The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

I think you're giving our board too much credit, although the timing is wild regardless. They've had all fucking year to make this decision without a single league win until last night.
I'd imagine that McElhone will not be staying as claimed in our statement but is instead off to link up with Hopkin again in the near future. I am also quite possibly giving our board too much credit though.
Looking forward to see if we can top the four managers that we went through in 18/19; there's still one-third of the season to go. 

Who was it after JJ that season? Millar and McAllister?

I think Gus will see out the season tbh and the new owners can pick their own man in the summer. It’s a decent appointment to try and keep you guys up but I agree it’s come at a really bizarre time.

Not often I post on other teams pages, but be prepared for the most horrendous football under McPherson, seriously if he plays his team anything like what he played when at charge at Palmerston you are in bother. 

6 minutes ago, Rouky said:

Not often I post on other teams pages, but be prepared for the most horrendous football under McPherson, seriously if he plays his team anything like what he played when at charge at Palmerston you are in bother. 

Have you seen the nick of the 'football' we play?

Oh dear. This must be a cause for concern for Morton fans. He made a right arse of things the last time he was at this level.

I suppose the saving grace is that he hasn’t got too many games to put his stamp on things. In addition to this, Inverness have McCann at the wheel. It might just work out. 

I'm not disappointed at Morton signing Gus MacPherson. If that's not an indication of our current predicament then I don't know what is. 

Entirely unexpected and we should have appointed a manager months ago. Still strange to see Morton fans who were screaming for a manager on Saturday now questioning why we've signed a manager though 🤨

Edited by #Gary

Can only speak highly of the guy from his time at QP. Hardest job in the country when he took it. We were a total gang when he took over, bottom of League Two and taking slappings. It's no exaggeration to say we were a poor appointment away from Lowland League football.

In his first pre-season he moulded a team mostly made up of juniors and guys with little league experience and had us challenging for the title for much of the next season. Ended up finishing 2nd and losing narrowly in the playoff final. We followed that with promotion and then our highest league finish in a generation, 6th in League One. Think we were sitting 3rd as late on as April. As would always happen with Queen's as amateurs, the drip drip effect of losing good players would eventually mean a dip and we went back down in the playoffs. 

I cannot tell you how far away the idea of chasing playoff places in League One looked when he took over. The depths of guff where like nothing I'd ever seen watching QP before he arrived.

Don't buy the anti-football stuff either. Aye, he'll try and get you well structured and organised, but he'll get you playing decent football when he's got that side of things sorted. I know QOS fans have their experience of him, but he did a brilliant job for us and did well at St Mirren as well. Pleased to see him get another crack in management. Deserves it. 

Morton, bloody hell...

The timing is absolutely fuckin crazed... but I have to say I’ll take it at this stage in this absolutely fuckin crazed season.

McElhone is an honest guy... but he’s never a football manager.

McPherson might be, eh, a touch agricultural... but I think our squad needs somebody growling at them.

If he can win three or four out of eight, we’ll love him...

If he can’t, we can beat the wee Paisley b*****d to a pulp with the bloodied skull of Crawford Rae.

I actually think this is a decent appointment for you. But then again, I thought Hopkin was too so I clearly know fucking nothing. Conflicted, though: I have a huge soft spot for Gus and now I wouldn't find it as funny if you went down.

On the plus side, the guy is well connected and can spot a player (though that may be a moot point if he's out the door before the window opens). He knows your league. He plays, erm, 'effective' football. If you keep him beyond the end of the season you can look forward to a squad absolutely riddled with hard-working central midfielders.

I am 100% sure that he'll keep you up now, and comfortably. It's an eminently sensible appointment.

41 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Morton, bloody hell...

The timing is absolutely fuckin crazed... but I have to say I’ll take it at this stage in this absolutely fuckin crazed season.

McElhone is an honest guy... but he’s never a football manager.

McPherson might be, eh, a touch agricultural... but I think our squad needs somebody growling at them.

If he can win three or four out of eight, we’ll love him...

If he can’t, we can beat the wee Paisley b*****d to a pulp with the bloodied skull of Crawford Rae.

On the timing, not really that surprised. After Sat, there was many calls to change it, to bring a proper manager in to give us a chance of saving our season and the board/MCT clearly agreed.

Glad to see they have acted swiftly.

On the growling, you seen Andy Millen?

I think it's a decent appointment and hopefully they can see us through. Presumably if they keep us up, the job is theirs next season.

7 hours ago, #Gary said:

I'm not disappointed at Morton signing Gus MacPherson. If that's not an indication of our current predicament then I don't know what is. 

Entirely unexpected and we should have appointed a manager months ago. Still strange to see Morton fans who were screaming for a manager on Saturday now questioning why we've signed a manager though 🤨

It's consistent to say that we needed a real manager and the board failing to appoint one through three months of being managed by a fitness coach was evidence of their deliberate neglect of the club, while also acknowledging that finally appointing one now is confirmation their statement when Hopkin left was a pack of lies.

As for McPherson himself, meh. There are out of work managers around who didn't get feebly relegated in their last job at this level so it feels like scraping the bottom of the barrel, but this is a million miles away from being an attractive job just now. While I wouldn't say I'm happy with it, it's better than going into the remaining 8 games with McElhone in charge.

It's an extremely tight situation for a manager to get to know the squad though. If only we'd appointed someone in fucking December when Hopkin left they wouldn't have been walking into such a high pressure situation. Some laugh if having finally had the changes pretty much everyone wanted on Tuesday night - Jacobs, Lyon and Colville together in midfield rather than the massively inferior Blues somehow getting a start, Sterling getting his first start and looking better than anyone else we've had at centre forward, Fjortoft and McLean at centre back, Nesbitt having his best game in weeks and getting a goal that might spur him on - we go right back to the drawing board with a new system and a need for it to work immediately.

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think Gus will see out the season tbh and the new owners can pick their own man in the summer. It’s a decent appointment to try and keep you guys up but I agree it’s come at a really bizarre time.

Not in the context of David Hopkin taking over at Ayr?🤔

9 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

McKinnon was there for three league games, John Sutton and Derek Anderson were co-caretakers for the fourth, then Johansson took over before McAlister and Millar were caretakers on the final day of the season.

36 points from the 31 games with Johansson. 10 points from the 5 games without him which included wins v Ross County and Dundee United, despite Sutton and Anderson losing their game.

Happy to conclude that we'd have won the league with literally any other manager.

Looks like getting beat aff wee Ayr made the board decide to bring someone in for the rest of the season and it took until after beating ICT to get finalised. Either that or Anton is away to join Hopkin and we needed whoever was available. At least it's naw Gary Locke.

Well this is unexpected to say the least!  Crawford has hit the panic button after the Ayr game.

The timing of it is more bizarre than the appointment of Gus. This should have been done months ago.

I don't take anything away from Anton who by his own admission wasn't a manager and didn't want it long term. He's come in in difficult circumstances and gave it his all as far as I'm concerned. I really hope he stays at the club, but if he moves on then fair play to him.

We have a young squad of players, maybe one of the youngest squads in the league, so bringing in an experienced management team makes lots of sense.  

Now for that managerial bounce! 

49 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

McKinnon was there for three league games, John Sutton and Derek Anderson were co-caretakers for the fourth, then Johansson took over before McAlister and Millar were caretakers on the final day of the season.

36 points from the 31 games with Johansson. 10 points from the 5 games without him which included wins v Ross County and Dundee United, despite Sutton and Anderson losing their game.

Happy to conclude that we'd have won the league with literally any other manager.

An eminently sensible post - right up till the final sentence. 🤣

Well, it took a ten game winless run and falling into the playoff spot to do it, but the board (and/or MCT) finally realised the danger of continuing as we were. 

McElhone did his best, but he's never been a football manager and never wanted to be. It was penny-pinching in the extreme by the board to give him the job and totally unfair to the guy, and much as I like Midge it doesn't look like he's had much of an impact off the pitch. I suspect too that McElhone has told them he wants to link up with Hopkin again., which if true will have forced our hand. 

Giving MacPherson/Millen the gig till the end of the season gives us a better chance of being in the Championship next term. That, and seeing the Raes out the door, is all that matters right now.