The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Enjoy your trip to Brora lads,we were up their in the play offs a few years back.A remember getting to Inverness and thinking we can't be too far away to be told it's another 3 hours from here.Absolute mammoth trip from Montrose even worse from Greenock!!!

Noticed that theres an SFA Youth Cup game tomorrow night at Cappielow and I'm thinking of heading along for some Friday night football. Anyone know if its definitely open to spectators? And if so what stand will be open? Also be good to know what the parking is like around the stadium. Cheers guys

8 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Noticed that theres an SFA Youth Cup game tomorrow night at Cappielow and I'm thinking of heading along for some Friday night football. Anyone know if its definitely open to spectators? And if so what stand will be open? Also be good to know what the parking is like around the stadium. Cheers guys

Main stand, you should get parked outside Cappielow or round the corner no problem, can’t imagine there’ll be too much of a turnout. Keep an eye on the weather too, think it’s to be a bit mental.

• 2 weeks later...

How's Jack Baird been for you guys? 

We are in the midst of a proper defensive crisis at the moment so a recall could well be on the cards. Would be interested to know what you think. A lot of Saints fans are still kinda surprised he was allowed to go out and, right now, it's looking like an odd decision.

So has he been decent? Would you miss him? Would he be straightforward to replace?

The trouble is for him, if Broadfoot recovers, and we manage to keep McLoughlin (on loan from Hull till January) then Baird could well find himself third choice, or even fourth if MacKenzie comes back as well. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

How's Jack Baird been for you guys? 

We are in the midst of a proper defensive crisis at the moment so a recall could well be on the cards. Would be interested to know what you think. A lot of Saints fans are still kinda surprised he was allowed to go out and, right now, it's looking like an odd decision.

So has he been decent? Would you miss him? Would he be straightforward to replace?

The trouble is for him, if Broadfoot recovers, and we manage to keep McLoughlin (on loan from Hull till January) then Baird could well find himself third choice, or even fourth if MacKenzie comes back as well. 

He’s been our best centre back, but really a better description would be least bad. It says more about the performances of the rest that his steady mediocrity makes him the best of them.

Put it this way, if he was permanently contracted to us rather than being on loan there’s not a chance his performances would have a Premiership club looking at him. In any other season I would probably be fine to see him go in the hope we’d get better, but considering the state of our defensive recruitment in the summer I have no confidence that we won’t end up with worse and keeping the other centre backs out of the team is a much bigger priority than replacing Baird.

43 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

He’s been our best centre back, but really a better description would be least bad. It says more about the performances of the rest that his steady mediocrity makes him the best of them.

Put it this way, if he was permanently contracted to us rather than being on loan there’s not a chance his performances would have a Premiership club looking at him. In any other season I would probably be fine to see him go in the hope we’d get better, but considering the state of our defensive recruitment in the summer I have no confidence that we won’t end up with worse and keeping the other centre backs out of the team is a much bigger priority than replacing Baird.

OK, cheers.

It's always been the case that he's been better with a decent player next to him (if that isn't a blindingly obvious thing to say). He was was better last season when Mihai Popescu was talking him through games, etc. He's probably not a defensive leader.

He was being touted as a future Saints captain at one point. He made 38 appearances for us the season we went up and 42 last season, so it seemed very odd that he was bombed out so quickly.  There have never been any question marks over his mentality, and I saw he's been saying the right things about playing for you.

Wonder if he and Goodwin just didn't see eye-to-eye, but Jim doesn't seem to be that type of person, either. The whole thing's just a bit weird.

The only defensive player we have who's done well this season Is Strapp.  Both our keepers are poor (that assessment doesn't really do justice to Sheepsarse who is unbelievably bad at goalkeeping).  Our centre backs are bombscares, and we don't have an actual  right back.  Stephen Welsh should be playing at CB, where he looks decent, but he seems to have been shifted to fill the vacant RB position.  We are painfully short of decent players.  Only Strapp, Lyon, Cadden & sometimes Nesbitt when he is allowed on the pitch, are good enough.

I’ve never gone looking for the more recent one, and given who is behind it I’ve no intention of ever doing so.

There’s no doubt at all that you’re right about the other one, though. Most of the posters who were worth reading have either given up on it entirely or very rarely post any more, and though I do read it  as part of how I try to keep up to date on what’s happening by and large most of what’s posted is pretty pathetic stuff.

That seems to be pretty much the general opinion because that board is dying on its feet. Despite the “capitanus” guy and the rest of the admin team desperately starting new thread after new thread to try to boost the post count there are regularly days that go by without a single post being made.

Shame really, years ago it used to be decent.

4 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

I’ve never gone looking for the more recent one, and given who is behind it I’ve no intention of ever doing so.

There’s no doubt at all that you’re right about the other one, though. Most of the posters who were worth reading have either given up on it entirely or very rarely post any more, and though I do read it  as part of how I try to keep up to date on what’s happening by and large most of what’s posted is pretty pathetic stuff.

That seems to be pretty much the general opinion because that board is dying on its feet. Despite the “capitanus” guy and the rest of the admin team desperately starting new thread after new thread to try to boost the post count there are regularly days that go by without a single post being made.

Shame really, years ago it used to be decent.

I never posted on the new one, but had a look a couple of times hoping for a decent forum.

And it's just the same as the other one.

Apart from the same group of people who on earth is going to want to read that?

I've given in on both.

The original one ages ago

As you said it is a shame, how many clubs on our level have their own forum? We have 2 and neither is worth reading for fans interested in the club.

Edited by BingMcCrosby