The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

25 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

To be fair I think if you put the harshest StMirren fan in control of Morton they wouldn't have made as big a mess of it as the owner/previous owners have since the late 90s. Severely mismanaged from the top for too long.

Maybe this was the plan all along to force the fans into accepting the Easdales as the knights in shining armour. Don't see much of an alternative unless one of lot win the Euromillions.

There's no doubt they've been severely mismanaged but they're far from alone in that.

I seriously hope they pull through this as I've had many great (and not so great) days at Cappielow and there's lots of good honest and genuine people there.

There might be the good honest rivalry and banter between us all but I think we'd all agree that all our clubs need each other and we've also got much more in common with each other as fans than any old firm supporter, that's for sure.

https://mortonclubtogether.com/2020/12/17/morton-club-together-update/

In essence the message is that the financial situation is serious but it's not as drastic as is being made out - ie there's no imminent danger of failing to pay wages or bankruptcy - and the stadium situation is staying as is for now.

There are still massive issues and unanswered questions here and the events of last week have burned whatever trust or patience may have been left with Golden Casket, but it's a relief to know we're actually going to see 2021.

it was the club themselves that spoke of serious financial issues and used the exact words "if we are to survive" in the statement announcing Hopkin's departure so this can't be put down to media hysteria, even if we did have a classic case of Keith Jackson taking a kernel of truth and constructing a mountain of baseless speculation with talk of clubs not making it to the end of the month. It was Crawford Rae's own statement that unleashed this and turned the fanbase at large from a common position on the stadium of concerned but willing to wait and see what happens with the lease into vociferous opposition to any kind of continued involvement from Golden Casket.

10 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Scottish football NEEDS Morton and the likes, it certainly doesn't need more Gretna type projects in the form of Kelty, EK, BSC etc, that is for sure.

Speaking personally, I don't disagree. It's certsinly not my preference to see the likes of Morton disappear and replaced by the likes of EK. 

It's what I envisage happening. 

With the trapdoor to the Lowland/Highland leagues now open the landscape of Scottish football has already subtlety changed. We've lost East Stirling and Berwick through that route and with so many ambitious and apparently well funded teams now in the pyramid system will we ever see them back? 

The current health crisis has shone a light on how precarious the finances of Scottish football clubs are and how so many of our clubs are running on unsustainable models. 

To survive, and I suspect not all will, that will have to change. Clubs will have to budget with the worst case scenario in mind not to reach the ceiling of their ambitions. If that means turning part time and dropping down the leagues then so be it. 

I'm a Thistle fan but I doubt the ambitions for my club differ much, or at all, from those of just about every other Scottish football fan. I want to see my team play at the highest level possible. More importantly though I want there to always be a Partick Thistle there to delight/frustrate/anger me. It may be that I have to accept an adjustment on those ambitions to ensure that. 

Once Scottish football settles down in a post Covid world its landscape is going to differ significantly from how it was before. 

Sorry for the long reply. 

12 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

https://mortonclubtogether.com/2020/12/17/morton-club-together-update/

In essence the message is that the financial situation is serious but it's not as drastic as is being made out - ie there's no imminent danger of failing to pay wages or bankruptcy - and the stadium situation is staying as is for now.

There are still massive issues and unanswered questions here and the events of last week have burned whatever trust or patience may have been left with Golden Casket, but it's a relief to know we're actually going to see 2021.

it was the club themselves that spoke of serious financial issues and used the exact words "if we are to survive" in the statement announcing Hopkin's departure so this can't be put down to media hysteria, even if we did have a classic case of Keith Jackson taking a kernel of truth and constructing a mountain of baseless speculation with talk of clubs not making it to the end of the month. It was Crawford Rae's own statement that unleashed this and turned the fanbase at large from a common position on the stadium of concerned but willing to wait and see what happens with the lease into vociferous opposition to any kind of continued involvement from Golden Casket.

As statements go, that is massively reassuring... and manages to cast further light on the absolute shambles that is the last days of the Raes, without being too provocative.

Anybody who hasn't yet signed up for MCT... get it done. Only show in town for the foreseeable future and needs to be supported to the hilt.

Reassuring yes but we're not out of the woods and the lack of consistency between last week's statements and this could do with clarification.

MCT should be encouraging subscriptions by ringfencing any new funding from its previously pledged commitments and seeing what they can get from wider crowdfunding again. No begging bowl, we're doomed pish required, but rather an attempt to get the wider media publicity for one-off support that the scheme attracted for subscriptions when it first was launched a couple of years ago. The funds will be required whether the current owners see things out until the summer or not.

Edited by vikingTON

9 hours ago, John MacLean said:

Speaking personally, I don't disagree. It's certsinly not my preference to see the likes of Morton disappear and replaced by the likes of EK. 

It's what I envisage happening. 

With the trapdoor to the Lowland/Highland leagues now open the landscape of Scottish football has already subtlety changed. We've lost East Stirling and Berwick through that route and with so many ambitious and apparently well funded teams now in the pyramid system will we ever see them back? 

The current health crisis has shone a light on how precarious the finances of Scottish football clubs are and how so many of our clubs are running on unsustainable models. 

To survive, and I suspect not all will, that will have to change. Clubs will have to budget with the worst case scenario in mind not to reach the ceiling of their ambitions. If that means turning part time and dropping down the leagues then so be it. 

I'm a Thistle fan but I doubt the ambitions for my club differ much, or at all, from those of just about every other Scottish football fan. I want to see my team play at the highest level possible. More importantly though I want there to always be a Partick Thistle there to delight/frustrate/anger me. It may be that I have to accept an adjustment on those ambitions to ensure that. 

Once Scottish football settles down in a post Covid world its landscape is going to differ significantly from how it was before. 

Sorry for the long reply. 

I do hope you're wrong as it's not that I'm against ambition but if playing in front of 1,500 fans is unsustainable for the likes of Morton (and ourselves), then I honestly can't see any future for the majority outwith the top 10 or 12 supported clubs in the land, never mind the start up outfits.

As I say, a punter with ambition throwing money around is all fine and well, but there needs to be a stable base should anything happen to said benefactor, Ayr found that out with Barr, Gretna met with a terminal disaster with Mileson, Boyle nearly destroyed Motherwell and Dunfermline, Dundee, Livingston and a few others all came a cropper by living in la la land pursuing an impossible dream. (Rangers of course are on a whole different level).

The bottom line is clubs need to cut their cloth accordingly and if that means cutting the wages of players and the majority going part time, then so be it, what they can't do is continue to live outwith their means and just hope that everything will be all right because unfortunately it wont.

13 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Right back at you, enjoy getting £350K less due to your seaside league status.

Reveal hidden contents

6599D01C-118B-4E5A-B9E5-FE4BAA9A6CD7.gif.47ee37d72f81bbc744d301db72d4db37.gif.86472429f787df8248dfa164e78a688f.gif

not too fussed tbh we do not need it unlike you diddies

As I say, a punter with ambition throwing money around is all fine and well, but there needs to be a stable base should anything happen to said benefactor, Ayr found that out with Barr, Gretna met with a terminal disaster with Mileson, Boyle nearly destroyed Motherwell and Dunfermline, Dundee, Livingston and a few others all came a cropper by living in la la land pursuing an impossible dream. (Rangers of course are on a whole different level).
The bottom line is clubs need to cut their cloth accordingly and if that means cutting the wages of players and the majority going part time, then so be it, what they can't do is continue to live outwith their means and just hope that everything will be all right because unfortunately it wont.

Morton have been living in la la land for decades. The fact they invented administration for Scottish football clubs when their last sugar daddy pulled the pin should have been warning enough for Morton fans, but no. They loved to revel in, and gloat at, others misfortunes whilst they were nourished by the Rae tit.

It’s sad to see once big clubs go but nobody has done this to Morton. The fans lapped up the old boy pumping millions in. The warning signs were all there.

We have too many ‘senior’ clubs in Scotland - have done for years. A cull is coming and and with the Rae’s finally saying enough is enough, it looks like starting in Greenock.

17 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Morton have been living in la la land for decades. The fact they invented administration for Scottish football clubs when their last sugar daddy pulled the pin should have been warning enough for Morton fans, but no. They loved to revel in, and gloat at, others misfortunes whilst they were nourished by the Rae tit.

It’s sad to see once big clubs go but nobody has done this to Morton. The fans lapped up the old boy pumping millions in. The warning signs were all there.

We have too many ‘senior’ clubs in Scotland - have done for years. A cull is coming and and with the Rae’s finally saying enough is enough, it looks like starting in Greenock.

Eh, no it doesn’t...

As for Dundee fans lecturing anybody about administration...

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.424e375c8d11c06f938e1aeef3197bf7.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

we can’t even have another save morton  match until fans are allowed back.

when such a match is possible may i suggest playing it at the smisa stadium for a bigger crowd.

st mirren fc-saviours of morton through the years.

We’ll just need to go with the four games in the league next season, then...