The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

On 15/01/2020 at 17:06, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Todd would be a great signing for us... so therefore don't expect we'll get him.

Correct.  Take your pick from McShane, Longridge or Tidser though... Clock is ticking, gonny have to rush you.. 

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:
38 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:
Evening Times reporting that we're tracking Lewis Strapp.
Any good? 

Good young player and hard as f**k. Would tackle a brick wall.

Nice! Left back is going to be priority area in the summer as we have Callum Waters there who isn't great and who will be headed back to Kilmarnock and we've already outwardly expressed we're going to be trying to get a couple of players tied up on PCAs for the summer.

Yeah, he is under contract. In a rare turn of events, Morton have actually tied down a couple of our key prospects for once.

Anyway, the same paper was touting one of our other young players for a move just the other day, so seems more like an agent having a busy January than anything concrete.

21 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

We don't really have much cash, but I would imagine Baird plus a sell-on fee would do the trick. Baird is signed on with us until 2021 and I'd imagine we'd be looking for a fee for him under normal circumstances.

Baird doesn't seem to be that good.  Lewis Strapp is young and lacks experience but he's a terrific prospect.  I would hope he ends up somewhere a lot better than Paisley.  Anyway he's under contract to us and long may that continue.

While Strapp’s still got a lot of developing to do and isn’t ready to be starting in the Premiership, he’s already a better player than Baird and he’s three years younger than him. The club would get an absolute hounding if they let him go for a swap deal.

While I’m not surprised he’s being watched by other clubs, I can’t see him going anywhere yet. If we’re being honest his performances to date, with only half a season at this level under his belt, aren’t going to convince another Scottish club to pay the kind of fee that would make it worth the club’s while to let him go.

With interest in Strapp and Lyon, this is the test of how serious the club are about youth development providing a sustainable future. Obviously their credibility on that was absolutely ruined when Hawke was still here after he shouted about it for years then contrived to get £0 for players we were entitled to a development fee for through not understanding contracts. If they’re serious about it they won’t be rolling over the way we have with any other recent transfers and accepting £20 and a loan back.