The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Two scenarios here:

1. That's a fabrication to hide the real reason, in which case the board are lying to the support and their position is untenable.

2. Far more worrying, it's true and they've made such a pig's ear of budgeting for the season that despite receiving £10K a month from MCT and allowing the manager to build a 22 man squad, they literally can’t afford to pay the wage of a fucking manager, in which case the board are more incompetent than any of us could ever have imagined and their position is untenable.

No one expected budgeting for this season to be easy for any club - which does take us back to the question of whether having one at all was sensible - but if the financial situation is that dire then maybe the club should have bothered to try and generate revenue at some point as many of our peers have done, rather than sitting with their fingers up their arses letting MCT do all the fundraising for them.

We can't wait until the summer and the takeover to get these charlatans out of the club.

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

No one expected budgeting for this season to be easy for any club - which does take us back to the question of whether having one at all was sensible - but if the financial situation is that dire then maybe the club should have bothered to try and generate revenue at some point as many of our peers have done, rather than sitting with their fingers up their arses letting MCT do all the fundraising for them.

Or cut their cloth accordingly, potentially going part time if need be.

No other club has had a manager resign so far this season at any level because they want a wage off the books.

2 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Sooner we’re rid of that clown Crawford the better. His father Douglas despite his failings would never have allowed this. 

Never have allowed what? Covid-19? Calling last season early? Not allowing fans to attend games? 

Like it or not, before he stepped down Douglas was dramatically reducing the amounts he poured into Morton season after season. Whether that reduction was all his own decision or, as seems likely, was influenced by Crawford and the rest of the family I doubt that the position we're in now would be dramatically different if Douglas was still in charge. 

And I've no doubt there are other clubs in equally dire straits at the moment....... 

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

No other club has had a manager resign so far this season at any level because they want a wage off the books.

Nor has any other manager offered to resign on that basis. Any club relieving a manager of his duties when he was under contract would in all probability therefore be saddling themselves with a severance package. 

So, your point is.......  WHAT, exactly?? 

16 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

And I've no doubt there are other clubs in equally dire straits at the moment....... 

That may or may not be true, but those clubs aren't letting a gormless dauphin figure and his horrible, smirking sprogs spirit away the ground as 'payment' for the hole that their family dug while making a total fucking arse of running it for the best part of two decades. It's time for them to do some walking away with nothing while we're at it.

Edited by vikingTON

16 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

No, many others instead opted for wage cuts and referrals to footballing staff and redundancies for non-footballing staff.

As others have said, what's your point?

26 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Two scenarios here:

1. That's a fabrication to hide the real reason, in which case the board are lying to the support and their position is untenable.

2. Far more worrying, it's true and they've made such a pig's ear of budgeting for the season that despite receiving £10K a month from MCT and allowing the manager to build a 22 man squad, they literally can’t afford to pay the wage of a fucking manager, in which case the board are more incompetent than any of us could ever have imagined and their position is untenable.

We can't wait until the summer and the takeover to get these charlatans out of the club.

Perhaps Morton thought they would have fans back in by now, very daft to have thought so but that may be the reason behind it. Pretty sure Dunfermline are budgeting for almost no fans this season.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Perhaps Morton thought they would have fans back in by now, very daft to have thought so but that may be the reason behind it. Pretty sure Dunfermline are budgeting for almost no fans this season.

I find it very hard to believe that Dunfermline are budgeting for no fans at all on their current squad unless 'enormous loss' is what they're actually prepared to suck up. The numbers just do not stack up for that.

Just now, virginton said:

I find it very hard to believe that Dunfermline are budgeting for no fans at all on their current squad unless 'enormous loss' is what they're actually prepared to suck up. The numbers just do not stack up for that.

I think we would have to finish top 3 for it to be a break even but we have the Germans to help us out now. We always set our budget at finishing one place higher than last year but the fans thing I would imagine it's fairly true due to past events we always seem to have a very pessimistic budget and rightly so.

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

That may or may not be true, but those clubs aren't letting a gormless dauphin figure and his horrible, smirking sprogs spirit away the ground as 'payment' for the hole that their family dug while making a total fucking arse of running it for the best part of two decades. It's time for them to do some walking away with nothing while we're at it.

By far the majority of the current shareholding is owned by the Rae family, therefore for all intents and purposes they ARE the club when it comes to decision making. Apart from making their opinions known, there’s nothing that the other directors can do to stop the majority shareholders from having their way.

Yes, the general running of the club has been in the main pretty shambolic during their tenure, There’s no getting away from that. You seem to be conveniently forgetting, though, that they are effectively writing off something in the region of £2m as part of the deal to rid themselves of the club - we both know that most, if not all, of that was in the form of loans from Golden Casket (yes, the Raes again) due to their (or Douglas’s) ineptitude when it came to running a football club, but of course acknowledging that such a sum was being written off wouldn’t allow you to talk so emotively about them “walking away with nothing”. Like many of the support I’m slightly uneasy about them continuing to own the ground, but there appear to be pretty strong safeguards in place to ensure that Morton don’t end up homeless and MCT seem to be happy enough with those - although they wouldn’t have that much leverage to change it if they WEREN’T happy.

You can bump your gums/gnash your teeth (delete as appropriate) as much as you want, but the fact is that there's nothing you or I or any of the support can do other than keep paying their subs to MCT (if they are contributors), pay for the home game streaming if they wish to and just keep hoping that we can get to the season’s end with a viable club to be taken into community ownership.

9 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

By far the majority of the current shareholding is owned by the Rae family, therefore for all intents and purposes they ARE the club when it comes to decision making. Apart from making their opinions known, there’s nothing that the other directors can do to stop the majority shareholders from having their way.

Yes, the general running of the club has been in the main pretty shambolic during their tenure, There’s no getting away from that. You seem to be conveniently forgetting, though, that they are effectively writing off something in the region of £2m as part of the deal to rid themselves of the club - we both know that most, if not all, of that was in the form of loans from Golden Casket (yes, the Raes again) due to their (or Douglas’s) ineptitude when it came to running a football club, but of course acknowledging that such a sum was being written off wouldn’t allow you to talk so emotively about them “walking away with nothing”. Like many of the support I’m slightly uneasy about them continuing to own the ground, but there appear to be pretty strong safeguards in place to ensure that Morton don’t end up homeless and MCT seem to be happy enough with those - although they wouldn’t have that much leverage to change it if they WEREN’T happy.

You can bump your gums/gnash your teeth (delete as appropriate) as much as you want, but the fact is that there's nothing you or I or any of the support can do other than keep paying their subs to MCT (if they are contributors), pay for the home game streaming if they wish to and just keep hoping that we can get to the season’s end with a viable club to be taken into community ownership.

Craven, bootlicking nonsense from start to finish. The highlight of which being trying to give the Raes hauners for 'writing off' a debt entirely of their own volition... except that they haven't actually done so because that's what the entire fucking point of separating the stadium land from the club is all about. That's their payment in kind for the mountain of IOUs left from Rae senior. The current exit deal transfers useless paper pledges into hard value land. No wonder they're glad to slip out the door ASAP.

What they have done in sum total then is run the club into the ground through nearly two decades of wildly incompetent stewardship by their parent company with the plan of asset-stripping the club at the end to pay themselves off for the trouble and hurt feelings caused. That's what's actually happening here yet there are still some useful idiots wanting to give them the benefit of the doubt - based on nothing more than a pinky pledge to never flog the land except mebbe when our own company might need some cash.

Craven, bootlicking nonsense from start to finish. The highlight of which being trying to give the Raes hauners for 'writing off' a debt entirely of their own volition... except that they haven't actually done so because that's what the entire fucking point of separating the stadium land from the club is all about. That's their payment in kind for the mountain of IOUs left from Rae senior. The current exit deal transfers useless paper pledges into hard value land. No wonder they're glad to slip out the door ASAP.
What they have done in sum total then is run the club into the ground through nearly two decades of wildly incompetent stewardship by their parent company with the plan of asset-stripping the club at the end to pay themselves off for the trouble and hurt feelings caused. That's what's actually happening here yet there are still some useful idiots wanting to give them the benefit of the doubt - based on nothing more than a pinky pledge to never flog the land except mebbe when our own company might need some cash.

I seem to remember getting several cuntings off you over the years when I painstakingly pointed this out. Time to take the medicine. You should have been demanding cutbacks years ago - or at least that’s the advice you gave to us.

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

😂  

Yet again vt attempts to ignore much of the content of a post he quotes, simply to let him peddle his own brand of cynical, jaundiced vitriol.

What part of “Yes, the general running of the club has been in the main pretty shambolic during their tenure, There’s no getting away from that. ” don’t you get?  Or try this: “Like many of the support I’m slightly uneasy about them continuing to own the ground” . You’ve a funny idea of what constitutes  “craven bootlicking nonsense”, champ.

You can whine all you like about the ownership of the ground remaining with Golden Casket. Like I said, I’m not that happy about it either. HOWEVER, the reality is that those IOUs that you mention were not FROM Douglas Rae, they were owed by Morton FC TO him (or to Golden Casket, to be precise).  Answer me this: if your family (no, not some hypothetical wife and kids of yours, that thought’s just too ridiculous 😂) had poured a fortune in loans into a business, would you be happy about simply writing it all off to give a new buyer a greater chance of success? Or if you were an interested potential buyer, would you be willing to buy and take on that level of inherited debt? (To save you from thinking about it, the only sensible answer to both questions is “NAW!!” )

Which, like it or not, brings us to the reality of the situation here. The Raes want no further involvement in running Morton and are desperate to get out. MCT are desperate to take over the club but it would take them years to get together anything like the capital required to buy the club and pay off the debt. The result: a compromise is agreed where the club is sold to MCT more or less debt-free and the Raes, through Golden Casket, retain ownership of the ground - with legal guarantees, not your Boy Scoutish “pinkie promises”, about Morton continuing to play there for as long as the club continues to exist.  It ain’t perfect, and you and I don’t have to like it, but we have no say in it, and in the real world it’s a workable compromise and gives an acceptable deal to both parties.

Them’s the hard facts.   Champ.

9 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I seem to remember getting several cuntings off you over the years when I painstakingly pointed this out. Time to take the medicine. You should have been demanding cutbacks years ago - or at least that’s the advice you gave to us.

You should’ve learned by now  -  do as he says, not as he does.

😂

There’s one thing that doesn’t make sense about that statement. I keep reading that Hopkin is extremely wealthy so he doesn’t need to have another job lined up, but if that was the case why wouldn’t he just do the job for free? I would suspect that isn’t the real reason