The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Baffled .

We knew Robbie had the technical ability to play at this level? He's not managed once to stay at a team for more than 12 months as far as I can see apart from as a youngster at Killie. Only we have been stupid enough to offer him the chance. And he fucked it massively. He's never good enough for this level and it's beyond ridiculous to suggest he is. He should already be out the door.

Equally baffling is the suggestion that we couldn't possibly sign anyone as good as Aiden Nesbitt 😂

One positive for either Gus or another new manager coming in is the chance to build their own team. Due to the amount of players being out of contract and the fact those still in contract are mostly of a decent standard. Those out of contract are the ones who either split opinion or who we all agree should move on. This is outwith VT’s point about completely restructuring the set-up. I also don’t know if the player budget or wages are to change under MCT, I just think it’s a good opportunity for the new manager to shape the squad to suit his philosophy. 

1 hour ago, #Gary said:

Baffled .

We knew Robbie had the technical ability to play at this level? He's not managed once to stay at a team for more than 12 months as far as I can see apart from as a youngster at Killie. Only we have been stupid enough to offer him the chance. And he fucked it massively. He's never good enough for this level and it's beyond ridiculous to suggest he is. He should already be out the door.

Equally baffling is the suggestion that we couldn't possibly sign anyone as good as Aiden Nesbitt 😂

Jesus wept, this is getting hard...

It was your man VT who said I said ‘we couldn’t sign anyone as good as Nesbitt’; I said we’d struggle to sign two players better than Nesbitt in his position on our budget, because... well because it’s pretty clearly true.

And I said Muirhead was technically good enough for this level, because that’s also true (Kilmarnock, Dundee Utd, Hearts and MK Dons agree, btw). It’s every other aspect of his game that’s in question, including his attitude... which is why I’d release him.

🤣 as you yourself put it.

Appointing Jim Duffy would be akin to Ross County appointing Gus MacPherson or Dumbarton appointing Michael Paton. A manager who has just been punted for overseeing a shambolic failure of a season in a lower division is not going to waltz into a job in a higher division.

You'd like to think we will hear from the club within the next 24-48 hours. 

Wasn't really wanting Gus to get it don't think he done enough, but can't see any obvious candidate that would be better and would come to us, whatwith the amount of jobs out there.

At least Gus knows the players, gives the club some stability and he was scouting before coming in so you'd like to think he will build a half decent squad. Millen will surely aid that too.

I'm not entirely convinced he wants it either right enough going by his post match interviews. Seemed rather distant.

Just sort it quickly so we can kick on with building the squad 

37 minutes ago, madton said:

You'd like to think we will hear from the club within the next 24-48 hours. 

Wasn't really wanting Gus to get it don't think he done enough, but can't see any obvious candidate that would be better and would come to us, whatwith the amount of jobs out there.

At least Gus knows the players, gives the club some stability and he was scouting before coming in so you'd like to think he will build a half decent squad. Millen will surely aid that too.

I'm not entirely convinced he wants it either right enough going by his post match interviews. Seemed rather distant.

Just sort it quickly so we can kick on with building the squad 

Agree. Whatever way we go, it needs to be done quick - this week.

I can understand the lack of enthusiasm but surely confirming MacPherson/Millen and getting your business done early is the best option.

Lotta managerial vacancies and I don't reckon yours would be the plum job, if you do decide to sack them, it would leave you near the back of the pack wrt  building for next season.

Edited by btb

Unlikely but could McInnes be tempted by the new regime? Not like money is really a big deal for him. Well liked ex player etc. I mean, it's pie in the sky thinking but I wouldn't say we could write it off completely.

On 23/05/2021 at 18:28, gmfc said:

VT There is no chance of MCT making the same mistakes as Douglas Rae

if there is one absolute in football, it's that fan-owned clubs make exactly the same mistakes as sugar daddy-owned clubs.

55 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:

Unlikely but could McInnes be tempted by the new regime? Not like money is really a big deal for him. Well liked ex player etc. I mean, it's pie in the sky thinking but I wouldn't say we could write it off completely.

Third highest budget in the top flight to what might be the lowest budget in the second, knowing that anything less than complete and total success will mean he'll never manage again?

Edited by Thumper

1 hour ago, Tri-TON said:

The only way Derek McInnes would end up near any club in this division is if he inexplicably finds himself out of work for years and decides he wants to put himself in the shop window to remind bigger clubs he exists, with the explicit agreement that he can leave for no compensation the second one of those clubs inevitably comes in for him. A not entirely dissimilar scenario to Craig Levein managing Raith for less than two months after he flopped at Leicester until Dundee United came in for him. McInnes hasn't had a disaster the way Levein did prior to that and isn't going to spend years out of work with clubs the stature of West Brom sniffing about, so it's genuinely got about as much chance of happening as Guardiola.

Even if for some bizarre reason McInnes was willing to write off the prospect of English Championship jobs for the sake of a much smaller club he has a sentimental attachment to, does he even have much of a sentimental relationship with Morton? Yeah he started his career here and played over 200 games so obviously we were a significant part of his career, but there's never been any talk of him having great affection for the club in the years since and it's not like he's a Morton fan.

27 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

A not entirely dissimilar scenario to Craig Levein managing Raith for less than two months after he flopped at Leicester until Dundee United came in for him.

Levein was also living in Fife at the time. It was the football equivalent of volunteer work to keep ye busy. McInnes's return to Cappielow is only gonna happen if he's living in The Port

2 hours ago, Tri-TON said:

I'd have thought the Arabs job was a likely move for him but I'm hearing United fans have the fear Yogi has secured that position (their board must be on Dundee Koolaid if they take Hughes before McInnes). If McInnes cant get another Prem. position I think he may well again look down south.

I'd have him @ Cappielow in a heartbeat but its not going to happen. 

Ayr fans saying Fjortoft is going to Ayr because he wished Salkeld well on signing today (reading something in a tweet ffs!)

I think there's every chance Fjortoft will move on....but to Ayr?....C'mon....somebody tell me thats not going to happen.

8 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Ayr fans saying Fjortoft is going to Ayr because he wished Salkeld well on signing today (reading something in a tweet ffs!)

I think there's every chance Fjortoft will move on....but to Ayr?....C'mon....somebody tell me thats not going to happen.

Why wouldn't it? He's not going to get better than another Championship club and they're going to be one of the higher spending ones.

19 hours ago, btb said:

I can understand the lack of enthusiasm but surely confirming MacPherson/Millen and getting your business done early is the best option.

Lotta managerial vacancies and I don't reckon yours would be the plum job, if you do decide to sack them, it would leave you near the back of the pack wrt  building for next season.

Yes and no. I think we all (or, actually, mostly, maybe, reading some other posts) understand where the club is art the moment. We know we're not going to be the pick of clubs for managers or players this summer. Then again, Gus was on no-one's radar when we appointed him - certainly not at this level. And there are dozens of similar ex-managers who would take the opportunity to get back into football management. I doubt Gus particularly stands out in that crowd (in a good or bad way, to be clear).

On the other hand, perhaps depending on the direction we want to go in, there's never a shortage of managers looking to make a step up into their first management job. We're not going to be the plum job, but there still has to be the proper assessment of whether Gus is the right fit for the job. There are similar risks either way. Getting it done quickly will help, but isn't make it break if those coming in to run the club don't think Gus is the right fit. 

If reports are true

Fjortoft  - Ayr

McGinty  - Ayr

Jacobs - Falkirk

Colville - York

Morton interested in the big Montrose striker McLean, who I have to admit, did impress in the games against us

I like Fjortoft but if we have to take the hit on him to also lose Salkend and McGinty then I’m happy with that. Throw in Blues and Orsi and I’ll start dancing round the garden now! Jacobs is also a loss but we did look better with the more creative McGinn in the play-offs.