The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Duffy seems a decent  signing for us.  11 Premiership starts last season and 3 in the League Cup.

I know St Johnstone fans weren't raving about him but hopefully a decent enough signing for the Championship. Still a young guy so he is going to have inconsistencies in his game, especially playing at that level.

Just glad we have a RB in place.

McAdams- unknown, but again, can't be worse than big Sam surely?. Played for both sides of the old firm so would like to think he at least has something about him. The last ex Rangers keeper we had did alright. Would imagine Hopkin is still looking for a number 1 though.

4 minutes ago, madton said:

I know St Johnstone fans weren't raving about him but hopefully a decent enough signing for the Championship.

St Johnstone fans told us last year that our right back Aaron Comrie was league 1 at best and that he was poor. He ended up being out most dependable right back in 8 years.  

26 minutes ago, madton said:

Duffy seems a decent  signing for us.  11 Premiership starts last season and 3 in the League Cup.

I know St Johnstone fans weren't raving about him but hopefully a decent enough signing for the Championship. Still a young guy so he is going to have inconsistencies in his game, especially playing at that level.

Don't read too much into the fact he played 14 games for us last season, the only reason that happened was injuries to 2 first choice defenders, our first choice right back bailing and the international centreback we brought in on loan being literally worse than a man down. 

He was a young kid brought into to play backup at most, but circumstances thrust him straight into the team when he wasn't ready, with a bunch of senior players who were abysmally out of form. 

I think he'll do alright for you, but he's lacking senior game time and it's a big step up from playing youth football. I doubt he'll make it at saints unfortunately and he seems the kind of player who's very much confidence based and I just hope it doesn't affect him for the rest of his career. 

The fact that we signed Ramsbottom was only the second weirdest thing about the whole affair... the weirdest was him getting a fairly long run of games in front of (an admittedly out of form) Rogers before the manager could see what every other person in the ground saw. That, despite our many other failings, was what gubbed our season last year. Banking on McAdams having to play week after week would be a huge risk; hope for his and our sakes he gets more experienced competition...

By the way, has the useless big c**t signed for Falkirk yet?

Both have been watched for decent periods of time and haven’t just been snapped up for the sake of it which is encouraging. McAdams was apparently excellent at U17 level for Scotland which prompted the Rangers move.

3 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

St Johnstone fans told us last year that our right back Aaron Comrie was league 1 at best and that he was poor. He ended up being out most dependable right back in 8 years.  

Tbf Comrie was abysmal for Saints.

Never quite sure why Dunfermline fans take offence at that.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nobody taking offense, more delighted we can say he's been a success

I'm glad he has tbh, stunk of a young player who was never given time to build a head of steam. Just randomly dropped in the side for confidence pounding demolishings.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not offended in the slightest. He's been a good signing for us. 7/10 guy every week. Seen far worse players make it in the Premiership. I could see how it maybe didn't work for him at St Johnstone though.

The point I was making to the Morton fan,  is not to look to far into negative feedback based on top division matches. This could bring out the best in the young player by moving down a division.

If Duffy was any good at top flight level then he'd hardly be in our bracket of bargain bin potential signing options this season anyway, it's completely irrelevant then how he performed at that level. The onus is entirely on Morton to develop him into more of a Sir Richard Lamie than a Jonathan Page. 

On 17/09/2020 at 19:49, RandomGuy. said:

No he was not, stop talking utter shite..He had two bad games which killed his confidence.It was obvious that he had the potential to become a really good player and he has.

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

How was Luca Gasparotto for you? News that we are signing a boy called Nicholas Hamilton from Canada since they don't look like playing much football and their club President is a massive Dee (York9). Gasparotto plays for the same side, we need a CH and 2+2 = 25. 

He was really impressive on his first loan spell with us, then he went to Falkirk and by all accounts was rotten. He then came back to us again after 18 months there, had clearly put on too much weight and was bang average rather than the accomplished centre back he'd looked previously, being released at the end of that season.

Even in his bang average phase he was better than every centre back we've had since and I'd happily have him back, but I'd have thought Dundee could set their sights higher than that.

8 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The Wallace Duffy loan has been cancelled but Josh McPake's wikipedia page was updated last night and now shows us as his current club on loan from Rangers

Some wiki warrior spunking his load early as it's not confirmed, but widely reported as likely.

I called for a huge upgrade in the centre forward position at the start of August and this signing is really not that at all. That's not necessarily a slight on Maciver himself - perhaps he would be a decent squad option behind a forward of proven quality in the pecking order - but we do not actually have any of those at the club already. Instead we have a jobber lot of seven forwards at the club - if you count Omar and Nesbitt in that bracket - who have a combined total of 95 goals from 805 appearances. That is an absolutely fucking abysmal tally and by any rights we will be relegated unless one of them steps up to the plate big time over the course of this season.

I do not accept the excuse of budgets when you end up having so many players on the books and yet no proven quality whatsoever. I'd rather have three good options and take our chances with injuries over a mere 27 game season than this 'can do a job' ringer strategy every day of the week.  

We currently have a squad of 19. It has one goalkeeper, three defenders and of the other 15 it's debatable whether any are really out and out strikers, but you'd assume that's how Orsi, Muirhead, MacIver and possibly Oliver & Salkeld are going to be used.

There's surely no chance we're going to sign McPake with the squad as it is, that has to be tabloids throwing shit at a wall. Whatever's left of the budget has to go entirely on the defence.