The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Fair enough, it’s one thing for clubs within Scotland to reciprocate as we’re much more likely to interact with them,  but why help Forest Green (assuming that we did, it’s quite possible that they didn’t ask and their man paid his way in - or even watched Cadden when we were away from home). We’re hardly likely to be looking to sign one of their players, so they’d never be asked to return the favour.

We’re unlikely to know for sure who they’d be running the rule over though - they could be coming to see a player on the opposing team - so it’s often going to be a tough call as to whether a couple of free tickets could lead to a nice transfer fee (ahh, if only.......). And it could work against us if we’re looking to another club for a loan - “Morton?? Sod them - wouldn’t give our guy a comp last month.......” Yup, some clubs are that petty, and not all of them are in Edinburgh.

i agree with you to an extent about players getting comps for family members. I suppose if it helps keep the players happy it could be seen as being worthwhile, but it should be limited to a very small number per player per game.

12 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Fair enough, it’s one thing for clubs within Scotland to reciprocate as we’re much more likely to interact with them,  but why help Forest Green (assuming that we did, it’s quite possible that they didn’t ask and their man paid his way in - or even watched Cadden when we were away from home). We’re hardly likely to be looking to sign one of their players, so they’d never be asked to return the favour.

We’re unlikely to know for sure who they’d be running the rule over though - they could be coming to see a player on the opposing team - so it’s often going to be a tough call as to whether a couple of free tickets could lead to a nice transfer fee (ahh, if only.......). And it could work against us if we’re looking to another club for a loan - “Morton?? Sod them - wouldn’t give our guy a comp last month.......” Yup, some clubs are that petty, and not all of them are in Edinburgh.

i agree with you to an extent about players getting comps for family members. I suppose if it helps keep the players happy it could be seen as being worthwhile, but it should be limited to a very small number per player per game.

why do players and official get comps for their family or friends to watch them , they should be paying to get in , as someone said above they are just going to see them at work , club gives out  over 100 comps every game which go to home& away players and officials along with match official approx £2000 loss every home game ( just under £40k a season ) 

Edited by Robbo63

11 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

why do players and official get comps for their family or friends to watch them , they should be paying to get in , as someone said above they are just going to see them at work , club gives out  over 100 comps every game which go to home& away players and officials along with match official approx £2000 loss every home game ( just under £40k a season ) 

I suppose part of the rationale is that many of those who get comps wouldn't be at the game otherwise, but yes, it's a bit of a liberty. 

Football is a fairly unique industry in the complimentary ticketing issue. As regards scouts, particularly amongst fellow Scottish sides, it's a you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours issue. It's accepted generally that clubs will provide other clubs with a couple of free tickets for a scout or their manager / assistant manager subject to capacity. When Rangers came through the division necessitating all ticket matches, several clubs, including us, limited scout access to the next opponents of both clubs only. This was both because of a lack of available seating and because oddly enough Rangers games, which were generally not played on a Saturday so saw lots of other clubs not playing at the same time, were VERY popular amongst other football clubs staff. 🙄

Occasionally a club has over the years decided they were getting abused too much and started refusing scout passes except to the next opponents of both clubs. I can recall Partick Thistle doing it for a while, Albion Rovers too I think. However they usually aren't long in backing down when they start having to pay for tickets for their own scouts / managers whenever they want to go anywhere else!

English scouts of course is a stretch further since they are clearly only looking at players, not potential opposition. I don't know whether some clubs refuse them? There's always the hope of course that they are seriously looking at one of your players and a big transfer fee might be forthcoming. However, usually it's more likely their Scottish based Scout has nothing better to do that day and just fancies taking in a game. In itself that's no big deal since they probably wouldn't come if asked to pay.

Player comps is a whole different hot potato of course! Just about every club has at some time or other tried to ease them back or cut them out. Some clubs genuinely don't do them but not many.

And don't get me started on the match officials! Their use of comps is an absolute racket usually.

Cadden was already very well known to the Wyscout community. Typically they only really need one game in person to make a decision. It’s unfortunate we couldn’t have got money for him but I suspect quite a few clubs from their level will be circling at the minute to offer Scottish players the financial security that’s harder to come by here.

57 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Dunfermline are in for Nesbitt, according to the Tele. Cadden was expected, this wouldn't be and we could do without losing another of our starting attackers.

I'd love to see him at Dunfermline tbh, is he under contract? 

21 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I'd love to see him at Dunfermline tbh, is he under contract? 

No. I don't know if there would be any level of compensation required, given that he's 23 and we've offered him a deal (I can't remember what the rules are exactly, and it probably wouldn't be much if any if required). 

There's a cracking player for this level in there, and he was coming into some good form before the lockdown. I mean, his aspects of his technical ability are above this level, without a doubt. His touch and close control are excellent and he can beat a player with ease, but his final ball and finishing has always let him down (even one of his recent goals was almost an outrageous miss). If he become a better player in the final third then he wouldn't be playing at this level. Obviously that has been said about many players before, but it's very true for Nesbitt. 

2 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

No. I don't know if there would be any level of compensation required, given that he's 23 and we've offered him a deal (I can't remember what the rules are exactly, and it probably wouldn't be much if any if required).

No. He was 23 before last season finished. You can't claim any compensation if he's out of contract.

https://mortonclubtogether.com/2020/07/08/morton-club-together-reaches-agreement-for-greenock-morton-to-become-a-community-owned-club-in-2021/

Fan ownership agreed in principle for the start of the 2021/22 season. It's a huge step, it's long past time for the Raes to go and getting to that position for a nominal fee with a debt free club would be great, but the ownership of the stadium remaining with Golden Casket is a massive red flag.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No. He was 23 before last season finished. You can't claim any compensation if he's out of contract.

That's what I was wondering. I knew there was a cut off date like that somewhere, just couldn't remember where. Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

https://mortonclubtogether.com/2020/07/08/morton-club-together-reaches-agreement-for-greenock-morton-to-become-a-community-owned-club-in-2021/

Fan ownership agreed in principle for the start of the 2021/22 season. It's a huge step, it's long past time for the Raes to go and getting to that position for a nominal fee with a debt free club would be great, but the ownership of the stadium remaining with Golden Casket is a massive red flag.

Yes, must be some concerns in Golden Casket retaining ownership of the ground?  I assume it's with a potential for long term commercial development of the site if Morton relocate or something?

£2.5m of loan debt being written off is not to be sniffed at obviously but presumably it was soft debt with no interest?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I’m not bowled over at this news, but on balance, I’d be in favour.

Not because I philosophically believe that fans should own their clubs, or that this ownership structure is some sort of rocket fuel ready to propel the club to unprecedented success.

But because with this we look set to avoid falling into the hands of some of the sharks that have been circling the club. That, and the prospect that fan ownership might result in a more enjoyable day out - which is about as much as you should hope for at this level - gets my support.

Saying that, I think that MCT members should have had the chance to have voted on this agreement.

Edited by Morton Supporter

The Rae's want out and the Easdales can't buy it, so this is the only other solution.

MCT have impressed and I'm sure the homework will have been done. This is a model where most fans would like to have if they could. 

I'm feeling optimistic...