The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

22 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Good luck in persuading any bank to give an overdraft to a football club without a personal guarantee from one or more directors. Ground or no ground thats not happening.

So you’re confirming that ownership of the ground is irrelevant in relation to the provision of a modest overdraft facility?

• 2 weeks later...

What a legacy for the Rae family that Crawford is going to leave the Club that his father rescued in the lower leagues. 

We won't recover if we go down this season. We knew Crawford wasn't interested, but to leave the Club his father loved in such a state is shameful.

Old Dougie wasn't perfect, but there is no way he would have let the Club wither and die like Crawford has done.

It's an utter disgrace. If I was MCT I would pull out the deal to take over and let Crawford take the Club to it's inevitable demise   

While the important thing now is just getting Golden Casket fired into the sun to save the club and we can debate what their legacy really is later after that hard work is out the way, of all the ills Crawford is guilty of I don't think he's undermining his father's legacy at all. This mess is Douglas Rae's legacy, even if he personally would never have been guilty of the outright malice which is now being inflicted.

Douglas Rae knew exactly what he was doing when he stopped having share issues and started writing IOU cheques that his horrible family would be able to cash after he was gone. He had years to write up a will to deal with this issue and the way in which he left his estate is clearly what he intended. 

I reject the idea that relegation in itself is a significant problem. Indeed, it could well prove the least bad option available, given that:

1) We'll be an absolute shambles this summer until the ownership situation, the board, the vacant chief executive and manager posts are all resolved, so good luck competing in the second tier next season as well. If ever there was a time where rebuilding in a lower league has advantages, it is right now. It won't be a one season fix this time round, but delaying the dunt down and inevitable adjustment by twelve months will resolve nothing. Particularly if the Raes swan off with a pyrrhic victory in a play-off, only for MCT to take another 13/14 campaign in year 1 of the new ownership regime.

2) The prospect of GC setting a £2 million asking price for a football club in the third tier is comical and removes GC's threat that they'll just find a better offer from somewhere else. The only group willing to take over such damaged goods will be MCT, so it would be the opportune time for them to turn the screw, reject both ridiculous 'options' set out by the Raes and then let them consider if twisting in the wind indefinitely in the seaside leagues, with no fan subsidy and no buy-in at the gates either, will improve or worsen their overall position. 

Edited by vikingTON

Crawford is desperate to get out. He dreams of having nothing to do with the club over the summer months.

His ONLY way out at the moment is MCT. I say call his bluff. Deal is off unless he writes off the debt AND hands over the ground 

We know who's to blame for the 'legacy', but that really doesn't matter at all at the moment.

Agree MCT need to start playing hard-ball and emphasizing that they're the only option (if another option emerges, all well and good).

Don't agree about relegation not necessarily being a bad thing: we might stabilise and re-build under MCT in League 1; but there's every possibility we drift into Airdrie territory and never come back.

Regardless of the wider situation, we should be scrapping for every point and doing everything to avoid going down, just like every other team around us. Parachuting in an experienced interim manager for the run-in would be the single most effective way of approaching that... but we of course won't.

56 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

We know who's to blame for the 'legacy', but that really doesn't matter at all at the moment.

We quite clearly don't all know who is to blame, given that horseshit takes like 'Dougie must be spinning in his grave at what's happening' keep cropping up. This is his family sorting out his estate in the way that he wanted; and as much as Crawford Rae is a valid target for criticism for acting as the front-man for this, he's not calling the shots. So long as we focus then on big, bad Crawford rather than the fact that the entire Rae family have wanted 'their' money back that daddy foolishly wasted on a depreciated asset for fifteen years now, we'll have a section of the support willing to acquiesce in their asset-stripping 'options' on the table. This makes the support blind to the likelihood that the Raes will come back and cut away the basis of the club from under it in a generation to come, if not sooner if their sweetie company hits a single bump in the road.

If MCT ever get round to publishing the survey feedback we'll know for sure, but the figures for supporting either 'deal' on the table are not zero and at least 20% going by the unofficial poll. It should become zero. 

Edited by vikingTON

3 hours ago, virginton said:

We quite clearly don't all know who is to blame, given that horseshit takes like 'Dougie must be spinning in his grave at what's happening' keep cropping up. This is his family sorting out his estate in the way that he wanted; and as much as Crawford Rae is a valid target for criticism for acting as the front-man for this, he's not calling the shots. So long as we focus then on big, bad Crawford rather than the fact that the entire Rae family have wanted 'their' money back that daddy foolishly wasted on a depreciated asset for fifteen years now, we'll have a section of the support willing to acquiesce in their asset-stripping 'options' on the table. This makes the support blind to the likelihood that the Raes will come back and cut away the basis of the club from under it in a generation to come, if not sooner if their sweetie company hits a single bump in the road.

If MCT ever get round to publishing the survey feedback we'll know for sure, but the figures for supporting either 'deal' on the table are not zero and at least 20% going by the unofficial poll. It should become zero. 

I meant Dougie; I genuinely thought that wasn't in doubt (anybody who doesn't get that is kidding themselves on).

My main point was that relegation is a very bad thing, regardless of the circumstances.

For a club facing the upheaval and uncertainty we are, it might turn out be a very, very bad thing indeed.

[Edited to add that we can't of course blame Dougie for not addressing the managerial situation, which is the one concrete thing we could do at this point to turn things round; it's Crawford who has his fingers up his arse on that one.]

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

Relegation is a likely prospect at this level every season until we get our house in order and we'll be in no place to do so by the start of next season. No board, no chief executive, no manager, no plan for full/part time - all of these need to be agreed on and completed before you can even turn your attention to the squad. So which regime should take the likely hit: the Raes, to cap their season of short-sighted sabotage, or a new board trying to clear the wreckage? 

That's the realistic choice that we face and so I won't be concerned in the slightest if it happens under the current board's watch. It's a failure that they deserve to own fully.

Edited by vikingTON

I’d imagine your board will have decided after we beat you on Saturday that you need an actual manager in or you’re going down. The win against ICT probably doesn’t change much and this will give you a much better chance of staying up.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d imagine your board will have decided after we beat you on Saturday that you need an actual manager in or you’re going down. The win against ICT probably doesn’t change much and this will give you a much better chance of staying up.

I think you're giving our board too much credit, although the timing is wild regardless. They've had all fucking year to make this decision without a single league win until last night.

I'd imagine that McElhone will not be staying as claimed in our statement but is instead off to link up with Hopkin again in the near future. I am also quite possibly giving our board too much credit though.

Looking forward to see if we can top the four managers that we went through in 18/19; there's still one-third of the season to go. 

Edited by vikingTON