The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

15 hours ago, virginton said:

By all means:

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/41/suppl_1/i33.short

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1466853X13000102

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4870829/

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/40/12/975.short

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/44/11/794

And last but certainly not least, the all-important meta-analysis of studies conducted on artificial pitches and injury risk:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jsm/2013/380523/

The scientific evidence is comprehensive on this matter. Artificial surfaces do not increase the risk of injury for professional footballers; whether some players feel concerned about playing on that surface or not is irrelevant. 

Crumbs?

I thought they would have been looking to get him placed at PL level bottom 6.

With JJ gone the link was broken so no chance of return to Ton will do reasonably well +, only issue was his increasing failure to come for crossed balls, may have been our coaching.

We will no doubt have two, three or more trialists in the squad on Saturday so there will be bodies covering the defensive positions. It’s a friendly against Forfar, it’s not as if it’s the first league game of the season.

It’s not ideal, true, but hardly the end of the world (unless you’re one of the majority of posters on the Morton forum, of course; never seen such an amount of knickerwetting and negativity about every little thing from what are supposedly adults. Some on there really should have a word with themselves).

We will no doubt have two, three or more trialists in the squad on Saturday so there will be bodies covering the defensive positions. It’s a friendly against Forfar, it’s not as if it’s the first league game of the season.
It’s not ideal, true, but hardly the end of the world (unless you’re one of the majority of posters on the Morton forum, of course; never seen such an amount of knickerwetting and negativity about every little thing from what are supposedly adults. Some on there really should have a word with themselves).
Knickerwetting and negativity about knickerwetting and negativity.

Grow up.

11 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

That totally fails to distinguish between ‘every little thing’ and what is really quite a big thing... not having a credible squad of players. A friendly at Forfar isn’t totally meaningless, otherwise we wouldn’t be playing it. It’s one of only two games we have pencilled in to prepare for the competitive season... which starts on the 16th of fuckin July!

We’re well on course here for a McKinnon-style dismissal of the League Cup games as ‘preparation’. We should be more or less ready for the season when the season actually starts, maybe adding a couple of high-quality loans towards the end of the window.

A quick look at the other squads in the division tells you we need to get a move on...

On 02/07/2019 at 23:14, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I’m assuming the injuries and the loss of pace have something to do with it; otherwise, we’re looking at someone at Cappielow deluding themselves they’ll get better than Kilday for less money. I don’t believe we’d have let him go without anyone on the way in, unless they know he’s physically shot (and I don’t believe he’s gone to QoS for the big bucks...).

On the pitches, I was talking quite specifically about Lee Kilday signing for QoS and playing at Palmerston... a poor artificial surface, deteriorating like they all do. I might of course be wrong, but I don’t see Kilday thriving there. Training and playing matches is a totally different proposition.

To repeat, I made no generalisation about artificial surfaces; you did that, claiming outright that they ‘don’t cause injuries’. Some clearly do contribute to some injuries in some players; ask anybody who’s played on them in a sustained way, especially after 30.

Different point altogether, but they also contribute to shite football and shouldn’t be allowed above League 1; no amount of ‘scientific studies’ will disprove that.

I’ll graciously concede the point about Dick Byrne.

Whit? You have evidence that some artificial surfaces "clearly contribute to injuries" do you? I expect people will be delighted to see that then seeing as plenty of people have been trying to prove it for years and failing. The best player in this League has played on one for the last three seasons now with no major injury problems (he's pulled his hamstring twice but one of those was on grass at Somerset and I doubt a pulled hamstring relates to the pitch). He's in his late 30's. Derek Lyle played on it week in, week out until he was 37 too with no significant injury.

2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Knickerwetting and negativity about knickerwetting and negativity.

Grow up.

^^^ one of the prime knickerwetting moaners

2 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

That totally fails to distinguish between ‘every little thing’ and what is really quite a big thing... not having a credible squad of players. A friendly at Forfar isn’t totally meaningless, otherwise we wouldn’t be playing it. It’s one of only two games we have pencilled in to prepare for the competitive season... which starts on the 16th of fuckin July!

We’re well on course here for a McKinnon-style dismissal of the League Cup games as ‘preparation’. We should be more or less ready for the season when the season actually starts, maybe adding a couple of high-quality loans towards the end of the window.

A quick look at the other squads in the division tells you we need to get a move on...

As I said, it isn't anywhere near ideal, but a sense of perspective is needed. For example, according to the BBC as of yesterday Kilmarnock hadn't made a single signing in the close season. 

Let's, for once, assume a Morton manager knows what he's doing. If it all goes tits up, be as neg as you like, but till then dry the eyes (& the pants). 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Whit? You have evidence that some artificial surfaces "clearly contribute to injuries" do you? I expect people will be delighted to see that then seeing as plenty of people have been trying to prove it for years and failing. The best player in this League has played on one for the last three seasons now with no major injury problems (he's pulled his hamstring twice but one of those was on grass at Somerset and I doubt a pulled hamstring relates to the pitch). He's in his late 30's. Derek Lyle played on it week in, week out until he was 37 too with no significant injury.

Surprised it took you so long.

I'm not trying to prove anything, just offering an opinion based on experience... no need to be so defensive. You'll no doubt be able to put me right, but Dobbie's second-half dip -- and, if I recall, a calf injury that nearly got you relegated -- might well be down to wear and tear associated with the pitch. As you'll no doubt be aware, the problem isn't the surface itself, but the fact that you can't prevent them hardening over years of use. They're basically a con, punted on the basis that they 'last forever'; reality is you need to shell out to replace it every eight years or so... and it will be a problem for the last couple of years of that.

On the other point, are you honestly going to tell me you've preferred watching your team on the plastic, compared to previous years on grass?

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

^^^ one of the prime knickerwetting moaners

As I said, it isn't anywhere near ideal, but a sense of perspective is needed. For example, according to the BBC as of yesterday Kilmarnock hadn't made a single signing in the close season. 

Let's, for once, assume a Morton manager knows what he's doing. If it all goes tits up, be as neg as you like, but till then dry the eyes (& the pants). 

Not clear as to why we appear to agree that it 'isn't anywhere near ideal', but asking the question is somehow negative.

Like Hopkin and have high-ish hopes... but totally legit to be asking 'where the f**k are the centre-halves?' as we approach the first game. If that counts as knicker-wetting, we're all gonnae drown...

34 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Surprised it took you so long.

I'm not trying to prove anything, just offering an opinion based on experience... no need to be so defensive. You'll no doubt be able to put me right, but Dobbie's second-half dip -- and, if I recall, a calf injury that nearly got you relegated -- might well be down to wear and tear associated with the pitch. As you'll no doubt be aware, the problem isn't the surface itself, but the fact that you can't prevent them hardening over years of use. They're basically a con, punted on the basis that they 'last forever'; reality is you need to shell out to replace it every eight years or so... and it will be a problem for the last couple of years of that.

On the other point, are you honestly going to tell me you've preferred watching your team on the plastic, compared to previous years on grass?

Your extensive experience as a professional footballer at SPFL level? You said artificial pitches "clearly contribute to injuries", a lazy soundbite with in fact no evidence whatsoever to back it up.

If you had actually read the post you quoted I wouldnt need to put you right. Since you clearly didnt I will repeat it for you. He pulled a hamstring, on grass, at Somerset Park. You made up the bit about a calf injury.

And what second half dip? He scored 43 goals last season in 44 games. His scoring rate was slightly lower in the second part of the season, probably because as a team we played poorer, but it was hardly a drought!

And frankly I couldnt care less what surface I watch my team on. They are certainly more than capable of playing great and rotten football on both surfaces. If you are asking if I think playing on 3G in some way detracts from the quality on offer then no, I dont.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

An overnight stay in Inverness on the Friday and the chance to take in a Highland League game on the Saturday. Delightful.

Never easy or cheap with all the tourists at that time.

Last year I took a single room and found it would have been more comfortable and spacious sleeping in my bathroom. 

Anyway you can always join in on the highland dancing.

18 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Your extensive experience as a professional footballer at SPFL level? You said artificial pitches "clearly contribute to injuries", a lazy soundbite with in fact no evidence whatsoever to back it up.

If you had actually read the post you quoted I wouldnt need to put you right. Since you clearly didnt I will repeat it for you. He pulled a hamstring, on grass, at Somerset Park. You made up the bit about a calf injury.

And what second half dip? He scored 43 goals last season in 44 games. His scoring rate was slightly lower in the second part of the season, probably because as a team we played poorer, but it was hardly a drought!

And frankly I couldnt care less what surface I watch my team on. They are certainly more than capable of playing great and rotten football on both surfaces. If you are asking if I think playing on 3G in some way detracts from the quality on offer then no, I dont.

Sorry, I didn't realise the only way to encounter shite artificial surfaces was as a professional footballer in the SPFL... I'll bear that in mind. Also didn't realise that was some kind of qualification for commenting on a message board; this place needs a bit of a clear-out.

I should have realised, though, that any implied criticism of your club and/or your best player would be met with touchy-touchy-touchiness... glad to hear Sir Stephen's calves are in good shape and delighted that he definitely didn't have a poor late season...

Apart from that, your pitch is shite and you're deluding yourself that it doesn't affect the quality of the football on show... same as it does at Alloa, Grangemouth, Kilmarnock, Hamilton. There are very good reasons why they're not used for top-level football all across Northern Europe (with the exception of places with extreme winter climates, like Russia, where guaranteeing European fixtures can go ahead is the main driver). And there is one very good reason why Scotland is an exception: in this, as in so many other things, we are tin-pot as f**k...

See you on 14 September, brother.