The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

6 hours ago, #Gary said:

Putting it on record that it wasn't true is one thing; complaining to the BBC is Victim FC stuff that should be left to Celtic and Rangers.

Not to mention the fact that it was McKinnon talking absolute mince in the first place about the whole situation that probably led to Levein thinking or being told what he claimed. They're both gobshites. 

PS the kit launch and accompanying statement today is yet another riddy. 

3 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Someone literally went on national radio, and lied about something pretty serious the club had done - being held to zero account when doing so. The club were right to comment on it, regardless of the CEO’s comments.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

Given the BBC has now apologised on air to us and Raith after admitting they got it wrong, I’d say it was more than worthwhile defending ourselves.

The Goon has got it dead right. And so have Morton.  The club could’ve just posted something on theMorton website, which maybe 50 or so folk would’ve read, about a falsehood aired on national radio and heard by thousands. Complaining to the BBC has led to an apology for what was said; that apology will also have been heard by thousands and the complaint also got plenty of attention in the papers and online. Job done.

Re the kit launch Gary’s apparently getting a riddy about.......   a kit launch is simply a way to generate some publicity for a new kit. Like it or not, that’s exactly what the club has done. Those who are interested will now be aware of the strip - if they like it, they might buy it and if they don’t, they won’t. Either way, how the thing was launched will have absolutely no bearing on their decision. 
There are plenty of things about Morton and about Scottish football - and about life in general - to get concerned about at the moment, but - how a football kit gets launched?  Pffft.

36 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Re the kit launch Gary’s apparently getting a riddy about.......   

It's a riddy for the club, not me.

If you don't think this whole kit launch (and McKinnon making out it's been some sort of well received mystery masterpiece) has been a shitshow from start to finish then good on you. But it has. Will it be yet another version of it that actually arrives at Smiths in September? Probably.

7 hours ago, #Gary said:

It's a riddy for the club, not me.

If you don't think this whole kit launch (and McKinnon making out it's been some sort of well received mystery masterpiece) has been a shitshow from start to finish then good on you. But it has. Will it be yet another version of it that actually arrives at Smiths in September? Probably.

It's publicity for a new strip. Nothing more, nothing less - but if you want to insist that it's embarrassing, fill your boots. 

Will it look somehow "different" when it hits the shop? Maybe. Who cares? I'm sure if you want to you'll find some difference to nit-pick at and insist that it's another embarrassment. Like I said though, if people like it they might buy it, if they don't, they won't. What's gone before won't make a blind bit of difference. 

5 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Fred Bachirou has signed for Nottingham Forest from Malmo.  Didn't realise the guy went on to such heights. Always decent for you guys many moons ago. Still only 30

You'll have people along any minute now calling him a rat and downplaying how good he was and pointing out he was involved in the club's worst ever defeat.

He's easily the best player to have played for the club in my lifetime though. Might even pop down and take in a Forest game at some point.

1 minute ago, #Gary said:

Might even pop down and take in a Forest game at some point.

Did hospitality down there two seasons ago. Really good value for money, excellent City for a night out and really friendly fans. Recommend it.

On 19/08/2020 at 22:44, Rudolph Hucker said:

The Goon has got it dead right. And so have Morton.  The club could’ve just posted something on theMorton website, which maybe 50 or so folk would’ve read, about a falsehood aired on national radio and heard by thousands. Complaining to the BBC has led to an apology for what was said; that apology will also have been heard by thousands and the complaint also got plenty of attention in the papers and online. Job done.

If nothing else, if it makes the BBC think twice before they have Craig Levein spouting nonsense on the radio again it will be a public service to thank Morton for.

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If nothing else, if it makes the BBC think twice before they have Craig Levein spouting nonsense on the radio again it will be a public service to thank Morton for.

Now if Morton could deal with Tom English please... Thanks.

Edited by LeodhasXD

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

Now if Morton could deal with Tom English please... Thanks.

Unfortunately, much as he's become a laughable propagandist for Hearts in the last 4 months, I am not aware of English telling any outright lies on air. We'll probably have to wait a bit longer to deal with him.

33 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Unfortunately, much as he's become a laughable propagandist for Hearts in the last 4 months, I am not aware of English telling any outright lies on air. We'll probably have to wait a bit longer to deal with him.

No, he seems a bit more calculated than that. He whispered it to Levein and let him say it.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Tri-TON said:

I didn't think it would be this depressing.

Well Sean McGinty is in the Tele today claiming to be 'a natural born leader' for the young players to follow if you want a good laugh.

Edited by vikingTON

On 07/09/2020 at 19:23, virginton said:

Well Sean McGinty is in the Tele today claiming to be 'a natural born leader' for the young players to follow if you want a good laugh.

He really must get on your goat if he gets you in this much of a paddy, or are you just kidding?

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're being linked with Wallace Duffy this morning in our papers.

Good luck.

I know you thought he was terrible, attributing your improvement in defence and resultant climb away from the relegation battle pretty much directly to the point where he stopped playing. However our only centre backs are Sean McGinty and 35 year old Brian McLean, while our only right back is a 21 year old with three first team appearances who didn't play once last season despite not having a first team right back at the club until January.

The bar for being less bad than what we have is therefore extremely low. Although if you're looking to punt him entirely rather than loan him out, with the noises coming out of the club lately I wouldn't be particularly surprised if Cove could make him a better offer.

Edited by Dunning1874

14 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I know you thought he was terrible, attributing your improvement in defence and resultant climb away from the relegation battle pretty much directly to the point where he stopped playing.

It was, we went from averaging over 2 goals a game to under 1, simply be swapping him for Jamie McCart/Liam Gordon.

Hes young, and badly needs games, to see what level he's actually at. His only senior experience was in our mess of a side early last season and he maybe understandably struggled.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Although if you're looking to punt him entirely rather than loan him out, with the noises coming out of the club lately I wouldn't be particularly surprised if Cove could make him a better offer.

Managers just confirmed there if hes leaving it'll be a loan. He also wants him to move to a club where he'll play every week. Cove have had two of our players previously on loan, but neither played regularly. 

Any defender we sign is pretty much guaranteed a game, particularly when he can play both right back and centre back. As above, our only centre backs are probably the worst two in the division, one of them is an injury prone 35 year old and the right back has no real first team experience at 21. Even if we were to sign another couple of defenders as well as Duffy he'll still get a game.