The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

8 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

p.s. to say I don’t agree with Colkitto... you might get lucky, of course, but we let Kilday go for a reason... and we currently have zero centre-halves...

Yes and we're also currently chasing after a worse centre back who couldn't get a game ahead of him in the second half of last season; it's almost as if we're making a royal c**t of this transfer window. 

16 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Wee touch of class about him, but injuries look to have caught up with him at a pretty young age. Would fear for him a bit playing on an artificial surface every other week.

Artificial surfaces don't cause injuries - as proven by countless scientific studies on the topic - but congrats on finally completing the full 'football da' bingo card of nonsense takes. 

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Lee kilday what can we expect from him? signed for Queens today. 

He was really solid at this level a couple of seasons ago, knocked back a move to Hamilton to stay with us, but as others have said injuries have taken their toll. Still a good player in there though, susceptible to a few braindead errors but so are most defenders at this level. He should do well for you.  

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Lee kilday what can we expect from him? signed for Queens today. 

Started at Morton as a right back which was pretty horrible in League 1. Surprised many when re-signed for the Championship but had a strong period in central defence before his injury. As has previously been said, Hamilton tried to take him back but he decided to stay. Seemed really respected by the rest of the squad when he was captain.

He hasn't been the same since coming back from injury but then again most of our defence has been shocking during that period. Prone to the calamitous but so are most or they wouldn't be at this level.

If he gets back to his best and fully recovers from his injuries it's a good signing for you. A strong partner will help.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Artificial surfaces don't cause injuries - as proven by countless scientific studies on the topic - but congrats on finally completing the full 'football da' bingo card of nonsense takes. 

More pounshhop PhD pish from the numpty who has only played subbuteo. If you are in wrong position, and need to move quickly, an artificial surface does not give way like turf and distributes force to your knees. If Bonucci Kilday has a dodgy knee he will be affected. 

1 minute ago, Branch Ton said:

More pounshhop PhD pish from the numpty who has only played subbuteo.

^^^ second bottle of Grants, thumping the keyboard with hairy fists

If you are in wrong position, and need to move quickly, an artificial surface does not give way like turf and distributes force to your knees. If Bonucci Kilday has a dodgy knee he will be affected. 

Unfortunately for you countless scientific studies have in fact failed to support that theory. Not least because modern, 4G artificial surfaces are in fact designed to give way like a reasonable grass surface - never mind the ploughed fields that professional footballers end up playing on by March of a Scottish league campaign. 

Thanks for playing anyway. 

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Yes and we're also currently chasing after a worse centre back who couldn't get a game ahead of him in the second half of last season; it's almost as if we're making a royal c**t of this transfer window. 

That’s my point, Bishop. We’ve let Kilday go for a reason... and that reason is most definitely not that we’ve got a queue of better players in his position.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

I didn’t say ‘artificial surfaces cause injuries’. Only a fool would say something as general as that.

What I said was that I’d be ‘concerned’ (not too much tbh) about the effect of the relatively poor surfaces we have in Scotland on a player with Kilday’s injury history... but let’s wait and see, eh? (same goes for Tidser at Grangemouth, btw).

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

^^^ second bottle of Grants, thumping the keyboard with hairy fists

Unfortunately for you countless scientific studies have in fact failed to support that theory. Not least because modern, 4G artificial surfaces are in fact designed to give way like a reasonable grass surface - never mind the ploughed fields that professional footballers end up playing on by March of a Scottish league campaign. 

Thanks for playing anyway. 

Cite your sources Doc. Even a Poundshop PhD paper would require you to evidence your assertions. 

Have you bought your "I luv Hoppy", t-shirt yet? 

8 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

That’s my point, Bishop. We’ve let Kilday go for a reason... and that reason is most definitely not that we’ve got a queue of better players in his position.

The reason for letting KIlday go seems to be financial rather than on playing ability, seeing as we've failed to find a better option in the market and are sniffing around a bench-warmer from last season's side.

I didn’t say ‘artificial surfaces cause injuries’. Only a fool would say something as general as that.

What I said was that I’d be ‘concerned’ (not too much tbh) about the effect of the relatively poor surfaces we have in Scotland on a player with Kilday’s injury history... but let’s wait and see, eh? (same goes for Tidser at Grangemouth, btw).

Erm no, you actually said that you'd be concerned about 'playing on an artificial surface every other week' - not 'playing on a poor Scottish league football surface every other week'. Which he'd be doing anyway playing for any team at Championship level. 

Throw in the fact that Kilday was of course training on an artificial surface every day at Parklea for several years and the idea that the type of surface will have any impact on this signing is a total red herring. 

And Dick Byrne isn't a bishop either.

2 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

Cite your sources Doc. Even a Poundshop PhD paper would require you to evidence your assertions. 

Have you bought your "I luv Hoppy", t-shirt yet? 

By all means:

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/41/suppl_1/i33.short

In the present study among young female football players, the overall risk of acute injuries was similar between artificial turf and natural grass.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1466853X13000102

Whether reporting all injuries or just those that prevented players from taking part in training or match play, injury incidence rates were generally higher when Saudi National Team footballers played on grass than on 3G artificial surface. Although this is a small study, the unique quasi-repeated measures study design with elite Saudi National Team footballers, adds to the current belief that 3G artificial turf does not increase injury risk in football.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4870829/

In professional youth soccer injury rates are reasonably low. Muscle injuries are the most common type of injuries while groin and thigh the most common locations. Artificial turf pitches don’t seem to contribute to injury incidence in young football players.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/40/12/975.short

No evidence of a greater risk of injury was found when football was played on artificial turf compared with natural grass. The higher incidence of ankle sprain on artificial turf warrants further attention, although this result should be interpreted with caution as the number of ankle sprains was low.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/44/11/794

No significant differences were detected in injury rate or pattern between 3GAT and NG in Norwegian male professional football.

And last but certainly not least, the all-important meta-analysis of studies conducted on artificial pitches and injury risk:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jsm/2013/380523/

This meta-analysis examined eight studies that compared soccer injury rates occurring on AT and NG. In total, these studies report nearly 1.5 million hours of training and match play and almost 10,000 injuries. The adjusted IRR for all injures was significantly less than 1.0 indicating lower incidence rates for playing and training on AT. For specific categories and specific injuries, several IRR values were less than 1.0. In no case did we find an IRR value significantly greater than 1.0. Thus, the overall results of our analyses do not support the idea that playing or training on AT increases the risk of injury compared to NG. In fact, our analyses suggest that AT surfaces may reduce injury incidence for some types of injuries within specific categorizations.

The scientific evidence is comprehensive on this matter. Artificial surfaces do not increase the risk of injury for professional footballers; whether some players feel concerned about playing on that surface or not is irrelevant. 

Thoughts on Robbie McCrorie apparently he is signing for Queens on loan. 
Liked him. Some cracking saves. Kept us in a fair few games when he came in and displaced Gaston. Would rather have him again than the 2 ringers we have.

Very good young keeper, looks confident and never seems to panic. Good kick on him too, he’ll do well for you.

6 hours ago, virginton said:

The reason for letting KIlday go seems to be financial rather than on playing ability, seeing as we've failed to find a better option in the market and are sniffing around a bench-warmer from last season's side.

Erm no, you actually said that you'd be concerned about 'playing on an artificial surface every other week' - not 'playing on a poor Scottish league football surface every other week'. Which he'd be doing anyway playing for any team at Championship level. 

Throw in the fact that Kilday was of course training on an artificial surface every day at Parklea for several years and the idea that the type of surface will have any impact on this signing is a total red herring. 

And Dick Byrne isn't a bishop either.

I’m assuming the injuries and the loss of pace have something to do with it; otherwise, we’re looking at someone at Cappielow deluding themselves they’ll get better than Kilday for less money. I don’t believe we’d have let him go without anyone on the way in, unless they know he’s physically shot (and I don’t believe he’s gone to QoS for the big bucks...).

On the pitches, I was talking quite specifically about Lee Kilday signing for QoS and playing at Palmerston... a poor artificial surface, deteriorating like they all do. I might of course be wrong, but I don’t see Kilday thriving there. Training and playing matches is a totally different proposition.

To repeat, I made no generalisation about artificial surfaces; you did that, claiming outright that they ‘don’t cause injuries’. Some clearly do contribute to some injuries in some players; ask anybody who’s played on them in a sustained way, especially after 30.

Different point altogether, but they also contribute to shite football and shouldn’t be allowed above League 1; no amount of ‘scientific studies’ will disprove that.

I’ll graciously concede the point about Dick Byrne.

6 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Solid. Great command of his area/communicator for his age and capable of some fantastic stops. Obviously some way away from being the finished article, but he’s definitely got a decent future ahead of him.