The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Read a while ago that McHugh was training to be a gas and heating engineer. I’d imagine he’s probably at the stage of his career that it’ll be in his interests to work full time and play part time.

Possibly Dumbarton, Clyde or Airdrie. Duffy signed him for us, so he’s a fan.

Maybe it’s because we’ve been starved for news over the past few months, but I feel obliged to comment on McHugh leaving.

While there was always the lingering feeling that his starting meant you had a ceiling of mid-table, he had a great attitude and seemed to have a good scoring record as an undersized lone striker in a team that faded under Duffy, was ultra-negative under Johansson and only latterly clicked under Hopkin.

Certainly there’s been room for improvement upfront, but it’s by no means a sure thing that we’ll find a better player than Bob.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

Read a while ago that McHugh was training to be a gas and heating engineer. I’d imagine he’s probably at the stage of his career that it’ll be in his interests to work full time and play part time.

Possibly Dumbarton, Clyde or Airdrie. Duffy signed him for us, so he’s a fan.

He could be a shout for us. We moved to a hybrid model at the start of last seaso so it would be a chance for him to get the best of both worlds. 

Pretty sad to see Bob leave, great commitment and decent goalscorer, he was a good threat to have at this level and will be missed. He seemed like a decent guy too, wish him the best! The part time shout sounds about right as when I heard he knocked back an offer I thought it was strange that in these times any player would knock back a full time contract extension unless another club is lined up which I doubt right now. At part time though he'll have his pick of a number of clubs I'm sure, there is no doubts at all that King Slaphead Duffy will be sniffing about today.

On 12/06/2019 at 16:06, Buchanan & ?Telfer said:

cast offs lol.

your best players more like. 

Mind when Falkirk fans thought they'd got one over on us by signing four players from us - two of whom we'd released anyway - to the extent one of them made an alias named after Gregor fucking Buchanan?

A year on Tidser is languishing in the Lowland League, Buchanan and Johnstone have just been released (along with another of their ex-Morton contingent in Michael Doyle) and the only one who's survived in Grangemouth is Charlie Telfer, who we'd released anyway on the grounds that he's a hopeless sand-dancer.

Falkirk meanwhile are pinning all their hopes of not spending another season in League One on Ann Budge.

You hate to see it.

On 12/05/2020 at 18:27, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Saw this on the East Fife thread

A best ever Morton XI you've seen with each player of a different nationality (no Scots allowed). I've went for a very narrow 4-3-3

1 Cervi (USA)
2 Pepper (Ireland)
3 Iredale (Australia)
4 Fenwick (Canada)
5 Peciar (Slovakia)
6 Bachirou (Comoros)
7 Jacobs (South Africa)
8 Lindberg (Finland)
9 Wittiveen (Austria)
10 Wake (England)
11 Earnshaw (Wales)

subs:
12 Cham (Gambia)
13 Boe (Cameroon)
14 Milojevic (Serbia)
15 Morrow (Northern Ireland)
16 Kerr (Malta)
17 Novo (Spain)
18 van Scheik (Netherlands)

As you can see from the subs bench there are some slim pickings available. Starting XI aint bad tho

Is that Brian Wake at #10? I'm no Morton expert but would Warren Hawke not be a better shout? 

I liked Bob McHugh. He went from being a bit of a joke figure to an intelligent striker who had a knack of getting goals at a decent rate. When I found out he was leaving he went with my best wishes.

That's all over now he's signed for the snake. Scum. Sub-human scum.

29 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

That's all over now he's signed for the snake. Scum. Sub-human scum.

😳 Please tell me you weren't serious with that last bit. Hard to tell sometimes. 

2 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

I know McHugh has gone where the best money has been offered to him, but that is a move which shows such a lack of ambition it's unreal. 

He's admitted he is looking to the future re jobs after football so think he's just being realistic. He's approaching late 20s and not likely to get a big move at this point so not sure what ambition is going to do for him. Would playing for Dunfermline or Dundee really do much for his career now?

Still with him playing for McKinnon hope he sinks with the snake.

4 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

I know McHugh has gone where the best money has been offered to him, but that is a move which shows such a lack of ambition it's unreal. 

The guy has a family to support if he got 2 years security and more money good luck to the guy. I challenge anyone who wouldn't have done the same.

3 minutes ago, gmfc said:

The guy has a family to support if he got 2 years security and more money good luck to the guy. I challenge anyone who wouldn't have done the same.

Even worse IMHO. Imagine expecting your kids to respect you when you've signed for Ray McKinnon. SMH

6 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Even worse IMHO. Imagine expecting your kids to respect you when you've signed for Ray McKinnon. SMH

Think you need to get a life and move on old history.

19 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

IIRC you moved back to Scotland a while back from somewhere down south. Presumably you have a job up here. When you were looking for it did you  a) look for one giving you as good a salary as you could get, or did you b) only consider jobs that you thought might not annoy your ex-colleagues and your old company's clientele? And if the answer is a), as I somehow think it is, why the hell should a journeyman footballer be any different? 

Just now, Rudolph Hucker said:

IIRC you moved back to Scotland a while back from somewhere down south. Presumably you have a job up here. When you were looking for it did you  a) look for one giving you as good a salary as you could get, or did you b) only consider jobs that you thought might not annoy your ex-colleagues and your old company's clientele? And if the answer is a), as I somehow think it is, why the hell should a journeyman footballer be any different? 

I actually made sure none of the jobs were under the management of Ray McKinnon before I done anything else. Once that was confirmed at the interview stage I was grand.