The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

On 20/07/2019 at 12:24, Jamie_M said:

Highly rated Scotland U21 International who has progressed through the youths at a Premiership team, rated as a future number 1 for Rangers and Scotland, who had a full season at Berwick before stepping up to the Championship to continue his development.

Vs an English non-league nomark, signed by a manager who hadn't seen him play on the recommendation of a coach who knows little about what is required at this level.

Yup, entirely the same...

I’ve seen this play out before...

I’m sure some people may know, but for those who don’t there is a new Fantasy football Scotland app, I will leave the link to the app on Apple devices below, on Android just type in Fantasy football Scotland and it should pop up

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/fantasy-football-scotland/id1469063365

I have created a league for all Pie and Bovril users if anyone wants to join, we already have around 30 people in the league just from the initial thread so hopefully we can get more, the code to join the league is

PRANJXBW

Hopefully we can get a good amount of people in :)

Injured but because communication is so poor from the club, no idea what the injury is.

Wonder if we will try and get Dykes out on loan? Not seen any competitive game time i don't think so doesn't look like Hopkin fancies him at all.

Hopkin in the Tele saying he will be looking to hopefully bring in a defender or two this week. Also says he hopes to bring in one or two  permanent signings as well as some loans.

2 CBs, 1 LB and another striker would be ideal.

3 hours ago, madton said:

Hopkin in the Tele saying he will be looking to hopefully bring in a defender or two this week. Also says he hopes to bring in one or two  permanent signings as well as some loans.

2 CBs, 1 LB and another striker would be ideal.

Could be wrong but I think there will be a keeper brought in

On 25/07/2019 at 09:36, madton said:

Injured but because communication is so poor from the club, no idea what the injury is.

Wonder if we will try and get Dykes out on loan? Not seen any competitive game time i don't think so doesn't look like Hopkin fancies him at all.

Dykes joins Stenny on loan for the season.

1 hour ago, madton said:

Dykes joins Stenny on loan for the season.

No game time under Hoppy at all. Obviously didn't rate him.

Why JJ jumped in to sign him up again last season is a total mystery. He signed him up again for this season and even he didn't play him

Blues is okay, not the best. Not convinced he's anything other than a player for a mid table League 1 club though. Same goes for Van Schaik, below average player - happy we've got them off the wage budget tbh as they're nowhere near good enough

Just now, IainMorton said:

Good enough for the Championship, though?

I wouldn't say so. Watched both play reserve football for about a year in a 352 system which was Hoppy's favoured formation with us. HVS is pretty tall and strong but can be a bit timid at the back, will do okay if he's got two cracking defenders next to him (was partnered by Hakeem Odoffin and Jack McMillan two comfortably better players). He's still young so could turn a corner to be fair but think he came off the bench for us once for us to waste time to draw v Celtic and that was it.

Honestly Blues is a CM that you never see, the game can pass him by so easily and he doesn't get stuck in. With our midfield core of 3 it was always hard to break in but in the reserves you could never pin down what kind of player he is, he doesn't do a lot of running (aka Pittman), he doesn't slow the play down and find a pass/beat a man (aka Byrne) and he doesn't get stuck in and break up the play (aka Jacobs). Maybe he'd do better in a different position but I genuinely don't see much in him at all, and I'm sure Brechin/Berwick fans will agree.

Honestly Blues is a CM that you never see, the game can pass him by so easily and he doesn't get stuck in. With our midfield core of 3 it was always hard to break in but in the reserves you could never pin down what kind of player he is, he doesn't do a lot of running (aka Pittman), he doesn't slow the play down and find a pass/beat a man (aka Byrne) and he doesn't get stuck in and break up the play (aka Jacobs). Maybe he'd do better in a different position but I genuinely don't see much in him at all, and I'm sure Brechin/Berwick fans will agree.

I think that’s spot on and pretty much how I’d describe him as well. He’s a central midfielder but with nothing about him at all. Was really surprised when Livi took him last season as he never really looked like he was going to be good enough. I’d imagine he’s just a cheap bench warmer for you guys and doubt he’d see much game time. Paul Hartley in all his wisdom did try him out at right-back against Dundee Utd in what ended up being his last game for us and Billy King just completely tore him to shreds. He made King look like a world beater that night.

Blues is a bit of a odd signing.  We have Jacobs, Lyon, Millar and McCalister so we'll covered in the DM/CM positions and we have Nesbitt, Cadden, Salkeld  and even Orsi who can player in the more attacking midfield roles so the last position we need is another midfielder. 

I'd understand it if we were signing someone who was much better than what we have and was coming in to start, but he doesn't strike me as that at all, so what's the point? Hope we haven't wasted a wage on him when we still need a couple of defenders, arguably another striker and perhaps a keeper depending on how long Pearson is out for. 

The defender will be raw but Livvy  saw his potential  to bring him in last Oct so hopefully there is a player there. Presumably Hopkin spoke to Martindale so just need to trust him.  He was always going to struggle for game time with the defenders  Livvy had last season. Grant and McLean are experienced defenders which should help him settle. Not inspiring but as a Livvy fan said, they felt the same signing Lithgow and Hopkin turned his career around. 

Edited by madton