The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

1 hour ago, gordon9736 said:

Omar divided the support at Elgin in his two seasons with there. He would get stuck in, get a few goals but would pick up stupid yellows and reds.  He was called up to the Iraq U23 squad  last season about Dec/Jan and missed a few games IIRC. 

Saw a fair bit of him in his Annan days. He was younger then of course but that's consistent. Exciting at times and good on the ball but a hothead. Got red carded against us once for a horror challenge.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Saw a fair bit of him in his Annan days. He was younger then of course but that's consistent. Exciting at times and good on the ball but a hothead. Got red carded against us once for a horror challenge.

I already like him. 

Can't believe we're spending actual money on McLean and Millar at 36 and 37 respectively; both are absolutely done. As for McGinty and Muirhead... both were really poor for us last year, but I had a feeling, especially in these circumstances, that Hopkin might hang onto them; he loves a big lad, no doubt...

Strangest looking Morton squad I've seen in about, ooh, seven years or so...

2 hours ago, virginton said:

f716b9eec295def91a0747cff935c504.gif.10f7586eaee2fc30dd0ae7615cc9e4b5.gif

Robbie fucking Muirhead plus assembled ringers/sand-dancers up front as well as a spike in Covid likely meaning that getting into games will be punted into the long grass again. It's currently a no on the season ticket front from me then. 

I’m sure we will all miss your usual copralaliac critiques on those games you miss. 

First of all, what fucking kit is Gary Oliver wearing?! When was that announced?

Happy to keep McAlister and Nesbitt in current circumstances.

The best thing that could be said about McGinty and McLean is that they're not Peter Grant.

Millar looked finished last season.

Muirhead and Oliver are just garbage.

No idea about the new guy but doesn't seem particularly exciting. A bit left field like the signing of Orsi last year. Yes he's become a bit of a cult hero, but he's also pretty useless.

Our squad does not look good at all at the minute.

Only seen the one game from him, but I reckon Rabin Omar could be a shrewd bit of business. Didn't have a problem against our dream defense in September last season and scored an absolute peach. Think he could be a good signing.

Obviously could be a different system, but if it stays the same as last season we're now looking at something like this:

New

New - McGinty - New - Strapp

Jacobs - Colville - McAlister

McGuffie - Orsi - Nesbitt

Cover from:

GK - Wylie

DF - McLean, Hynes

MF - Lyon, Blues, Millar, Omar, McGrattan

FW - Oliver, Salkeld, Muirhead, Rodgers, Easdale

I pray to Wake we have two centre backs coming in so we don't have to suffer either McLean or McGinty but I can't see it. Given the choice I'd rather McLean but I'm guessing Hopkin will prefer McGinty, and in any case you can't have a competent defence at this level with either of them on the pitch. The thought of them playing together is nightmare fuel and if we don't bring in a considerably better centre back than both of them we're in trouble.

There's also a deeply worrying lack of goals in this squad, but even though there's no established centre forward there I can't see us signing anyone else with that number of central options already signed up.

With the glaring weaknesses that are already present there, ending up with another Ramsbottom figure in goal would be fatal. The remaining signings all have to be successes.

6 hours ago, GiGi said:

I have nothing but dread so far. I think we're fucked this year.

When you see the full squad listed it becomes even harder to understand why McGinty, McLean, Millar and Muirhead are still here.

We've already got 21 players signed. 5 are out of the youth system and presumably on a pittance so filling out the squad cheaply which is fine, but of the 16 first teamers you have another 5 who we all know aren't good enough and need to be kept away from the pitch at all costs.

Blues was already under contract for some reason but handing the other four new deals just doesn't make sense, and means that unless any of the youth players are ready to contribute regularly we only have 11 players who are possibly of any use - and some of them are up for debate as well. Had we punted even three of them we'd have the room to strengthen every area of the park.

Instead we're saddled with deadwood in every position and probably only have the space to add three or four at a push. That needs to be a goalkeeper, a right back and a centre back or two, with one of them hopefully able to cover left back if needed too. It leaves us weaker up front than last season with McHugh gone and no natural centre forward to replace him, and means we're still reliant on Blues or Millar coming into the midfield if we need another defensive player in there.

If we can put a solid goalkeeper, a competent right back and Gavin Gunning in there then things will look considerably better despite the obvious lack of goals in the team, but if we get those signings wrong with repeats of Ramsbottom, Van Schaik and failing to sign a right back at all in a rerun of last summer we're in serious trouble.

Just a quick question, in Denny Johnstone's latest interview he mentions that Duffy knows the best formation that suits his game - did Duffy play a 4-4-2 when you had Johnstone? Just trying to figure out what Duffy is hoping to play this year as we played a 4-3-3 last year.

With Forbes, McCluskey and Johnstone signed up now it looks like he's getting the old band back together.

Edited by The Moonster

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Just a quick question, in Denny Johnstone's latest interview he mentions that Duffy knows the best formation that suits his game - did Duffy play a 4-4-2 when you had Johnstone? Just trying to figure out what Duffy is hoping to play this year as we played a 4-3-3 last year.

With Forbes, McCluskey and Johnstone signed up now it looks like he's getting the old band back together.

Generally that season we played a 4-4-2 with Johnstone pairing with Samuel, MacDonald or McManus.

44 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I doubt he will but would love to see Denny get over his injuries and start playing well again. He was great in his first season with us. 

8 minutes ago, Scosha said:

I doubt he will but would love to see Denny get over his injuries and start playing well again. He was great in his first season with us. 

He seems optimistic that lockdown has given his body enough time to recover and with him only training two nights a week rather than everyday he hopes it will reduce the risk of injury. We had the same worries with Craig Barr when he joined and going part time seemed to help his body too.

11 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Must have missed this signing,  I thought Denny Johnstone had hung up his boots because of his injuries.  Joining the police the last I heard. 

On 06/08/2020 at 12:55, The Moonster said:

That seemed to involve another forward (an unhappy McManus) doing a lot of running deeper than Johnstone.

The issue with Johnstone, apart from the injuries, is that he’s a midfield player trapped inside the body of a ‘big centre-forward’. Keep him fit (best of luck with that), play him deeper, and he’ll coast League One.