The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Revisionist nonsense. He was just as bad as King Snake when it came to chucking out complete nonsense sides in the cups when it suited him - getting shoed by Queens Park at Hampden, anyone? - and it was in fact under Duffy that this nonsense about the club picking and choosing which competitions it would take seriously began. Other cup lowlights under Duffy include scraping a last minute draw with Queens Park at home that still cost us Betfred Cup progression and of course the club's only defeat to non-league opposition in the most important cup tournament. If letting Andy Barrowman job around the pitch all day in that disgrace against Spartans was his idea of taking the cups seriously then I'd hate to see him taking the piss. Although his team's abject showing at Cappielow earlier this season is probably the best indication of that. 

His overall cup record was certainly better than that of his successors to date, but that was largely a result of favourable draws (both Hamilton and Dundee United in the semi final run; Annan in the last 16 of the Scottish Cup) rather than taking cups more seriously as a whole. Hopkin achieved the realistic target of progressing from the Betfred Cup group this season before losing to Hibs - in terms of cup performances that has been a wash with what you'd expect from a Duffy managed side. 

Tl; dr

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2019 at 09:00, Scosha said:

That's pretty much the same for me. Duffy gave us a lot of joy during his time with us - usually building teams that were hard to beat and got us some runs in the cups every year. I do believe if the board backed him in January 2017(?) and we held on to Gunning and got Rory Loy in (which was widely rumoured that we were interested) we'd have done better in the playoffs. He was frustrating as hell with some of his decision making but he did a good job overall. His time was certainly up - we've just made an arse of it since. 

Think you're righ,t much as I loved Danny Lennon and feel he was harshly treated, much as we had a total shit fest that set us back years with Tommy Craig, Ian Murray and Alex Rae after we sacked him. You could see it was time for a change. Danny had done well, won an national cup, taken us to our hightest league position in years, brought through Kenny McLean and John McGinn, had us playing attractive football and... 

... Wait what was my point again?

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
14 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:
40 years ago today we topped the Premier League with a bunch of part-time players, regularly winning at places like Pittodrie, Tynecastle etc.
And now fucking look at us.

Nobody is looking at you Morton, nobody.

YOU are, obviously. 

To be fair, though, you are indeed a nobody. 

Once you've read this, piss off. 

9 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
21 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:
40 years ago today we topped the Premier League with a bunch of part-time players, regularly winning at places like Pittodrie, Tynecastle etc.
And now fucking look at us.

Nobody is looking at you Morton, nobody.

Maybe if Dunfermline looked at Morton a bit more often they might have managed to finish above us more than once in the last seven seasons.

Hopkin has to go!
i think thats the general sense of opinion as i passed the morton fans yesterday after the game the rumblings are he has to go, but who do look at after him, I'm not being nasty but you are going through a lot of managers/coaches over the last few years and none of them seem to be right after initially being the one bar a couple

2 hours ago, Muggy said:

Genuinely, what was wrong with Jim Duffy? I wasn’t following the league whilst he was in charge but from afar it seemed he was doing well?

Not really. We were going nowhere under him and it was time for a change.

Genuinely, what was wrong with Jim Duffy? I wasn’t following the league whilst he was in charge but from afar it seemed he was doing well?

Duffy has two consecutive seasons where there was an absolute collapse in the final quarter.

In his second last season we failed to win a match in the last nine, nearly being caught for the play off spot. We then failed to win either play off match v Dundee Utd.

In his final season , in the last eleven matches , the only sides we won against were the bottom two

24 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

you definitely changed allright,  from fighting at the top half of the league to the bottom instead .

Again, not really. We finished 7th under Duffy then 5th last season. The fact he’s wound up at Dumbarton tells you all you need to know.

Ah, the old chestnut that if a club is in a poorer place now than they were when they sacked another failing manager a couple of years ago, the problem is that they shouldn’t have sacked that failing manager rather than all the other decisions and appointments they’ve made since.

Saying Morton were wrong to sack Jim Duffy and that’s the cause of the position we’re in now is like saying Dundee were wrong to sack Paul Hartley or Partick were wrong to sack Alan Archibald and that’s the cause of the position they’re in now: obviously complete bollocks.

The root cause of Dundee’s relegation was appointing Neil McCann after they made the correct decision to sack Hartley, compounded by appointing McIntyre after that making them even worse. The reason Partick spent much of last season and now the start of this one in the bottom two is not because they sacked Alan Archibald but because they appointed Gary Caldwell. Similarly the cause of Morton’s last two disastrous seasons are a combination of the three managerial appointments since and decisions made by the owners in that time.

Of course, if a club has hit their absolute peak when they realistically can’t do any better then you can say they shouldn’t be sacking a manager if they then slip back from that position - eg no serious St Johnstone fan wanting Tommy Wright out for failing to make the top six having done so for six consecutive seasons previously - but this was evidently not the case with Morton and Jim Duffy. He had a winning team heading for the playoffs which was to his credit, no one was talking about sacking him, then he sabotaged it with his inability to avoid tinkering and caused a total collapse for the second season running. He made his position untenable through his own incompetence.