The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

29 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Certainly making we wonder if it's worth subscribing to any other games if you can't guarantee to see them,  I'm not just talking about games on the Morton site either. 

Well, you can count on QoS/Pars, Raith, Dundee and Hearts (or, more likely BBC Scotland) for decent streams, as they all have done it for years. Alloa and Arbroath are at Pixellot’s mercy and I’m not sure about Ayr’s or ICT’s track record. Morton, are Morton...did anyone expect this to work properly?

46 minutes ago, BIGdavieT said:

I presume because of the shambles It is being streamed on youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7hTCoxoXrc

So I nipped over to 'Ton.tv see what was up, and holy Jesus the camera work. The commentary and colour is quite nice, if they'd add a little humour it would be Statler and Waldorf-like, but the video...I'd take Pixellot over that.

Didn't buy this as I know it wouldn't work.

Turned YouTube on just before half time as someone told me about it. This wasn't worth £0 so I really do feel for anyone who's paid a season ticket if this is what they're getting all season. 

Only good thing about it is Gerry and Andy doing commentary.

1 minute ago, #Gary said:

Didn't buy this as I know it wouldn't work.

Turned YouTube on just before half time as someone told me about it. This wasn't worth £0 so I really do feel for anyone who's paid a season ticket if this is what they're getting all season. 

Only good thing about it is Gerry and Andy doing commentary.

Very much agree on the commentary team, painting a great picture. I've got the video on, but am ignoring it and just listening.

No surprise whatsoever to see Robbie Muirhead miss with a free strike from 12 yards. Everything about that guy is just infuriating. His hair, his lack of ability, his penalty run-up, the fact he actually thinks he's good...

I really feel for Reece Lyon. He really was breaking through and putting in some very good performances and now is for some reason about 42nd choice central midfielder.

Edited by #Gary

59 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Well, you can count on QoS/Pars, Raith, Dundee and Hearts (or, more likely BBC Scotland) for decent streams, as they all have done it for years. 

Can you though?  The demand is going to be far higher than what they've been dealing with over the last few years streaming for fans abroad.  

I'm pretty surprised we never used any of our friendly games as a test to see how everything held up to the increased amount of people trying to log in and stream.  I'm hopeful we've planned for it and have got everything in place, but I can see the first few games being a learning experience for clubs.  But then you'll have a load of people who'll pay their money to try to watch the first few games, have a shit experience and then just won't bother with it for the rest of the season. 

Thought we were really poor tonight, first game back or no... Rabin Omar at right-back speaks for itself, and McLean being the player inside doesn't help; but our habit of just bumping the ball forward aimlessly is hard to watch and totally ineffective.

Just hope the first eleven that settles down looks a lot different from what we saw tonight. Three in midfield, please, with Lyon one of them. Maciver up top with Nesbitt and McPake or Omar either side. And sign a fuckin right-back. And get Muirhead to f**k.

Otherwise, could be a really long short season.

An unnamed spokesperson for the club: ""we're a football club, not technical internet gurus"

Nice to see Dave McKinnon not even putting his name to statements anymore. f**k off.

Pathetic response to the whole thing.

6 hours ago, #Gary said:

An unnamed spokesperson for the club: ""we're a football club, not technical internet gurus"

Nice to see Dave McKinnon not even putting his name to statements anymore. f**k off.

Pathetic response to the whole thing.

There’s no doubt at all that the club have had a PR disaster so far over how they’ve handled this, but think about it - if you put your car in for a service or a bit of work and the garage tells you that the job’s a good ‘ un, but two days later it breaks down, is that your fault or theirs? If you really think they didn’t take what they thought was qualified professional advice about setting up a decent and reliable streaming service then that’s your privilege, but back in the real world Morton and several other clubs have been let down by either the technology or the firms who advised on it and installed it, including regarding testing of the systems.  Yes, Morton had already been bitten a couple of years back with the crap turnstiles fiasco, but in this case they weren’t the only club taking advice on their streaming system and found that advice to be less than reliable.

That’s not in any way excusing the way Morton are handling the aftermath of last night, but it’s unrealistic to put all the blame on the clubs who thought they’d taken the right decisions in good faith and suddenly found they’d been let down. Let’s hope these are just teething problems that will be quickly sorted out.

Should have taken a leaf out of Albion Rovers book, offered the refunds and apologise unreservedly straight away. Or offer all fans that paid for it, the next league game beyween the two teams at Cappielow for free. Just a shame this will be the pish you boys have to put up with throughout the season.

There’s no doubt at all that the club have had a PR disaster so far over how they’ve handled this, but think about it - if you put your car in for a service or a bit of work and the garage tells you that the job’s a good ‘ un, but two days later it breaks down, is that your fault or theirs? If you really think they didn’t take what they thought was qualified professional advice about setting up a decent and reliable streaming service then that’s your privilege, but back in the real world Morton and several other clubs have been let down by either the technology or the firms who advised on it and installed it, including regarding testing of the systems.  Yes, Morton had already been bitten a couple of years back with the crap turnstiles fiasco, but in this case they weren’t the only club taking advice on their streaming system and found that advice to be less than reliable.

That’s not in any way excusing the way Morton are handling the aftermath of last night, but it’s unrealistic to put all the blame on the clubs who thought they’d taken the right decisions in good faith and suddenly found they’d been let down. Let’s hope these are just teething problems that will be quickly sorted out.

19 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Which advice are you specifically referring to as being the problem?

I'm guessing this means it's pointless asking for a refund? I'm sorry but the buck stops with the club here. They provided an awful service and charged £10 for the privilege. Whether it was someone elses fault or not, the club were the ones charging the public and therefore they should be giving the public their deserved refunds then take the matter up with the company/streaming service separately.

24 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Which advice are you specifically referring to as being the problem?

The feck should I know? I’m not a technical internet guru 😜

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm guessing this means it's pointless asking for a refund? I'm sorry but the buck stops with the club here. They provided an awful service and charged £10 for the privilege. Whether it was someone elses fault or not, the club were the ones charging the public and therefore they should be giving the public their deserved refunds then take the matter up with the company/streaming service separately.

If you don’t get a refund, it’s ridiculous. 

33 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:

Should have taken a leaf out of Albion Rovers book, offered the refunds and apologise unreservedly straight away. Or offer all fans that paid for it, the next league game beyween the two teams at Cappielow for free. Just a shame this will be the pish you boys have to put up with throughout the season.

That’s what they should’ve done, and they should’ve done it last night. Hopefully they still will, but the longer it takes, the worse it looks.

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Two days later? The car didn't even make it out of the fucking garage car park here...

The "streaming service" itself was also clearly not the issue given the game was live streaming on some dodgy website the entire time...

I think it's fairly obvious the issue is Morton's website which has been an issue for years. It crashes every time Crawford farts. If you want to stick with your garage analogy, no you can't take it back to the garage 12 years later and say it's their fault.

Small businesses all over the UK are having to change their business models to cope with “life with Covid” and they all have my utmost sympathy and understanding. In most cases having to work considerably harder for less income.Lower tier Scottish football has known for some time that income from PPV was going to be a vital new element that would help bring in some income and keep loyal fans in touch with their club. I have now paid for two matches Airdrie:QOS friendly and last nights match. I honestly thought it would be tough to produce a poorer package than Airdrie but Morton certainly managed to achieve that with something to spare. Apart from the basic failure of the website to cope with volumes, the actual quality of the filming was woeful. No proper apology and communication only through Twitter which many subscribers don’t access. If I may say an appalling disregard for the paying customer.I don’t want my £10 back as I know that clubs desperately need every last £ at the moment but a continuation of this very poor service will not end well.

49 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

The feck should I know? I’m not a technical internet guru 😜

If you don’t get a refund, it’s ridiculous. 

Well, you are the one that is claiming that responsibility doesn't fall solely at Morton's door but rather at some bad advice.

There were 2 main  issues last night.

The website crashed. Morton's fault. Their website crashed every time a news article goes up and 2 people try to view it. The fact Morton didn't get a new fit for purpose site like they said they would (but rather reskinned the old one) and the fact they didn't run a proper live test to check it at capacity means responsibility lies firmly with them.

The camera work was appalling. Morton chose to circumvent the pixellot system (the stream from which was adequate as witnessed on the dodgy website). Other clubs had a problem with Pixellot, ours was working fine.

Morton chose to ask a volunteer to do the filming rather than employ a professional. Morton's fault.

Edited by Jamie_M

36 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Well, you are the one that is claiming that responsibility doesn't fall solely at Morton's door but rather at some bad advice.

There were 2 main  issues last night.

The website crashed. Morton's fault. Their website crashed every time a news article goes up and 2 people try to view it. The fact Morton didn't get a new fit for purpose site like they said they would (but rather reskinned the old one) and the fact they didn't run a proper live test to check it at capacity means responsibility lies firmly with them.

The camera work was appalling. Morton chose to circumvent the pixellot system (the stream from which was adequate as witnessed on the dodgy website). Other clubs had a problem with Pixellot, ours was working fine.

Morton chose to ask a volunteer to do the filming rather than employ a professional. Morton's fault.

Do you really, honestly think they didn’t seek advice as to whether they had a medium that would stand up to the traffic expected for streaming?  You don’t know the answer to that any more than I do, but personally I find it hard to believe they didn’t. The problems last night appear to show that there need to be either improvements or further improvements made; it’s up to the club to ensure that that happens.

Yes, last night’s camerawork was very poor. Nobody disputes that. Hopefully they’ll have learned that lesson and  get someone more competent in for the future, whether “professional” or not.