The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

12 minutes ago, philpy said:

Just read about the kitman on twitter, what the f**k?? He's not a player, so what's he done wrong???

Is this about the gambling thing?  I assume the rule will be all football related people at a club are not allowed as they could have influence/knowledge that changes results or betting patterns.

Of course this is a bit over the top but with Mortens record on this topic I don't blame them for taking the safe option.

13 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Is this about the gambling thing?  I assume the rule will be all football related people at a club are not allowed as they could have influence/knowledge that changes results or betting patterns.

Of course this is a bit over the top but with Mortens record on this topic I don't blame them for taking the safe option.

Your post, you mean?  Yes, yes it is.

Speaking to my dad last night and with Shankland making his debut for Scotland the other night, trying to work out who the last player was to play for Morton and then play for the national team in their future careers? We both came up with Derek McInnes but probably forgetting someone.

59 minutes ago, tigerbread said:

Speaking to my dad last night and with Shankland making his debut for Scotland the other night, trying to work out who the last player was to play for Morton and then play for the national team in their future careers? We both came up with Derek McInnes but probably forgetting someone.

Barrie McKay, and we could possibly be adding Stuart Findlay today.

McInnes is the last for Scotland before that as far as I can see, although we have also had non-Scots Foaud Bachirou (Comoros), James McPake (Northern Ireland), Robert Earnshaw (Wales) and Paul Fenwick (Canada) since. Fenwick had been called up before and continued to be while with us, the rest all made their debuts after leaving. Luca Gasparotto has also been called up to Canada squads but not capped.

Fenwick came back from an international tournament with a medal and found that Hugh Scrote Scott had docked his wages for the time he’d been away.  Surprised he’d found the time to do it during his campaign to shut down the Internet.......    How did that one work out again?

On 13/10/2019 at 12:04, Rudolph Hucker said:

Fenwick came back from an international tournament with a medal and found that Hugh Scrote Scott had docked his wages for the time he’d been away.  Surprised he’d found the time to do it during his campaign to shut down the Internet.......    How did that one work out again?

I’d argue that’s something that the club should be celebrating and acknowledging all these years later.

Scott’s behaviour was of course atrocious back then but for a Morton player to win a major international honour as Fenwick did is something never to be repeated.

You can argue that there will be others like Jimmy Cowan who won the Home Nations tournament but Fenwick’s achievement, in the modern era was fantastic, and deserving of far more credit than the club has ever given it.

Edited by Toby

No argument from me. Scott’s stranglehold  on the club at the time meant there was absolutely nothing came out of Cappielow in recognition of what Fenwick was an integral part of, and that is and was a shame. For the player, for the club and for the support.

57 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Did Hopkin not play and score for Scotland after he left Morton?

Twice against Belarus at Pittodrie in 1997, but the players Dunning listed were all more recently honoured than Hopkin.

18 minutes ago, virginton said:

Try Chaplins or Cheers instead then, they've got more than enough of both. 

Too late, was there on Saturday. Headed up to a slightly more upmarket one right next to Greenock West before heading. A disappointing couple of pubs, alas.

3 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Too late, was there on Saturday. Headed up to a slightly more upmarket one right next to Greenock West before heading. A disappointing couple of pubs, alas.

The Green Oak is one of those pubs which is absolutely jumping on a Sunday or even a Monday, Saturday seems to pass it by!

12 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

Paul Hartley played and scored for Scotland as an ex-Morton player. 

Fucks sake, don’t know how I forgot that one.

In other news, Botti Biabi training with us. While we could use another centre forward if Muirhead’s never going to get a look-in, are we really going to sign another attacking player when we’re still persisting with a back four with no right back?