The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

I think there is more to this than just the appointment of a manager.  Hopkin is a lifelong Morton supporter; he is I suspect wealthy enough from his own playing career with Leeds and Chelsea that money may not be the main driver in taking this job; he is I understand also a shareholder in the club.  The 3 year contract makes perfect sense if you look beyond the bare story of a new managerial appointment.  I think Hoppy is here to stay for the longer term in some capacity.

This appointment is going to help with building our squad - having a highly-respected manager will do nothing to discourage decent players from signing for Morton, and having him in post now lets us get signing early on rather than scrambling around for the dregs in July.  Things might finally be looking up.

31 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Morton fans united for once with a wee bit of positivity. Even VT on board.

Trust this pair of roadsters to come and dampen the mood.

35 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

How dare you, you little drama queen, you've been throwing moodies for months. You'll be telling us next that he is on board the Easdales' bus as well. 

In the absence of a humbling retraction and apology to Hoppy VT's fork tongued snakery needs to be recognised. 

I think there is more to this than just the appointment of a manager.  Hopkin is a lifelong Morton supporter; he is I suspect wealthy enough from his own playing career with Leeds and Chelsea that money may not be the main driver in taking this job; he is I understand also a shareholder in the club.  The 3 year contract makes perfect sense if you look beyond the bare story of a new managerial appointment.  I think Hoppy is here to stay for the longer term in some capacity.
This appointment is going to help with building our squad - having a highly-respected manager will do nothing to discourage decent players from signing for Morton, and having him in post now lets us get signing early on rather than scrambling around for the dregs in July.  Things might finally be looking up.
Installing himself as manager and a self-funded assault on the Premiership.

Bring it on.

[emoji38]

Well that post is all over the place. Keyboard mashed a wee bit too hard I think. Points for effort though.

Nobody is on board with the Easdales yet, unless it's confirmed the Easdales are on board.

And humbling apology for what? Not liking the guy and preferring other candidates at previous times in history?

Doesn't affect whether someone thinks he is the right appointment this time or not, which he is, a fact that most are happy to discuss the merits of rather than fizzing about what big bad VT said about poor Hoppy before.

5 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

A couple of points to raise here, Jamie.

First, what bearing does what I drive have on what I post on here?

Second, and more seriously, the first thing I did in my post was to praise the appointment of both Hopkin and of his assistant. “Hopkin is the best appointment we could hope for and had any chance of getting, and his assistant looks to have a good pedigree.“ is what I said, and I meant it. I never welcomed the appointment of Ray McKinnon but I’m delighted with the appointment of Hopkin. Not positive enough for you? Tough. 

But there are double standards at work here. You and I both know that, if someone posted something that totally contradicted what  that person had posted before, the likelihood is that vt would be on here as soon as he saw it, slaughtering the poster for daring to change his mind, hurling personal abuse at him and clogging up the board with the same old boring photos of “Z” list nonentity chefs. And you wouldn’t have said a thing about it. However, I make a mild two-line remark about how vt  has changed his tune from the vitriol that he habitually threw in Hopkin’s direction in the past and you come along trumpeting about me “dampening the mood”. Ludicrous.

It would seem that you approve of some of the trolling and obnoxious guff that vt generally posts. Fair enough; frequently I don’t and, though I recognise his right to post what he wants, I too have that right and if  I can be arsed I might disagree with him,  criticise or ridicule him, just as he does to almost everyone else. As I said, if you don’t like it, tough - but don’t come on here posing as the arbiter of what posts are acceptable and what aren’t.

42 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

A couple of points to raise here, Jamie.

First, what bearing does what I drive have on what I post on here?

Second, and more seriously, the first thing I did in my post was to praise the appointment of both Hopkin and of his assistant. “Hopkin is the best appointment we could hope for and had any chance of getting, and his assistant looks to have a good pedigree.“ is what I said, and I meant it. I never welcomed the appointment of Ray McKinnon but I’m delighted with the appointment of Hopkin. Not positive enough for you? Tough. 

But there are double standards at work here. You and I both know that, if someone posted something that totally contradicted what  that person had posted before, the likelihood is that vt would be on here as soon as he saw it, slaughtering the poster for daring to change his mind, hurling personal abuse at him and clogging up the board with the same old boring photos of “Z” list nonentity chefs. And you wouldn’t have said a thing about it. However, I make a mild two-line remark about how vt  has changed his tune from the vitriol that he habitually threw in Hopkin’s direction in the past and you come along trumpeting about me “dampening the mood”. Ludicrous.

It would seem that you approve of some of the trolling and obnoxious guff that vt generally posts. Fair enough; frequently I don’t and, though I recognise his right to post what he wants, I too have that right and if  I can be arsed I might disagree with him,  criticise or ridicule him, just as he does to almost everyone else. As I said, if you don’t like it, tough - but don’t come on here posing as the arbiter of what posts are acceptable and what aren’t.

Tl;dr.

Surely if you don’t like VT’s posts the best thing to do would be to ignore them? You working yourself into a shoot over them, time and time again, is exactly what he’d want to happen. I thought only the yokels in League 1 and below bit as consistently, but you still do it. He’s living absolutely rent-free in you, and Branch Ton’s head at the minute, at minimal effort. You hate to see it.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

Surely if you don’t like VT’s posts the best thing to do would be to ignore them? You working yourself into a shoot over them, time and time again, is exactly what he’d want to happen. I thought only the yokels in League 1 and below bit as consistently, but you still do it. He’s living absolutely rent-free in you, and Branch Ton’s head at the minute, at minimal effort. You hate to see it.

Correct.  

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

Nah, I generally skim his posts, maybe grin and shake my heid a little and move on. Sometimes tho it's fun to respond in kind if I feel like it, and the level of abuse he hurls back at me shows that it gets to him. He always bites, except when it's a point he can't answer or when he knows he's beat. 

When all's said and done this is just a fitba' forum filled with anonymous nonentities, including me. In the grand scheme of life it's of even less importance than the fitba' is. Rest assured, mate, while I like to yank his (and others') chains sometimes it provides me with some low-grade amusement, nothing more. Ain't nobody living inside this head but me and a six foot tall white rabbit. 

11 hours ago, madton said:

Players not meeting Hopkin until Monday.

Gonna be a big week next week then.

The timing of McKinnon’s departure last September, or more precisely the horrible way that it was done, robbed the club of what little forward momentum had been built up and left Morton looking and feeling dead in the water; we struggled to catch up for the rest of the season - and it could be convincingly argued that we never did.

With a new management team and a new chief executive in place things at last are looking up again. And if those three can somehow make it attractive enough to persuade Tidser to sign up again then they will be off to a flyer.

Tids was always an important player for us, but getting him to stay at Cappielow would be more than just a very good addition to the squad. It would be a real statement of intent to help consign what happened, and what was said, last season to the history books.