The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Mind the time Jim Duffy was appointed. 

Then he won division 1 in his first season.

Then finished 4th in the Championship 

Then 5th the next year.

Then finished 7th, then all the muppets on here demanded he was sacked.

And replaced by anybody, anybody at all. They didn't have any ideas just anybody. No names were put forward at all.

Then we got johansson and he was a disaster.

Now hopkins, and it's been a disaster so far.

We should have stuck with duffy,he improved us every year bar one. 

Best manager we had for a long time. Fact

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Mind the time Jim Duffy was appointed. 

Then he won division 1 in his first season.

Then finished 4th in the Championship 

Then 5th the next year.

Then finished 7th, then all the muppets on here demanded he was sacked.

And replaced by anybody, anybody at all. They didn't have any ideas just anybody. No names were put forward at all.

Then we got johansson and he was a disaster.

Now hopkins, and it's been a disaster so far.

We should have stuck with duffy,he improved us every year bar one. 

Best manager we had for a long time. Fact

Behave. Duffy did a very good job overall but his time was up. 

Edited by Mr.Blue

1 minute ago, Mr.Blue said:

Behave. Duffy did a very good job overall but his time was up. 

Maybe he would have improved the team again for the next season.

After all he had done "a very good job" in previous seasons.

Were never gonna know, what we do know is since he was sacked things have got worse.

1 hour ago, Andrew Wells said:

Duffy deserved to go. The people coming in being worse changes nothing about that.

AKA the Danny Lennon fallacy. He really was underachieving with the squad we assembled for him, and it was time for him to go. The mistakes came afterwards.

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Maybe he would have improved the team again for the next season.

After all he had done "a very good job" in previous seasons.

Were never gonna know, what we do know is since he was sacked things have got worse.

Under Duffy there was a time we were confident of beating anyone we played, now we can’t even get a point at Arbroath (no offence meant to them). He gave us our first semi final in what, 35 years? He was a few games away from promotion to the top flight in nearly 30 years, not forgetting the nights against Motherwell, Hamilton, Dundee United in the cup, beating United 3-0 at Tannadice, being five minutes away from beating Rangers at Ibrox and scudding St. Mirren a couple of times at home. Things we can only dream about now. But of course he gets hounded out as soon as things turn bad and not given a chance to turn things round, and I’m guessing those that did hound him out are happy with the current situation.

It's similar to the Aberdeen fans who are trying to hound out mcinnis at the moment. They will be a bit sheepish (ha ha) in a couple of years when they revert back to being complete crap

7 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

I’m guessing those that did hound him out are happy with the current situation.

I'm guessing they are never happy about anything ever

On 19/10/2019 at 21:17, Glasgow Ton 7 said:

The whole management/squad are completely embarrassing for this level! Hopkins has next week to find 3 points for me then it’s over! TTG

Entitled to your opinion as you are, FFS at least get the guy’s name right. It surely isn’t that difficult - though at least you didn’t include an apostrophe in it.

6 hours ago, Scosha said:

Duffy had to go. 

Agreed  -  o the basis of his last couple of months in charge.

Before that, though,he certainly was better than the three dumplings we’ve had since (so far, at least, in the case of Hopkin).

18 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Agreed  -  o the basis of his last couple of months in charge.

Before that, though,he certainly was better than the three dumplings we’ve had since (so far, at least, in the case of Hopkin).

Agreed.

I don't think many would suggest Duffy was shite but he cost the club a lot of money single handedly and threw away a good position. It was an unforgivable failure and his position was untenable. 

2 hours ago, Andrew Wells said:

Agreed.

I don't think many would suggest Duffy was shite but he cost the club a lot of money single handedly and threw away a good position. It was an unforgivable failure and his position was untenable. 

He also made the club an awful lot of money be being pretty much the only manager in my memory to take the cups seriously enough to get extended runs beyond the last sixteen on a consistent basis.

4 hours ago, Toby said:

He also made the club an awful lot of money be being pretty much the only manager in my memory to take the cups seriously enough to get extended runs beyond the last sixteen on a consistent basis.

Canny ignore that tbh.

It's a shame it ended the way it did. I have a lot of appreciation for what he did here.

1 hour ago, Andrew Wells said:

Canny ignore that tbh.

It's a shame it ended the way it did. I have a lot of appreciation for what he did here.

That's pretty much the same for me. Duffy gave us a lot of joy during his time with us - usually building teams that were hard to beat and got us some runs in the cups every year. I do believe if the board backed him in January 2017(?) and we held on to Gunning and got Rory Loy in (which was widely rumoured that we were interested) we'd have done better in the playoffs. He was frustrating as hell with some of his decision making but he did a good job overall. His time was certainly up - we've just made an arse of it since. 

On 21/10/2019 at 02:33, Toby said:

Revisionist nonsense. He was just as bad as King Snake when it came to chucking out complete nonsense sides in the cups when it suited him - getting shoed by Queens Park at Hampden, anyone? - and it was in fact under Duffy that this nonsense about the club picking and choosing which competitions it would take seriously began. Other cup lowlights under Duffy include scraping a last minute draw with Queens Park at home that still cost us Betfred Cup progression and of course the club's only defeat to non-league opposition in the most important cup tournament. If letting Andy Barrowman job around the pitch all day in that disgrace against Spartans was his idea of taking the cups seriously then I'd hate to see him taking the piss. Although his team's abject showing at Cappielow earlier this season is probably the best indication of that. 

His overall cup record was certainly better than that of his successors to date, but that was largely a result of favourable draws (both Hamilton and Dundee United in the semi final run; Annan in the last 16 of the Scottish Cup) rather than taking cups more seriously as a whole. Hopkin achieved the realistic target of progressing from the Betfred Cup group this season before losing to Hibs - in terms of cup performances that has been a wash with what you'd expect from a Duffy managed side. 

Edited by vikingTON