The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

33 minutes ago, gmfc said:

The guy has a family to support if he got 2 years security and more money good luck to the guy. I challenge anyone who wouldn't have done the same.

Sounds a great deal. More money and not likely to play any games next season except bounce games with Falkirk and Partick T.

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I actually made sure none of the jobs were under the management of Ray McKinnon before I done anything else. Once that was confirmed at the interview stage I was grand.

Of course you did. I'm willing to believe that you were small-minded enough to do exactly that. 

McKinnon is long gone from Morton now. Get over it and let it go. 

PS - FWIW I think Bob McHugh was a very good player for us. Always a trier, a good solid pro and top scorer 3 seasons running, some cracking goals amongst them. I wish him well, and I don't give a shit who he plays for, or who manages them. 

It must be a very good deal to drop 2 divisions. You would think chairman out there would learn their lesson giving that idiot a blank cheque. 

Grant,  Bell, Slater, Mclean and now Mchugh. They "should" cruise that league when it restarts, but then again so should Falkirk this season. 

59 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I liked McHugh, although he frustrated more often than he delivered... but he needs his head looked for going there.

Will be down to money , one of the most affluent clubs outwith the Premiership I would think , money for sale of Hampden and Willie Haughey supposedly pumped in a fortune  

It must be a very good deal to drop 2 divisions. You would think chairman out there would learn their lesson giving that idiot a blank cheque. 
Grant,  Bell, Slater, Mclean and now Mchugh. They "should" cruise that league when it restarts, but then again so should Falkirk this season. 

Bell probably won’t play a game for QP as well, seeing Muir has re-signed

5 hours ago, gmfc said:

The guy has a family to support if he got 2 years security and more money good luck to the guy. I challenge anyone who wouldn't have done the same.

Really not sure how he's getting two years security right now given that there's no actual time frame for League Two to ever start playing. And if he was looking for more money then going part time, starting his gas engineering gig or whatever the f**k it eas and playing for Alloa at this level would have done the trick no bother. But instead he took a lazy mercenary option of jobbing around in Scotland's basement league instead, which is nothing short of pathetic.

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Really not sure how he's getting two years security right now given that there's no actual time frame for League Two to ever start playing.

Leagues One and Two will also start Oct 17th. The main obstacle at that level was testing. The Anderson Grant will deal with that. 

We could and have done far worse than Baird, but if he's coming back I'd hope he's not first choice, or if he is a regular starter will at least have a far more experienced and better centre back beside him to talk him through games and cover his mistakes.

Looking at his St Mirren career it appears he was fine when he was beside Gary MacKenzie or Harry Davis and won a title, but when he was the best centre back available their defence was a joke and they were fighting relegation from this division. We also saw the mess our defence was with him as our best centre back, his lack of concentration and positional sense was glaring when playing with duds like McGinty and Grant.

Put him beside Gavin Gunning and we might have a solid partnership on our hands, put him beside Sean McGinty and we're likely to continue with last season's clown car defending.

9 hours ago, madton said:

I don't think any team with Grant and McLean has the ability to be cruising anything above the South of Scotland League

8 hours ago, virginton said:

Really not sure how he's getting two years security right now given that there's no actual time frame for League Two to ever start playing. And if he was looking for more money then going part time, starting his gas engineering gig or whatever the f**k it eas and playing for Alloa at this level would have done the trick no bother. But instead he took a lazy mercenary option of jobbing around in Scotland's basement league instead, which is nothing short of pathetic.

Skyline Drifter has already blown your first “point” out of the water. As for the career advice given in the rest of it,, dearie me.......

You have no idea whether or not McHugh has completed his gas qualification as yet. Even if he has, you have no idea how hard it might be, or how long it might take, for someone newly-qualified to get himself a gig in that industry. You have no idea what his combined income package might be if he combined such a job with part-time football - indeed, had he taken your “advice“ and gone to, say, Alloa I’ve no doubt you’d now be calling that decision pathetic.

The guy has weighed up his options and decided it suits him and his family for him to stay in full-time football with a club that appears to have money and is trying to build momentum. With no knowledge of his situation, who are you to criticise that choice?

I’m afraid the only thing “lazy” and “pathetic” here is your post.

4 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Skyline Drifter has already blown your first “point” out of the water. As for the career advice given in the rest of it,, dearie me.......

You have no idea whether or not McHugh has completed his gas qualification as yet. Even if he has, you have no idea how hard it might be, or how long it might take, for someone newly-qualified to get himself a gig in that industry. You have no idea what his combined income package might be if he combined such a job with part-time football - indeed, had he taken your “advice“ and gone to, say, Alloa I’ve no doubt you’d now be calling that decision pathetic.

The guy has weighed up his options and decided it suits him and his family for him to stay in full-time football with a club that appears to have money and is trying to build momentum. With no knowledge of his situation, who are you to criticise that choice?

They're not Full-Time. Not sure where this is coming from.

24 minutes ago, BraeTon74 said:

They're not Full-Time. Not sure where this is coming from.

It's been widely rumoured they are moving to full time even if it's not been formally confirmed. They've certainly signed several players who were previously full time. I would think they'll be at least a hybrid.

9 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Absolutely spot on.

Except that it really isn't: least of all claiming that a club consigned to the bottom national tier of Scottish football again next season has got any sort of 'momentum' behind it. It's a straightforward case of mercenary conduct, which if all goes well at the end of two years will only see him, err, back playing at Championship level. The career paths of literally all the mercenaries who have joined King Snake over the past eighteen months however suggests that it won't though. Which would be a terrible, wee shame for all involved yet again.