The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

On 16/07/2019 at 22:37, virginton said:

We’ll remember your utterly gormless player judgment though, when he’s shipping those comedy goals every single week with that rabble.

Is this post about Lee Kilday or the Billericay bombscare?

9 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:

If you're willing to part with £20 to go see that shambles this season you're a fucking lunatic.

That keeper has to go, end of. To think we wouldn't offer Gaston a good enough deal is just even more sickening now.

Keeper looks like exactly what he is, young and totally inexperienced. We need better...

9 hours ago, Tri-TON said:

If you're willing to part with £20 to go see that shambles this season you're a fucking lunatic.

That keeper has to go, end of. To think we wouldn't offer Gaston a good enough deal is just even more sickening now.

Calm the f**k down

That was the worst goalkeeping performance I have ever seen from a Morton keeper, and I've been watching Morton for 56 years.  While he wasn't really to blame for the first three goals, the fourth was entirely his fault.  More importantly though was that although he made some decent saves, I don't think he actually held the ball all night - everything was parried or spilled, and our defence was constantly having to clear up the mess.  I know he's a young keeper and maybe with coaching he will develop, but he's no Derek Gaston or Robbie McRorie, both good keepers at our level for us.  I wonder what transfer fee we would need to fork out to get Gaston back from Arbroath - and why was he not offered enough money to stay anyway?

There are some signs of positivity in other areas of the team, not for Motherwell's level but ok for the championship, but we need more defensive options.  Lewis Strapp is hard as nails and generally his tackling is fair, and he looks like a decent prospect.  We'll know more after we have played Annan and Queens, but clearly we are not the finished article.

Keeper you had second half of last season was much the same... 
Highly rated Scotland U21 International who has progressed through the youths at a Premiership team, rated as a future number 1 for Rangers and Scotland, who had a full season at Berwick before stepping up to the Championship to continue his development.

Vs an English non-league nomark, signed by a manager who hadn't seen him play on the recommendation of a coach who knows little about what is required at this level.

Yup, entirely the same...

43 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Highly rated Scotland U21 International who has progressed through the youths at a Premiership team, rated as a future number 1 for Rangers and Scotland, who had a full season at Berwick before stepping up to the Championship to continue his development.

Vs an English non-league nomark, signed by a manager who hadn't seen him play on the recommendation of a coach who knows little about what is required at this level.

Yup, entirely the same...

Maybe I'm wrong , but I think the word "Whoosh" may be in order here.......

Our goal-keeping coach recommended we sign him. He may have potential I'm not sure, but what I am sure of is he's not ready for Championship level of football.

Our goal-keeping coach has just cost us an outfield player as we will now have to use our loan/budget to bring in another keeper  

4 hours ago, Alibi said:

I know he's a young keeper and maybe with coaching he will develop, but he's no Derek Gaston or Robbie McRorie, both good keepers at our level for us.  I wonder what transfer fee we would need to fork out to get Gaston back from Arbroath - and why was he not offered enough money to stay anyway?

16 hours ago, Tri-TON said:

To think we wouldn't offer Gaston a good enough deal is just even more sickening now.

What evidence is there that a lack of money was the main reason that Gaston didn't stay at the club? He has two other jobs as well and wasn't getting game time last season; it's far more likely that part-time football at Arbroath was simply a better option all round for him at this stage in his career.

I really don't understand the pining for Gaston after last night either. We have brought in half a dozen goalkeepers over the past three years because Gaston didn't make the no. 1 jersey his own and so we wanted to have a better option in the future. When Pearson was added to the squad in January it was  quite clear that he would be pushing into the first team this summer, which pointed a senior first team player like Gaston towards the exit door. What we saw last night was the performance of a second-choice goalkeeper - it's hardly unusual for them to be dodgy as f**k at this level - and we simply have to wait for Pearson to be fit and hopefully prove much better than that level of performance. If that doesn't happen then signing and retaining Pearson will have been the blunder here rather than not keeping Gaston. 

Edited by vikingTON

^^^ pretty much nailed it there. Pearson will be first choice when fit, Ramsbottom has to hold the fort till then. And Gaston gets a regular game and keeps his other employment. 

We've been Unlucky with Pearson's injury but hopefully he'll be over it soon and in the team. 

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

On 13/07/2019 at 13:34, virginton said:

If McGeever wanted to stay part-time, then he could have found a dozen better clubs to sign for than Dumbarton right now. But none of them actually wanted him, because he is a useless haddy. Thanks for playing anyway. 

Dumbarton are allowing to continue his uni course FT, other clubs couldn't guarantee that so suited him better 

On 20/07/2019 at 13:55, virginton said:

What evidence is there that a lack of money was the main reason that Gaston didn't stay at the club? He has two other jobs as well and wasn't getting game time last season; it's far more likely that part-time football at Arbroath was simply a better option all round for him at this stage in his career.

I really don't understand the pining for Gaston after last night either. We have brought in half a dozen goalkeepers over the past three years because Gaston didn't make the no. 1 jersey his own and so we wanted to have a better option in the future. When Pearson was added to the squad in January it was  quite clear that he would be pushing into the first team this summer, which pointed a senior first team player like Gaston towards the exit door. What we saw last night was the performance of a second-choice goalkeeper - it's hardly unusual for them to be dodgy as f**k at this level - and we simply have to wait for Pearson to be fit and hopefully prove much better than that level of performance. If that doesn't happen then signing and retaining Pearson will have been the blunder here rather than not keeping Gaston. 

Fair point, VT, although given that it was McRorie who kept Gaston out the team, if Gaston knew McRorie wasn't returning he might have stayed on.  We don't know all the ins and outs but Gaston has demonstrated over 7 seasons that he is a perfectly adequate keeper at our level despite his known deficiencies.  The point is that Gaston, and especially McRorie, were both better options than Ramsbottom, who so far appears to be a complete imposter.  If this Pearson guy, about whom I know nothing, is our first choice keeper and is any good, then we can probably live with that.  I assume Ramsbottom will be in the goal tomorrow night, and maybe he might show something to justify his signing, but if not then I would say we have wasted a wage and we will be living in fear of Pearson getting injured.