The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

On 03/06/2019 at 17:17, Colkitto said:

Heard the squad will go on pre season training trip to Portugal

Hope its Albuferia when I'm there so I can get a kickabout with Dylan Dykes and break his ankle.

Would like to see us pick up Danny Rogers from Aberdeen on loan. Was at the Midden last season but didn't get a sniff. Pretty sure he had a solid season between the sticks for F*lkirk?
He was rank for us when he played, albeit less than a handful of games iirc. Picked up a serious injury that ruled him out for the majority of the season.

Hasn't kicked on since playing for Falkirk.

He was rank for us when he played, albeit less than a handful of games iirc. Picked up a serious injury that ruled him out for the majority of the season.

Hasn't kicked on since playing for Falkirk.
One outstanding season with us, a second, kind of mediocre one then by the sounds of it has done f**k all to write home about.

His form in 15/16 for us was class but times marching on for him.

One outstanding season with us, a second, kind of mediocre one then by the sounds of it has done f**k all to write home about.

His form in 15/16 for us was class but times marching on for him.
Maybe not the type of player we need them, especially after getting rid of Gaston. Would love to see us bring McCrorie back but I have a feeling he's gonna end up at Livi with Kelly leaving.

We'll need to get some loanee keeper in, as we don't know how good Pearson will prove to be and he's also had injury problems during his career so far. No wasting a full wage on another Scully-level clownshoes figure though. 

We know more than most that going for a squad full of unknown quantities can turn into a spectacular disaster but with the cuts we’re making when we already had one of the smallest budgets in the division in the first place, things wouldn’t have been likely to go well if we restricted ourselves to the same pool of Chanpionship journeymen that every other club in the division will also be looking at.

Taking risks on young cheap options who aren’t well known is realistically the only way for us to end up with a better squad than last season. We just have to trust that the management team are going to get more of the gambles right than they do wrong.

Hello, Mortonians. (And apologies for wondering why I couldn't find you in the League 1 forum - it's a League Cup tie coming up. Duh!)

Anyway, I am a Dumbarton-supporting gnome who is going to travel around  the country next season raising funds for The Sons Supporters' Trust and the M.S. Society. The first of my (really) crazy ideas is the "Hike to the 'dyke": Dumbarton F.C. to Morton F.C. (28 miles) for the match on 16 July. A bit like your own "Walk to the Rock" a few years back only in reverse and including more pubs. 

:cheers

I had a thought this morning - you guys need a lot of fund-raising  too so why don't I raise cash for your Supporters' Trust also? You can collect donations and I'll do the leg-work. The whole walk will be covered on my blog . My collection sheet has sponsorship options of 'per mile', 'per pub', and 'donation', but you can choose whatever way you want to do it. Or why not join me for the last part of the hike? I'm pretty sure I'll be at the "needing propped up" stage by then.

It's just a idea, but we have over a month to get our virtual  heads together so you can let me know your thoughts.

Mister Boggers

Edited by Mister Boggers
Added blog address

11 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

We know more than most that going for a squad full of unknown quantities can turn into a spectacular disaster but with the cuts we’re making when we already had one of the smallest budgets in the division in the first place, things wouldn’t have been likely to go well if we restricted ourselves to the same pool of Chanpionship journeymen that every other club in the division will also be looking at.

Taking risks on young cheap options who aren’t well known is realistically the only way for us to end up with a better squad than last season. We just have to trust that the management team are going to get more of the gambles right than they do wrong.

You would hope that Timmins has a good insight and knowledge of these players before recommending then to Hoppy.  They are unknown quantities to us but part of our coaching staff has seen them perform and made the recommendation.

Like all signings they will be a gamble, can they settle here, can they adapt to the Championship etc. I really hope the gamble pays off....

Last season we really struggled up front but managed 5th place.  We lost Denny for a whole season, Thomson, Dallas, O'Connell and Oliver where pretty ineffective  which left McHugh and even he got injured.

Goalkeeping positions now filled. Midfield nearly there too. More forward players to be signed and of course the crucial CB positions 

Edited by Colkitto