The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

We have to remember this is only the 2nd game we have played with our new squad.
I thought all 3 CB's had a good game. When you consider some of the bomb scare performances last season they were light years ahead.
McGeever strolled it. Big strong and never lost a header the whole game. Could have been MotM.
Grant had one stray header, but apart from that had a good game.
The other trialist  was very composed and tried to pass everything out from defence.

Bang on. Impressive considering the nonsence from Buchanan & Co.

4 hours ago, Colkitto said:

I thought all 3 CB's had a good game. When you consider some of the bomb scare performances last season they were light years ahead.

McGeever strolled it. Big strong and never lost a header the whole game. Could have been MotM.

So how did we effortlessly ship three goals in barely fifty minutes then if all our centre backs were so great? 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

So how did we effortlessly ship three goals in barely fifty minutes then if all our centre backs were so great? 

Don't ask difficult questions. The average fan only has a football memory of about 45 minutes. 

4 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

You definitely should know better by now. Pre-season friendlies are breeding grounds for misplaced optimism (and misplaced pessimism, for that matter). 

I think it's really, really difficult to tell how things are shaping up for us. It's a squad full risks, and it's far from complete. 

Need to trust Hoppy's judgement.

4 hours ago, TheGoon said:

I don’t know what game Col was watching, McGeever looked miles out of dis depth (and by all accounts was the exact same against Forfar) 

Grant was solid though.

Yeah I was told by a mate at the game he was dreadful too.  

14 hours ago, TheGoon said:

I don’t know what game Col was watching, McGeever looked miles out of dis depth (and by all accounts was the exact same against Forfar) 

Grant was solid though.

Out his depth by winning every header and just about every tackle?  He never looked out of his depth at any point in the game.

Maybe you can point out what I missed?

19 hours ago, virginton said:

Because none of the CB's were at fault. One came from the RB position after a misplaced pass by McAlister I think. 

2nd was a penalty by Tumilty

3rd was from the LB position as Wotherspoon showed a nice bit of skill to be fair 

It appears that minds were made up on McGeever before the game even kicked off. He was the best of the 3 CBs easily. 

If Grant was also named as a trialist the other night and not a signed player, he wouldn't be getting any praise whatsoever. 

20 hours ago, virginton said:

Because that's how football works. Any match day of any season you'll find teams with excellent midfields/defences/goalkeepers shipping three goals or more, often against teams thought to be inferior. 

Plus we're talking here about guys who have played at most one full game together previously and haven't had long enough to work out an understanding and whow best to work as a unit. 

Straightforward stuff; I'm surprised you didn't know this. Or were you just trying to start an argument yet again or look like a smartarse? 

58 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Because none of the CB's were at fault. One came from the RB position after a misplaced pass by McAlister I think. 

3rd was from the LB position as Wotherspoon showed a nice bit of skill to be fair 

Anyway, there's your answer. Consider yerself telt. 

No, because the whole point of having three centre backs on the pitch is that one should come across and mop up whatever clusterfuck goes on in the wide areas. Just defending the way you’re facing and abdicating all responsibility for the three goals that your defence ships anyway is not a good performance at all.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

No, because the whole point of having three centre backs on the pitch is that one should come across and mop up whatever clusterfuck goes on in the wide areas. Just defending the way you’re facing and abdicating all responsibility for the three goals that your defence ships anyway is not a good performance at all.

:bairn

So you’ve got nothing then. As standard as the shrieking meltdown you’ll have yet again when the same players are shipping goals to plumbers and fishermen in November and you’re wondering why oh why this was allowed to happen.

It’s our very own Scouse boom-bust cycle.

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Because that's how football works. Any match day of any season you'll find teams with excellent midfields/defences/goalkeepers shipping three goals or more, often against teams thought to be inferior. 

Yet no sane person would leave said match and say 'boy, the centre backs really had a great game in that 0-3 shoeing by Alloa!' And so here we are, with your predictably moronic 'contribution'.

Plus we're talking here about guys who have played at most one full game together previously and haven't had long enough to work out an understanding and whow best to work as a unit. 

That's a (barely) mitigating circumstance for piss-poor defending, not a reason to start grading on a curve and say that they had a 'great' performance when they quite clearly did not. 

38 minutes ago, virginton said:

So you’ve got nothing then. As standard as the shrieking meltdown you’ll have yet again when the same players are shipping goals to plumbers and fishermen in November and you’re wondering why oh why this was allowed to happen.

It’s our very own Scouse boom-bust cycle.

Hoppy talking about the Trialist CB McLean "I thought he was excellent."  How can he say that about a CB who played in a defence that lost 3 goals?  

I thought he had a great game also, but the other two performed better on the night.  Just my opinion right enough...