The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

22 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Nice try, but I think you’re hugely overestimating the significance of your club, and even that season end,to Morton fans.

Anyway, poor impersonation IMO  -  only the one spelling mistake.

if you'd have gone into the spl for the first time in 30 odd years i reckon it would've been pretty significant for morton tbh mate dont kid a kidder😂  anyways was tongue and cheek as always....apologies for any offence caused

Edited by Daftjag

I get that the new Twitter guy is a young lad, and I see what he is trying to do. But f**k me is it awful. The "wowzerooney" line is awful. Also noticed he put it in caps last night to emphasise it after people had digs at him for it on Saturday - not a wise move tbh.

56 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:

I get that the new Twitter guy is a young lad, and I see what he is trying to do. But f**k me is it awful. The "wowzerooney" line is awful. Also noticed he put it in caps last night to emphasise it after people had digs at him for it on Saturday - not a wise move tbh.

Uch dry yer eyes FFS, why you greeting over something like that? Who cares, he's doing fine.

His tweets can be a bit cringe and think he forgets its the club's Twitter account and not his personal, e.g "I love this club" last night... its meant to be the club tweeting not him personally. Some of them are funny right enough and it's no big deal. I know he will be told to come across super positive etc as well.

Calling players "mate" though is pretty amateurish  in the post match interviews. If he can add a bit more professionalism to that, it would come across much better. Fine line between fan and club employee who's a fan.

Did he not say "The Paisley scum" in an official podcast or something?

He's keen, he cares and he's passionate which is great,  just needs to come across a bit more professionally which will come over time I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

With regards to the new tartan style East Fife strip can any Morton fan confirm that your team had a similar style jersey some years back and if so how did it go down with the fans.

Thanks

There are loads of Morton fans who go into a frenzy of joy whenever a tartan kit comes out.

From what I gather they are usually big sellers compared to the hoops and certainly sell a lot better than other away kits

13 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

With regards to the new tartan style East Fife strip can any Morton fan confirm that your team had a similar style jersey some years back and if so how did it go down with the fans.

Thanks

We’ve never had one in yellow, but we’ve had the following:

Excellent home and away in 93/94 & 94/95 which are loved:

E309CBD8-BDFC-4D6E-A29F-AB3FA3B1AAAF.jpeg.9db00c80840fbadf399d1d61fc68e24f.jpeg

We then tried to recreate that home one as a third kit in 2005 and it didn’t look nearly as good as it was more garish:

307ED155-4002-40B5-890A-7B513B854FBF.thumb.jpeg.bfa09804e89f20c710f8caddb8c14913.jpeg

Then has this popular away top in 17/18 & 18/19: 

216ECC36-2AED-46EB-8B9E-2746606DB9A9.jpeg.30c21483fe777717e01704fd377f808f.jpeg

We also had a tartan hoops option in a fan vote for the home strip in 2016, but while people loved the concept the quality of the shirt designed for the vote was pretty crap, and those with taste split their vote between that and classic hoops allowing a hideous pinstripe effort to sneak through and win.

902FA341-5283-4020-807D-6B0F5EE3AFEA.jpeg.f586e33504ab2450ab4c70d07aa55452.jpeg

Aye was talking about this on Sat at the game.

He talked about all the under 23s being offered deals so must presume he plans to offer Ramsbottom and Blues deals which  would be incredible considering how much game time they have had.

I think Strapp, Lyon, Colville, McGuffie, Jacobs and Orsi are signed up for next season.

Looking at the rest of the squad, I'd go with;

Keep- ITumility,  Cadden, McHugh and Nesbitt.. I'd like to see McAlister stay as he has looked good recently, still as fit as the young ones and will give us good experience in the dressing room, especially if we are going for a younger squad. Can also fill in a number of defensive positions if need be.

Release- McLean, McGinty, Millar,  Muirhead, Ramsbottom,  Blues, Doolan and Sutton will presumably retire again!

Undecided- Salkeld,  Baird and Rogers I'm not that fussed either way.

Edited by madton

53 minutes ago, #Gary said:

Is no one else worried that Hopkin seemingly wants to sign this entire team up for next season? 

Nah not really. One of our (and most teams in this league's) problem has been mass changes every year with folk on one year contracts. A bit of stability with (hopefully) improvements in key areas and gradual improvement year on year should be the order of the day instead of the nonsense of practically signing a new team each year. Someone like Orsi, for instance, hasn't impressed me but he is young/cheap and if he's hoping to keep him to improve him I appreciate the idea of a manager at our level actually trying to coach players and improve them than releasing them and hoping there's something better out there. I must admit the recruitment this season hasn't impressed me but at least now Hopkin has a base to work from next year unlike last summer when he had to build a squad from scratch.

New

Tumilty

Strapp

New

New

Jacobs

McAlister

Lyon

Nesbitt

Cadden

New

Subs: New, New, New, Colville, Orsi, McGuffie, McHugh

That should be the basis for our squad/team for next year: keep eleven, sign seven, and go from there. (Not to say that some of the signings wouldn't displace some of the starters in that skeleton line-up.)

Keeper, centre-backs, and a striker the priorities (said every team in the league...).

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

Hopkin only said that he's offering all the players under 23 a new deal, which means if they move elsewhere we'd be entitled to (at least some) compensation. I'd prefer to see a few of those players leave regardless but I'm not surprised that we're planning to have a bit more continuity in the squad instead of the 14 in, 14 out revolving door system that we've had pretty much every season at this level. Millar and McLean will presumably be gone and I'd lean towards McAlister going as well.

McGinty will be the litmus test for me: if we're serious about year on year progress then haddies like him need to be written off as a short-term stopgap and not made a key part of next season's squad. 

Edited by vikingTON

Rogers is out of contract at Aberdeen this summer and almost certainly won't be getting another one: wage demands pending, I'd like to see us offer a permanent deal.

Edited by vikingTON