The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Thoughts on Frank Ross? IIRC he did ok for you a couple of years ago?

Started off brightly but was quite poor after a couple of months. That was maybe down to Duffy’s shitebag tactics right enough. Loves a 50/50 challenge which is quite unusual for a winger of his shape. 

Have you got a strong team out tonight?

We're sort of half and half and its 2-0 after 25 minutes already. 

27 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:
31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
Have you got a strong team out tonight?
We're sort of half and half and its 2-0 after 25 minutes already. 

What is this strong team you speak of?

That bad? 😂

Now 3-0, from the end of last seasons starting 11, we're only 4 players down (Clark, Gordon, Craig, Kennedy), so it's not too weak a side.

First half was dreadful and I considered going home. Second half was much better.

I know it's only one game but Orsi looks a right dud. McAlister and Jacobs both do the same job (Jacobs better) and Regan Tumilty is still absolute shite.

Nesbitt playing central doesn't inspire much hope but it was a very nice goal he scored.

Salkeld looks like he's got a bit about him - first half shunted all over the place and second half at RWB.

Peter Grant was easily the worst of the 3 CBs. McGeever had an excellent game tbh.

2nd half everyone seemed to gel and we looked a team. Considering it's only the squads 2nd game I was impressed. 

I thought the 3 CB's were very composed and played well. Don't know if it was my imagination, but they looked better than what we had last season!

Until Sutton came on we lacked a bit of presence up front. He scored one and nearly added another. 

Salkeld definitely has a bit about him and started to get into the game more in the 2nd half. 

Nesbitt livened up too and started playing - took his goal  well on the volley. 

Maybe I shouldn't be this optimistic, but things shaping up well. We're not finished in the transfer market and a couple of quality loan signings and I reckon we won't be far away

57 minutes ago, #Gary said:

First half was dreadful and I considered going home. Second half was much better.

I know it's only one game but Orsi looks a right dud. McAlister and Jacobs both do the same job (Jacobs better) and Regan Tumilty is still absolute shite.

Nesbitt playing central doesn't inspire much hope but it was a very nice goal he scored.

Salkeld looks like he's got a bit about him - first half shunted all over the place and second half at RWB.

Peter Grant was easily the worst of the 3 CBs. McGeever had an excellent game tbh.

Watching a different game from me 

1 hour ago, #Gary said:

You talk absolute pish. 

43 minutes ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

You talk absolute pish. 

Where exactly?

We weren't dreadful first half?

We weren't good second half?

Orsi, McAlister and Tumilty were good?

Nesbitt isnt more suited to a wide role?

Salkeld wasn't good?

Grant was good? 

McGeever wasn't? Gonna guess your comment was based on this point alone since it appears most had made their mind up about him before he kicked a ball. I have it on good authority that Hopkin was very impressed by him tonight and is ready to offer him a contract, so presumably he talks pish as well.

Edited by #Gary

Aye would be surprised if he wasn't offered something based on the game time he has had, the amount of time he has been training with us and the fact we need players signed for next week. 

Not heard great things but not seen him personally to judge and Hopkin must see something in him. 

As long as we still bring in 1/2 better quality/experienced CBs, be it signings or loans, happy to trust Hopkin if/when he signs. 

Personally would offer a 6 month deal just incase its a disaster! 

Was worried for Morton after the first 50 minutes as they chased shadows but the introduction of Sutton and reverting to Hopkinball did the trick and really unsettled Saints. 

I suppose the question is whether you can get a whole season out of Sutton or whether Muirhead can act as that focal point? 

We have to remember this is only the 2nd game we have played with our new squad.

I thought all 3 CB's had a good game. When you consider some of the bomb scare performances last season they were light years ahead.

McGeever strolled it. Big strong and never lost a header the whole game. Could have been MotM.

Grant had one stray header, but apart from that had a good game.

The other trialist  was very composed and tried to pass everything out from defence.

Edited by Colkitto

3 hours ago, Colkitto said:

We have to remember this is only the 2nd game we have played with our new squad.

I thought all 3 CB's had a good game. When you consider some of the bomb scare performances last season they were light years ahead.

McGeever strolled it. Big strong and never lost a header the whole game. Could have been MotM.

Grant had one stray header, but apart from that had a good game.

The other trialist  was very composed and tried to pass everything out from defence.

Yip this 

14 hours ago, Colkitto said:

2nd half everyone seemed to gel and we looked a team. Considering it's only the squads 2nd game I was impressed. 

I thought the 3 CB's were very composed and played well. Don't know if it was my imagination, but they looked better than what we had last season!

Until Sutton came on we lacked a bit of presence up front. He scored one and nearly added another. 

Salkeld definitely has a bit about him and started to get into the game more in the 2nd half. 

Nesbitt livened up too and started playing - took his goal  well on the volley. 

Maybe I shouldn't be this optimistic, but things shaping up well. We're not finished in the transfer market and a couple of quality loan signings and I reckon we won't be far away

You definitely should know better by now. Pre-season friendlies are breeding grounds for misplaced optimism (and misplaced pessimism, for that matter). 

I think it's really, really difficult to tell how things are shaping up for us. It's a squad full risks, and it's far from complete.