The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Nothing new really. We're a shambles and Dave McKinnon is a clown. Shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone.

Has David Hopkin spoken publicly since leaving btw? I know he wouldn't go into detail as he's a fan of the club and a shareholder but it would be interesting to hear something from him about his exit.

7 hours ago, Alibi said:

Agree with most of that, but I think Colville is a decent player - he has a sort of slow-motion running style but he has good feet and a ferocious shot.  I'd far rather see him taking direct free kicks than Muirhead. I don't think we've seen the best of him and he maybe needs to be a bit more assertive, but there's definitely a player there.  I'd rate him higher than Salkeld for example, but maybe he gets dragged down somewhat by the low standard of our league.

I actually agree... just not quite sure where to put him and whether he’ll ever really make an impact.

There are no particularly interesting ‘revelations’ in that document (at least as far as the Tele quotes it)... but the interest lies in the document itself: not so much who wrote it (which looks pretty obvious), but who _leaked_ it...

Whoever it was appears to have decided that MacKinnon’s time is up, but pretty vicious all the same.

Dave MacKinnon was always good for Dundee. He did appoint Alex Rae (who whilst ultimately a failure, had us playing entertaining football on a shoestring budget) and left in a huff when he couldn't appoint Derek McInnes as our chairman wanted Jocky instead. His period at Dens saw us on the road to recovery despite him apparently taking 100k+ per year and we fell into another 'Dundee period' when he left.

Nicknamed the king of spin on here at the time as he loved a lie or exaggeration. For example, pushed that we were signing an ex-EPL star that would light up the league, put bums on seats and we'd be astonished by this guy signing on. It turned out to be David Worrell who played about 10 games in the EPL and had a career of being a lower league journeyman.

That aside - other than our current owners - MacKinnon was the only controller Dundee have had in my lifetime that ran the club well so I'm surprised he's a figure of hate down Morton way.

15 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Dave MacKinnon was always good for Dundee. He did appoint Alex Rae (who whilst ultimately a failure, had us playing entertaining football on a shoestring budget) and left in a huff when he couldn't appoint Derek McInnes as our chairman wanted Jocky instead. His period at Dens saw us on the road to recovery despite him apparently taking 100k+ per year and we fell into another 'Dundee period' when he left.

Nicknamed the king of spin on here at the time as he loved a lie or exaggeration. For example, pushed that we were signing an ex-EPL star that would light up the league, put bums on seats and we'd be astonished by this guy signing on. It turned out to be David Worrell who played about 10 games in the EPL and had a career of being a lower league journeyman.

That aside - other than our current owners - MacKinnon was the only controller Dundee have had in my lifetime that ran the club well so I'm surprised he's a figure of hate down Morton way.

I'm not sure he's a 'figure of hate' as such. He's certainly viewed as an arsehole who needs to go, but I can't think of the last Morton chief executive who didn't leave under a similar cloud. 

The big issue is that McKinnon is a (by all accounts well-paid) placeman of a completely discredited and disinterested owner. He has compounded that situation during his spell at the club though by:

- taking over the club Twitter and getting into an utterly pathetic spat with 'boo boys' in the support, who didn't share the groupthink that he and Hopkin wanted to instil at the club when we were absolutely stinking in the autumn of 2019. Only to make a humiliating public climbdown after grasping the folly of his intervention.

- failing to actually execute anything effectively on the commercial side until at least one half-arsed effort has already failed. Such as the match streaming setup which didn't actually work for the Betfred Cup as predicted and meant streaming footage of the first home game of this season on YouTube instead for zero income.

- this bout of snakey manoeuvering against a fans organisation that has been one of the few investors actually keeping the lights on and paying that gobshite's wages for the past eighteen months.

The only area where he has done a decent job is in protecting the club's interest and repute over the calling of last season's league, when the likes of Scott Gardiner were predictably made to look like total fucking arses instead. 

The club has been a zoo from ownership level down for years so it's not all on McKinnon. But he has exacerbated those issues as chief executive and is firmly part of the old regime that needs to be emptied at the end of this season. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The club has been a zoo from ownership level down for years so it's not all on McKinnon. But he has exacerbated those issues as chief executive and is firmly part of the old regime that needs to be emptied at the end of this season. 

Agreed, although I suspect the old regime might empty MacKinnon long before the end of the season.

On 19/12/2020 at 16:07, virginton said:

On 19/12/2020 at 17:39, Dunning1874 said:

It's good to see some Falkirk fans back here again, they haven't shown up often since they were making alias accounts to celebrate such signing coups as Gregor Buchanan and Charlie Telfer.

Tinpot Morton - swaggering into the playoff positions in the Championship

Not tinpot Falkirk - forced to postpone seaside league games because their stadium is falling to bits

On 19/12/2020 at 16:07, virginton said:

Falkirk fans like yourself launched a pitch invasion for a 1-1 draw in the precious meeting, that directly contributed to you being relegated.

The gift that just keeps on giving.

giphy.gif&key=66a2b1f9712b2628f1554160c4

Still would argue that and being in league 1 isn't as a big a Riddy as losing 10-2 to Hamilton. Or blowing an 8 point lead...💁

Edited by Daftjag

8 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Good to see some Partick fans continue to be seething about Morton for no apparent reason.

Nah you guys are fine. You're like the kid at the start and end of school we just randomly punch in the gut on the way to class, nothing too bad. 

Edited by Daftjag

Nah you guys are fine. You're like the kid at the start and end of school we just randomly punch in the gut on the way to class, nothing too bad. 

I’d say for the last few years it’s yourselves that have been getting punched in the gut, from every other kid in class.

57 minutes ago, Daftjag said:

Still would argue that and being in league 1 isn't as a big a Riddy as losing 10-2 to Hamilton. Or blowing an 8 point lead...💁

You can argue all you like (but please don’t, you’re getting tedious already after just two posts) but being fifth in the Championship remains infinitely preferable to being fifth in the division below. And that’s beneath Failkirk,  Cove Rangers, Montrose and Airdrie. MUCH more relevant than ancient history.

Still, the way things are going the season will probably be called. At least that’ll save you the embarrassment of missing out on a playoff place. To Failkirk, Cove Rangers,  Montrose and either Airdrie or East Fife.

Cheerio now. 😄

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Good to see some Partick fans continue to be seething about Morton for no apparent reason.

The reason in this case being that they really, really doesn't like being pointed and laughed at, for joining in with their club's blustering meltdown on Monday after the tinpot seaside diddy leagues got binned.

Spoiler

So let's do it again.

choofed.gif.36238632e894d58261d9a93423e6436f.gif

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The reason in this case being that they really, really doesn't like being pointed and laughed at, for joining in with their club's blustering meltdown on Monday after the tinpot seaside diddy leagues got binned.

Reveal hidden contents

So let's do it again.

choofed.gif.36238632e894d58261d9a93423e6436f.gif

Your not that special boys, myself and a Greenock fan in the work do this every day. Love a bit of MorTEN related slagging matches.