The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

Got told a player of this description training but sounds like shite.

We had a big guy in the development squad called Daniel Martins. He was released in December. He could match the description. 

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

Do you guys have any black players in recent seasons who would come under the "unit" category?

I can't think off the top of my head only maybe Quitongo?

Quitongo is a moon-unit!

Quitongo was pretty ripped when he took his top off, but more of a moon unit than a “unit” as his behaviour and attitude proved.

We had Kudus Oyenuga a couple of seasons back and he LOOKED like he should’ve been a unit, but on the field he had the physical presence of a moth. The high point for him came towards the end of his single season with us when he came off the bench at Falkirk and scored the winning goal. The game was live on BBC Alba and at the end they interviewed him along with another Morton player, maybe big Lamie or Tam O’Ware. The guy who’d played the full 90 minutes was breathing normally and looked quite fresh but Kudus, who’d been on for just 15 or 20 minutes max, was blowing out his arse.

edited to add - someone posted on the Morton board last week that Kudus had  just signed for an English team, so I doubt it was him at Stenny.

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

We had a big guy in the development squad called Daniel Martins. He was released in December. He could match the description. 

That probably sounds about right. I was thinking low key player as our budget seems non existent.

19 hours ago, Colkitto said:

After a wee frenzy of new signings things have calmed down again.  Wonder if the next batch of arrivals will be loan players? 

Fully expected us to add a few late in the window, but tad concerned that we still have no centre backs with only a couple of weeks to our first cup game. The couple of guys  mentioned on trial doesn't exactly encourage you to go out and buy a season ticket, albeit, only 2 names of the apparent 6 on trial are out. Might be harsh but if guys are accepting trials,  they can't exactly be in demand.

Would have expected at least 2 CBs to be signed by now to at least work on defensive shape, work on partnerships etc etc. No point in having a decent looking attacking threat if we are piss poor at the back. I'm sure Hopkin is doing all he can but it is a bit frustrating. He always had a solid defensive unit at Livvy so confident he will get it right.

If/When we do add some decent CBs, the squad is looking ok to get through the cup games and hopefully we can pick up one or two good loans later on with another striker still a priority.

Quitongo was pretty ripped when he took his top off, but more of a moon unit than a “unit” as his behaviour and attitude proved.
We had Kudus Oyenuga a couple of seasons back and he LOOKED like he should’ve been a unit, but on the field he had the physical presence of a moth. The high point for him came towards the end of his single season with us when he came off the bench at Falkirk and scored the winning goal. The game was live on BBC Alba and at the end they interviewed him along with another Morton player, maybe big Lamie or Tam O’Ware. The guy who’d played the full 90 minutes was breathing normally and looked quite fresh but Kudus, who’d been on for just 15 or 20 minutes max, was blowing out his arse.

edited to add - someone posted on the Morton board last week that Kudus had  just signed for an English team, so I doubt it was him at Stenny.
Oyenuga was at Haringey Borough last season. Don't know if he's re-signed with them.

On 25/06/2019 at 22:19, Rudolph Hucker said:

Thanks for that pointless, rambling post.  Yeah, thanks for that.

Hopkin explicitly mentioned Lee Miller at Livingston when talking about it, so that’s obviously exactly how he’s planning to use him.

Sutton hasn’t started a competitive game since we beat St Mirren 4-1 in August 2017, but he’s seemingly maintained his fitness rather than turning into Paul Hartley or Richard Brittain after retirement and it gives us a cheap extra body in a season where we’re clearly struggling to put a squad together. Hopefully we’ll see some movement on centre backs soon.

6 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Hopkin explicitly mentioned Lee Miller at Livingston when talking about it, so that’s obviously exactly how he’s planning to use him.

Sutton hasn’t started a competitive game since we beat St Mirren 4-1 in August 2017, but he’s seemingly maintained his fitness rather than turning into Paul Hartley or Richard Brittain after retirement and it gives us a cheap extra body in a season where we’re clearly struggling to put a squad together. Hopefully we’ll see some movement on centre backs soon.

The way I heard it it was more to do with the development squad, but reading Hoppy's comments I'm astounded if he is indeed to be used in the first team. Bizarre if so...

The way I heard it it was more to do with the development squad, but reading Hoppy's comments I'm astounded if he is indeed to be used in the first team. Bizarre if so...

Why would he sign a 35 year old to play in the development squad??