The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Guest TOPFITTER
1 minute ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Yeah, I thought when I saw the club quoting that figure that it would've been an amazing paying audience for a Morton - Queens league cup tie that would've struggled to get half that number through the gates at the best of times, and so it proved. 🙄

I understand that the Pixellot system hasn't been up and running for long, and Jamie M said that at the friendly v Livi there were concerns about it, so they decided to revert to (presumably) the same guy who normally videos the home games. Maybe stage fright got to him on Tuesday re the quality of the camerawork, and presumably he could see the Sinclair Street end goal and either wasn't told that we couldn't or had no control over what was being beamed out (or NOT beamed out). For the future, either get Pixellot working to an acceptable standard or get Tuesdays problems sorted out - pronto. 

BTW I'm not, and haven't been, defending the club over this. They, and/or their technical advisers, got it badly wrong on Tuesday, and that farce and the club's lack of a quick and meaningful public response has been pathetic (I see that Dunning has just posted a link to an article about refunds; better late than never I suppose, but only just). However, what grinds my gears is the lack of an objective response from fans on here and on the Morton messageboard who know no more than I do (ie, buggerall) about what went on and whose default state is to blame the club for incompetence time and time again. They're probably right more often than not, a lot of aspects of the running of the club seem to be pretty shambolic, but regarding Tuesday - does anyone who stops to think about it for even a moment seriously believe that when the club considered going their own way with that broadcast that they didn't seek professional advice about whether their system would take the strain all right? Seriously? The board,  the chief exec and anyone else involved may be (OK, ARE) pretty inefficient  with regard to many aspects of running the club, but they aren't stupid people. By all means slag them off for Tuesday's debacle, but those with no knowledge of what went on but who've been shrieking about total incompetence should take a deep breath, put their personal prejudices aside and look at this matter objectively. Just for once.  If it DOES  turn out that they just crossed their fingers and hoped for the best, fine, that's the time to give them both barrels. On here, though, as usual it's a case of guilty till proved innocent - if you're lucky. 

cannae help yourself, still trying to suck up, pathetic IMO

😆

"suck up"?? Aye, very good. 

As a matter of interest, re the following things I said about Tuesday and/or Morton:

"got it badly wrong"

"farce"

"the club's lack of a quick and meaningful public response has been pathetic"

" a lot of aspects of the running of the club seem to be pretty shambolic"

"The board,  the chief exec and anyone else involved may be (OK, ARE) pretty inefficient  with regard to many aspects of running the club"

Which of the above, in your valued opinion, is the one that sucks up most?

:1eye

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

12 hours ago, Toby said:

The game didn’t attract an audience of 3000 paying customers. It attracted 3000 views on YouTube when it became apparent it was free. I certainly sent out the link to a few non-Morton supporting mates on my group chat and dare say they watched about a minute or so of it, adding to that figure, but let’s not confuse that with 3000 folk subscribing to a Morton v Queen of the South cup game that would’ve probably attracted 1100-1300 through the turnstiles under normal circumstances.

I watched on You Tube to see the goals. Didn't see them all though.

10 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Neither did the cameraman. 

As for the "apology" no mention of QoS fans or other who subscribed. 

Cameraman saw them fine. The footage they put on YouTube was a part screen for some reason. Raw footage shows the goals perfectly well as confirmed by motdwannabe on the League Cup group thread.

46 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

🙄

For the future, either get Pixellot working to an acceptable standard or get Tuesdays problems sorted out - pronto. 

does anyone who stops to think about it for even a moment seriously believe that when the club considered going their own way with that broadcast that they didn't seek professional advice about whether their system would take the strain all right? 

On these points, the Pixellot system was working to an adequate standard and was a better watch than what we streamed. The club made the wrong call to go their own way at short notice. Had they not have, 1 of the 2 major talking points (camera work) would have largely been alleviated.

Yes, Pixellot still had a few tracking issues (which by all accounts gets alleviated by running more tests to calibrate it) but it on the whole would have been acceptable for a first stream.

Ok, they can't have forseen the issues with the camera stream not matching what the cameraman saw. Testing would have helped there though. They did 1 live test, of a training session, using the middle third of the pitch. They spent more time getting an angle on the commentary box than checking they have an appropriate view of the entire field of play though.

On the second point, advice at the point of making the change had no impact on the result. It was already set up to fail. The fact they went their own way vs Pixellot had no impact on whether their system could take the strain. They chose to host within their own website which would have fallen under both systems.

The website fell several times the previous week when transfer news was announced. The website fell during their only live test (of the training session) under low traffic, and during the streaming of the webcam from Leith under even lower traffic.

It was entirely inevitable that the website was going to fall on Tuesday. The only people who couldn't see that were those tasked with running it.

The club have been banging on about a new fit for purpose website that can handle the streaming. They didn't deliver that. They added a new wordpress skin onto their existing site.

The fans have been calling for months for them to get the system ready, tested and make sure the website is capable.

The response from inside the club was that they weren't going to test it publicly. They then changed their mind and agreed to a last minute, barely advertised test which generated low traffic. The system still failed under those conditions.

They then rolled on to Tuesday and hoped for the best.

Edited by Jamie_M

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Cameraman saw them fine. The footage they put on YouTube was a part screen for some reason. Raw footage shows the goals perfectly well as confirmed by motdwannabe on the League Cup group thread.

Yes I Ken,   but that wouldn't have been as short or as amusing reply. Imo. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

It was entirely inevitable that the website was going to fall on Tuesday. The only people who couldn't see that were those tasked with running it.

They then rolled on to Tuesday and hoped for the best.

Life's too short to be bothered answering all of your points opinions, the two lines above sum up your stance on this more than adequately. You're still obviously  convinced that the second line above is precisely what happened. How on earth could you know that definitively?

(Edited to add - these excerpt from the club statement proves that you are wrong):

"None of the board have any expertise in the technologies required to stream matches and have employed professionals to advise and set this up for us.  Whilst we are in their hands, we equally recognise that the buck stops here!"   

"there are two elements to streaming a match – the ticketing/paywall system and the actual match stream.  The actual stream is a separate system operated by Amazon but access to that depends on the streaming ticketing system on our own website and it was that which failed.  That there was a potential problem with this was recognised in advance of Tuesday but steps taken to mitigate the increased volumes through it failed."

They obviously didn't just approach Tuesday on a wing and a prayer and with fingers crossed. Stupid to have believed otherwise, but that's fitba' messageboards for you.

I have to admire you in one regard though. It's pretty impressive to have 20-20 vision in hindsight when you're wearing blinkers.

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

Good stuff from Morton. It was appalling the other night but they've done the decent thing by refunding the money. Providing the service improves, I'll watch the next Morton - QoS game which I wouldn't have done had they refused a refund.

Guest 4RedCards

Got my £10 refunded, fair play. Hope it works for you next time. 

Now let’s hope Queens can show everybody how it should work this Saturday 🤔

I must say that,  despite all the problems encountered with last Tuesday night's broadcast,  the Morton commentary team were quite good.  Reasonably unbiased and.not too hyper (although there wasn't a great deal to get hyper about admittedly).  If every club that provides commentary follows along the same lines listening to games might not turn out to be cringeworthy. I must admit it made me smile when the camera was on them at half time, the commentator would ask Andy Ritchie a question then look away into space as if he couldn't care less about the answer. 

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

What's the story here?

That’s the same boy you dug up on Twitter a while ago for lifting Stenhousemuir’s image on Twitter and not crediting them.

He’s a local Celtic fan who passed himself off as a Morton fan to get favour with the support and was called out by most of the arsehole element (I mean that in the nicest possible way as I was front row and centre). Over lockdown a lot of us felt he was trying to weasel his way into a voluntary role dealing with Morton’s social media, in spite of a Morton supporting university student filling the post in a part time paid role. He denied having such intentions, but lo and behold the lad in the role was relieved of his duties and it appears Callum has stepped in.

Callum denies this, but many, myself included, don’t believe his protestations of innocence.

Morton fans love to fight each other of course, so I suspect you’ll hear another side of the story.

3 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

I have to admire you in one regard though. It's pretty impressive to have 20-20 vision in hindsight when you're wearing blinkers.

To be fair, Jamie, and many other Morton supporters, aren’t dealing in hindsight: this was called well in advance.

Morton, as far as anyone can see, took no reasonable steps to ensure the website would deal with the capacity of a live PPV game; they fucked it, as Crawford has acknowledged by accepting that the buck stops with him.

Money — and goodwill — down the drain at a time when we can least afford it.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

To be fair, Jamie, and many other Morton supporters, aren’t dealing in hindsight: this was called well in advance.

Morton, as far as anyone can see, took no reasonable steps to ensure the website would deal with the capacity of a live PPV game; they fucked it, as Crawford has acknowledged by accepting that the buck stops with him.

😳   Uh-huh..............  That’s the sort of comment that someone fat, orange and infectious  tends to call “fake news” . On this occasion, he would be right for once.

At the risk of repeating myself (or, I suppose, Crawford Rae) :

4 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

“None of the board have any expertise in the technologies required to stream matches and have employed professionals to advise and set this up for us.  Whilst we are in their hands, we equally recognise that the buck stops here!"   

"there are two elements to streaming a match – the ticketing/paywall system and the actual match stream.  The actual stream is a separate system operated by Amazon but access to that depends on the streaming ticketing system on our own website and it was that which failed.  That there was a potential problem with this was recognised in advance of Tuesday but steps taken to mitigate the increased volumes through it failed."

Still, some people are always gonna believe what they want to believe; it’s more fun that way.

In other news, the world is flat. Pass it on.

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

2 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

😳   Uh-huh..............  That’s the sort of comment that someone fat, orange and infectious  tends to call “fake news” . On this occasion, he would be right for once.

At the risk of repeating myself (or, I suppose, Crawford Rae) :

Still, some people are always gonna believe what they want to believe; it’s more fun that way.

In other news, the world is flat. Pass it on.

He referenced 2 elements but missed the third - the actual website and hosting of it. There was an issue identified with the ticketing and paywall system, it was running slow and people were struggling to log in even during the test.

The big issue though was the entire site inevitably crashed.

3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

He referenced 2 elements but missed the third - the actual website and hosting of it. There was an issue identified with the ticketing and paywall system, it was running slow and people were struggling to log in even during the test.

The payment/ticketing was on the website, it literally says that in the statement. They've tried to fix it by separating the two out

3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

12 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The payment/ticketing was on the website, it literally says that in the statement. They've tried to fix it by separating the two out

Yep, they tried to fix it but unfortunately it didn’t work. Still, after all the previous guff about the club doing nothing to address the potential issues it’s nice to see Jamie finally admit that they weren’t just sitting around with their fingers up their arses. Progress of a sort.