arses. A sentiment that I sympathise with entirely. 

The Raes produced about 17 different plans for the club: most of which were unmitigated disasters. The new regime gets goodwill but not a free pass because they've got a plan.

Fair enough VT, glad you backed the plan! Sounds like your heart believes it but your head tells you otherwise!

8 hours ago, mo83 said:

Because I don't think he is very good and we could get a new striker in if he goes 👍

Interesting. 

His goal ratio of a little over 1 in 2 this season suggests he is a player but respect your opinion having seen him every week 

If only we had a striker with that ratio.