The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

6 hours ago, Andrew Wells said:

Is he actually any good these days? Or are we just likely to be signing a total c**t with no redeeming factors?

Hes their captain, isnt injured, and is barely getting on the bench, never mind the pitch, this season.

9 hours ago, Andrew Wells said:

Is he actually any good these days? Or are we just likely to be signing a total c**t with no redeeming factors?

Saw an Accies fan say he's even slower than Christophe Berra. Just what we need in the team. Someone who can make Sutton, Millar and McLean look speedy.

I thought MacKinnon would go at the end of the season, but he's apparently pretty fed up with not getting game time.

He's looked done when I've seen him for the reserves, never mind the first team, and he's definitely put on a few pounds since being dropped. When Rice came in, he actually looked a lot better playing as a box-to-box midfielder, but there's no chance he's capable of that now.

He's just too slow nowadays which results in him making stupid fouls to try and make up for that. I have no idea how that would transfer to the Championship though.

I thought MacKinnon would go at the end of the season, but he's apparently pretty fed up with not getting game time.

He's looked done when I've seen him for the reserves, never mind the first team, and he's definitely put on a few pounds since being dropped. When Rice came in, he actually looked a lot better playing as a box-to-box midfielder, but there's no chance he's capable of that now.

He's just too slow nowadays which results in him making stupid fouls to try and make up for that. I have no idea how that would transfer to the Championship though.
Making fouls rather than letting them waltz right through?

Will take that.

We could absolutely do with a hard b*****d of a holding midfielder, but to have any value to us it would need to someone who is mobile and can make up for the lack of energy of those around him. Another 34 year old who can’t run is the last thing we need when we already have Jim McAlister filling that role every week and 36 year old Chris Millar sometimes in there as well, although I suppose there is a difference in that MacKinnon would kick anyone who came near him whereas McAlister backs off and points.

As for MCT, it’s a significant and promising development that the debt cancellation is properly underway and they’ve now confirmed that their aim is full regime change. Anyone who was reluctant to get involved because they didn’t want to prop up the Raes can now be shown clearly that this is the only realistic route to getting Golden Casket out of the club.

I just hope the timing of Dave Mackinnon’s tantrum doesn’t put off people who might have been swayed into joining. It’d be perverse for the incompetence of Golden Casket’s appointee as CEO to derail the scheme which can get Golden Casket out of the club, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if people who would have seriously considered joining on the back of this news at another time aren’t inclined to do anything that can be construed as doing Morton a favour this week after Mackinnon’s behaviour.

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

We could absolutely do with a hard b*****d of a holding midfielder, but to have any value to us it would need to someone who is mobile and can make up for the lack of energy of those around him.

Not trying to be funny but that's a perfect description of the Kyle Jacobs who played for us the previous three seasons. Is he miles away from what he was or is he just still being wasted covering right back? If it's the latter surely a better solution is to acquire a decent right back and put Jacobs back where he should be?

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I saw him in the barbers the other day and he didn't look overweight, quite the opposite actually. A player I've always hoped would play for Dumbarton given he's lived here his entire life, but probably not what we need right now.

40 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not trying to be funny but that's a perfect description of the Kyle Jacobs who played for us the previous three seasons. Is he miles away from what he was or is he just still being wasted covering right back? If it's the latter surely a better solution is to acquire a decent right back and put Jacobs back where he should be?

They have Tumilty back from us now, I understand he didn't show up that well previously for Morton but surely a better option than Jacobs playing there.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

They have Tumilty back from us now, I understand he didn't show up that well previously for Morton but surely a better option than Jacobs playing there.

Yeah, I was aware of that, and yes, I'd have thought he was a better option than wasting Jacobs in there. He'll certainly be better than Jacobs going forward, I suspect he may not be as good defensively but it will at least free Ky to play where he's most effective.

23 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think Jacobs has been better at right back than he has been in midfield,  which isn't saying much. He has been completely ineffective in a midfield which has probably been the worst in the league so far this season.