The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

5 minutes ago, #Gary said:

I'm not going to pretend to be a fan but its the 3rd manager to walk out in a very short space of time 2 of which are due to board room shenanigans.

We're now going to be on our 17th manager since January 2000 which yeah, is not a great look at all.

That said the vast majority of them have been total haddy picks by the Raes so it's not as if we're ruthlessly culling them. McInally should have been sacked about a dozen times before Rae finally accepted his offer of mutual departure.

35 minutes ago, virginton said:

We're now going to be on our 17th manager since January 2000 which yeah, is not a great look at all.

That said the vast majority of them have been total haddy picks by the Raes so it's not as if we're ruthlessly culling them. McInally should have been sacked about a dozen times before Rae finally accepted his offer of mutual departure.

Yeah, the only one of the 13 managers in the Rae era who was actually sacked ruthlessly at the earliest opportunity was Dave McPherson, and even then that was still the right decision. Of the others who left due to poor performance - eg all of them but McKinnon & presumably Hopkin - none of them could have had any complaints if they'd been sacked before they eventually left the club.

Looking at what's happened since Crawford took over, he started by correctly sacking Duffy. Then he oversaw a colossal and unacceptable f**k up on the board's part in giving McKinnon a budget then telling him he had to cut it a couple of months later, regardless of the officially confirmed snaky way he went about his departure.

Johansson, even if it could have been handled in a far more professional manner that avoided a walkout hours before a game, was correctly told he wasn't staying because he was absolutely useless, and he could have had no complaints had he been sacked at any point from February onwards. The way it happened made us look tinpot but getting rid of him was unquestionably a good thing.

Now Hopkin, we don't know why he's walked and who's to blame but no doubt the rumours will start flying soon.

The club has obviously been run like a tinpot joke for 20 years and getting this board fired into the sun in the summer with a clean slate will be essential if the takeover is to lead to a more stable and successful club. For all that this tinpottery means the Morton job presents challenges that don't exist at other clubs, I still find it hard to have any sympathy for managers whose own failings have been a bigger factor in their demise than anything the board have done.

Edited by Dunning1874

54 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'd have been fine with him seeing out his contract until next season for stability's sake and to see if he could build a half-decent team again once this dead rubber season is over. I'm not convinced he'd have hung around under the new board though, so the timing rather than the fact of his departure this season is the surprise here.

His wagon-circling to protect Muirhead and other diddies against the big bad fans on social media who don't understand the terrible sacrifices ma players huv made by, erm, signing a professional contract and still swanning in to a 'full time' job in the middle of a pandemic/economic collapse was extremely grating over the past few months, so that can get in the bin now as well.

Hopefully Muirhead, Blues, Orsi, Omar and 'James Wallace' follow him swiftly out the door. 

I had a wee look at Morton's squad after I read the news, and good Lord it's not an attractive looking one on paper. Whoever comes in will have their work cut out.

Have you guys been running without a sub keeper all season too btw? 

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I had a wee look at Morton's squad after I read the news, and good Lord it's not an attractive looking one on paper. Whoever comes in will have their work cut out.

Have you guys been running without a sub keeper all season too btw? 

Yep. Hopkin blew his little tiny budget on 8 million ineffective sand dancing attacking midfielders and Robbie Muirhead whatever he is meant to be, which is why precisely no one is actually disappointed that he's gone but will rightly question how it's come about.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Where does he actually go from here? He’d obviously made a name for himself at Livingston but his disastrous stint at Bradford and mediocre time at Morton will have just about undone all that work. Put that with people now realising that a lot of the good stuff everything at Livi was down to Martindale and you have to wonder if there’s another full time team in Scotland that would be overly enthusiastic to have him right now.

Fixed that for you.

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Where does he actually go from here? He’d obviously made a name for himself at Livingston but his disastrous stint at Bradford and mediocre time at Morton will have just about undone all that work. Put that with people now realising that a lot of the good stuff at Livi was down to Martindale and you have to wonder if there’s another full time team in Scotland that would be overly enthusiastic to have him right now.

No way he walks out half  way through a 3 year contract without having somewhere lined up to go .

My bet is back at Livi

4 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

No way he walks out half  way through a 3 year contract without having somewhere lined up to go .

My bet is back at Livi

David Hopkin is a wealthy man. It wouldn't surprise me.

2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

My bet is back at Livi

David Hopkin certainly has no need to work if he doesnt want to. He is about the 3rd biggest shareholder in Morton. If he feels like walking out he will have walked. He walked away from Livi with no job to go to before.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

https://www.gmfc.net/david-hopkin-club-statement/

Statement confirms that Hopkin offered to resign to help the club financially. Definitely suggests that we are really struggling.

Assistant Anton McIlhone to continue as interim manager (he's a fitness coach) assisted by senior players. This will not end well.

The chairman is wealthy enough that he could and should have offered to pay the fucking manager until the end of the season as a token gesture ffs. Accepting his resignation for the 'good of the club' is a state, he'll have the doors shut before he hands off to MCT at this rate.