The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

35 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

The way I heard it it was more to do with the development squad, but reading Hoppy's comments I'm astounded if he is indeed to be used in the first team. Bizarre if so...

I think the person who’s told you that has just picked the wording up wrongly with it being said that he’s combining playing with coaching the development squad. So no change in his coaching duties but he’s now registered as a player as cover for the first team.

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Hopkin explicitly mentioned Lee Miller at Livingston when talking about it, so that’s obviously exactly how he’s planning to use him.

Sutton hasn’t started a competitive game since we beat St Mirren 4-1 in August 2017, but he’s seemingly maintained his fitness rather than turning into Paul Hartley or Richard Brittain after retirement and it gives us a cheap extra body in a season where we’re clearly struggling to put a squad together. Hopefully we’ll see some movement on centre backs soon.

I still suspect he could do an occasional job from the bench for you, especially in a Hopkin-managed team. Sutton has always known where the goal is and, though he didn't play much for us in 17-18, he simply wasn't a Jack Ross type player (5'7" and fast). I can't hate John Sutton, even if he's playing for you guys. 

It's also an endorsement of the impact he must have at your training ground if Hopkin is happy for this to go ahead. Interesting that he tried to sign him when at Livi, too - he was strongly linked with a move away.

I'm quite happy with this, he's 35 and probably still at full fitness, it's not that old really, especially for our division, he could easily still do a job. I can't see him starting many games but it's a good option from the bench or to start the odd game we might deploy tactics that will suit his height and strength. He must still look fairly sharp in training for Hoppy to talk him into it, it's also a risk free gamble, it's not as if we are spending an extra wage on him, he's already on the books! I have a sneaky feeling this will be a shrewd bit of work from our ginger one.

Edited by M0rtonfc

2 hours ago, M0rtonfc said:

I'm quite happy with this, he's 35 and probably still at full fitness, it's not that old really, especially for our division, he could easily still do a job. I can't see him starting many games but it's a good option from the bench or to start the odd game we might deploy tactics that will suit his height and strength. He must still look fairly sharp in training for Hoppy to talk him into it, it's also a risk free gamble, it's not as if we are spending an extra wage on him, he's already on the books! I have a sneaky feeling this will be a shrewd bit of work from our ginger one.

I regularly see John Sutton cycling around the west end of Glasgow and he looks in good nick.  I'm not particularly impressed with the optics of this decision but I trust Hopkin.

On 28/06/2019 at 09:01, LargsTON said:

Thanks for that pointless, rambling post.  Yeah, thanks for that.

😮  Jeezo - you still here, dimbo??  Ain't seen any of your posts in months & wouldn't have bothered with this one either if I'd noticed who'd quoted me. Doesn't look as if you've improved any. 

In a rotten mood, were you? Was Beavis playing with someone else? 😝

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

😮  Jeezo - you still here, dimbo??  Ain't seen any of your posts in months & wouldn't have bothered with this one either if I'd noticed who'd quoted me. Doesn't look as if you've improved any. 

In a rotten mood, were you? Was Beavis playing with someone else? 😝

Fud.

9 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Lee kilday what can we expect from him? signed for Queens today. 

Very decent signing if he's over his ankle injury . That hampered him last season.

But I've a feeling if he gets a good pre-season he could be back to his best